cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of your HappiJacs?

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned my EC camper for six and one half years and overall it has performed exceptional well considering I full-time in it at White Pass ski area during the winter. One thing that is suspect though is the entire HappiJac system. During my term of ownership I have had the following problems with HappiJacs.

- All 4 jacks replaced at the 4 year mark. Two of them seized and all 4 were very rusted.
- Motherboard failure at the 5 year mark, replaced remote too
- Replaced all jack motors at the 6 year mark. 3 failed within a few months of each other.
- New jacks that are 2 years old are starting to rust and squeal.

The factory has been very good at helping me out, but enough is enough.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000
20 REPLIES 20

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
When the HJ motors become noisy, its time to replace the bearings. If you're handy, it's not too complicated and only costs a few dollars for each motor. I've done all four of mine already and they run like new.

Also, I recently replaced one rear jack new for $250 as it actually failed while raising the camper, seems the worm gear nut rusts and no longer held under load. Made for a very dangerous situation, had it been a front jack I'm sure my TC would have rolled. I believe HJ wrote me and said jack life expectancy is 6 yrs. My jacks are now 10 yrs. old.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Atwoods on my old S&S and never a problem. My friend has Atwoods on his 2008 Lance and just had outer tube rust, but that was the only problem. He uses his camper full-time at the ski area also. Overall they are a more reliable system considering he has owned his camper a year longer than mine and zero mechanical or electrical problems with his jacks.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

iwon415
Explorer
Explorer
I had Atwoods for 7 years and they performed flawlessly.
Have Happijacs on my EC850 and do not like them. They wobble more than the Atwoods. They are much slower than the Atwoods. They are noisier than the Atwoods. They are shorter than the Atwoods and covered in caution labels...

I wish EC would switch to Atwoods.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My HJ's are 15 years old.

I have serviced the fronts 3 times, disassembly and lube.
Have not touched the rears.

I was a bit dismayed that the jacks were dragging after about 3 years but after servicing and them lasting all these years I like my HJ's. They get used a lot for final leveling and storage if needed.

I have some rust on the outer tubes that I sand and touch up with Rustoleum. Rust caused by rocks hitting the jacks in the 160,000+ miles the camper has traveled.

When I got the camper I installed a cut out switch in the 12vdc wire going to the controller. I did not want 12vdc being applied to the controller, forever, 24/7 .... You should not either.

The switch needs to handle at least 50 amps.

This is like the one I installed, 75 amp:

I was lucky to have my battery and the jack power wire near the rear door. I installed the switch where I can reach it when outside the camper.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boatycall wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
I was hoping that the NEWER model Happijacs would be discussed.
Instead, these threads are missing the Happijac model, frequency of use and weight of camper.

Actually, most of the members do have their TC's in their sig's. Most replies are coming from 9-10'ers.

As far as newer, how new? Mine's a 2012... Hopefully for CrappiJac's sake we're not seeing people with TC's newer than mine having issues. Brand new jacks failing... that would be bad.

Hi.

In fact the
"The 4800-HD began shipping in late 2012 for testing at Adventurer Manufacturing on their Eagle Cap 1160 double-slide and 1165 triple-slide truck camper models."
Truck Camper Magazine - April 2014

That would be the Happijac 4800 Heavy Duty Jack System
It is well known that the older models have proven troublesome.
But I am curious about the reliability of the 4800 models.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
My Happijacks are now 11 years old. I had one motor rebuilt by Happijack about 4 years ago. Their service at that time was excellent.

Otherwise, they've performed quite well without any maintenance. I'd better do that this spring. :W
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Instead, these threads are missing the Happijac model, frequency of use and weight of camper.

Actually, most of the members do have their TC's in their sig's. Most replies are coming from 9-10'ers.

As far as newer, how new? Mine's a 2012... Hopefully for CrappiJac's sake we're not seeing people with TC's newer than mine having issues. Brand new jacks failing... that would be bad.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Ours are eight years old. The mother board went a couple of weeks ago, due in part to it being a wired system and the electric connection gave out. $60 to repair or $300 for the wireless, I went wireless and really like it. The wireless controller also works the electric lift for the roof as well.

We load and unload maybe 50-60 times a year.
I have received good service from Happijac. Overall, I am very satisfied with the happijac system.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
I have 9 yo Happijacs on my 2007 Okanagan and have neglected them horribly.....not done ANY maintenance on them and they are still going strong.

Sorry to hear that others are having problems. Not extolling their virtues as I've not had any other jacks.....just relaying my experiences.
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
My happiJacs are 10 years old, but the motors may be 5 or six.
I did pull them apart 2 years ago to clean and re-lube as describe on this forum.
The outside are quite pitted and the inner tubes are rusting. I did refinish them last year, but the gravel roads are hard on them.
I have had no real issues with them.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are about 9 years old and gave worked flawlessly the entire time. There are a couple of small rust spots where rocks chipped the paint and I didn't touch it up, but that would be expected.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We've had trouble with ours from the beginning. We removed them and returned them for servicing (under warranty) at our expense for $180 in shipping. They worked a bit better but still have issues with a loud ratcheting noise. The clutch continuously slips.

DH takes them apart and lubes them annually but they are not all they're purported to be. We too, are considering upgrading to Reico-Titan, if it's possible.

The HJs are so loud and grinding it's embarrassing.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with mine so far, they came on the camper we bought in early 2011. But they have had a very sheltered life as the camper is stored inside when we are not camping in it.
I did have the outside of the jacks recoated in white Rino Liner before they were installed to prevent rock chips and rust. They still look like new.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.