cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I tow with my Honda Odyssey?

Bluzmar
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Honda Odyssey and are interested in getting our first camper. Getting a new vehicle is not an option, and we have 3 small children. So far I have only looked at pop ups, but I just found a 17' hybrid trailer on Craigslist that I am interested in. The trailer's total dry weight (including the hitch) is 2716 and its GVWR is 3826. It does have a hitch/weight distribution system and an anti-sway bar.

I know the Odyssey can tow 3500#. It has a V6 engine and we plan to get a cooler for the transmission. (And for the power steering too? Is that necessary?) Would it be reasonable to assume that we would keep the weight under 3500 on the trailer, or is that cutting it too close? The van is fairly new and we do want it to last a long time! We live in Florida where it is flat, but we would like to travel all over and be able to drive on mountain roads. (Nothing crazy or off road of course; just your typical family trip to the Smokies for example.). Would this trailer be doable or should we stick with a popup around 1800#?
39 REPLIES 39

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pop up! 3500 lb. tow rating is probably only with a driver in the van. You have three kids and the DW to haul. If it were me, I'd be looking to tow 2500 lbs. or less. It won't kill your van and will allow for adequate power if you do want to head away from the flatlands. And, pop-ups are great with kids. I would suggest trying to find one with a porta potty closet or built in cassette toilet. It's not hard to get by with public showers at campgrounds, but toilet facilities can be less than desired and not always the best for young children.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Toyota Sienna. Our Pop-up is right at the max and tows well, but I wouldn't want to tow a full-height trailer anywhere near the max. We get around 16 MPG towing in FL. The one that you are looking at probably doesn't include any extras such as battery, propane, possibly AC, etc. Realistically, the dry weight before you add your stuff will probably be at or over 3000. With kids especially, it is remarkable the amount of stuff that you "have" to take. The weight will shoot up pretty quickly if you aren't very careful. I'd be looking at Pop-ups if it were me. The biggest disadvantage to Pop-ups is the set-up/tear-down time compared to a TT. Once you get it down though, it isn't too bad. I can go from parked to adult beverage in about 25 minutes if I set everything up. I can make it sleep secure in about 10 minutes if necessary.

You are going to want to make sure whatever you get can use a WDH or you will really need to watch the hitch weight. Mini-vans are designed to move people comfortably and typically have soft rear springs for comfort.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
If you follow the basic rule of thumb that your trailer GVW should not exceed more than 80-90% of your tow vehicle's towing capacity you would need to find a trailer with a GVW of 2800-3150 lbs. The hybrids dry weight almost exceeds that amount. Three kids require a boat load of stuff (literally I have gone on vacations that you couldn't see the bottom of my boat for the bicycles, etc. loaded into it) so your chances of packing light are slim to none. Add in wind resistance of a TT and a pop up seems like a better choice. Have you checked with a Honda dealer about your tow capacity because 3500 lbs seems pretty low to me. Does yours have the Honda tow package? Honda's V6 is a pretty strong engine so maybe some suspension and cooling upgrades will get you a higher tow capacity.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Pop-up

Ditto.
Also a full height trailer's frontal area will exceed the Honda's max.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bluzmar wrote:
.. we plan to get a cooler for the transmission. (And for the power steering too? Is that necessary?)
Power steering gets hot??
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with a popup, too. I have owned a popup, hybrid, travel trailer and a fifth wheel. I pulled our small popup with my Subaru Impreza and it was a great setup. At that time, there were only two of us, plus our dog. We did lots and lots of trips to the beach because we live in the mountains.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
A quick reply: Your engine can handle it; your transmission cannot. 3826 is dry (no chairs, food, clothes, water, etc). .

3826 is not dry, it is the total GVWR for that trailer. very lightly loaded it could be under 3500 lbs. Not a good combination however.
not sure about the odyssey but when I looked at Pilots in 2011 with a towing package they were only rated for a 3500 lb. RV, 5,000 lbs. for a boat.

bumpy

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Pop-up
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the steering cooler is needed because you will be using the vehicle outside its design criteria. This is because you will spend an unusual amount of time maneuvering a trailer into t a camp site. Al that backing requires a lot of slow speed turning which is a load on the PS system and creates lots of heat. A scenario the original vehicle was not designed for.
You may be able to get away without it but in my mind it's worth doing it right to keep you from being stuck someplace with a failed component.
Many Mini vans and other vehicles require it with the "towing package" as well.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
A quick reply: Your engine can handle it; your transmission cannot. 3826 is dry (no chairs, food, clothes, water, etc). It would pull it but you'd need a new transmission very quickly. Remember, the van is a unit-body.

I would stick with a pop-up. Van will pull it great and it will be fun. Amazaing amoutn of room in a pop up.