cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Percent Off of MSRP??

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought the ClassC and Class A units, we expected about 20-25% off of MSRP as a final purchase price... Mostly closer to the 25%...
What should we expect on a trailer purchase? What is your experience?

We keep looking for a used unit that we like, but they seem to be very hard to find ---- so we keep going back to looking at new units...
13 REPLIES 13

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
eastcoasthd wrote:
.....and had the up graded 15K BTU a/c.

That's one of the things all the quotes I offered didn't consider. I got every possible feature on our trailer which included the 15k BTU AC. Being in Florida, that's key. I already added a Fantastic Fan and would consider a 2nd one of those or the 2nd wired AC in the bedroom. Still it was nice they added all that extra in and lowered the price to what I wanted.

On my first trailer I got lucky because it was at the end of an RV show and we had negotiated for an 07 Keystone Springdale trailer in July of 07. It took so long for them to agree to the deal I wanted that when they went to finalize the paperwork, they had sold the last 07, so I made them give me the 08 at the same price. We walked with the brand new trailer at 35% off MSRP plus a new WDH+installation and TTL. They were supposed to give me 2 batteries as well, but they backed out on that because they said moving me to the 08 was a better compromise. At that point, I didn't care.

In the end, they'll make a deal to move product. I tried to shake the guys hand to say...see ya, a few times, but he wouldn't do it. He kept knocking the price down until I signed. I stuck to my guns and they eventually caved. If it's worth the fight to you, you'll get the price you want....within reason.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I got 30% off MSRP on a 2013 model that just hit the lot in April of 2012. Also got them to throw in and install the WDH. Lots of variables but anyone settling for only 20% is paying waaaaay too much.

eastcoasthd
Explorer
Explorer
Around 36% off MSRP before TTL.

Bought from an out of state dealer. $4000 less than the local dealer offered and had the up graded 15K BTU a/c.

Well worth the 600 mile round trip!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I actually agreed to a deal on my trailer at an RV show. I then had a chance to do research on pricing across the country while I was waiting for delivery. we had to re-sign the paperwork when I picked up the RV, so I had a chance to re-negotiate or walk. I emailed a list of 20 diff't prices from all over the country for the same model. I took the average and pointed out how I can get better deals elsewhere. The trailer was already delivered to the dealer, so I could either go in and pick it up or walk away. I ended up getting another $3k off the previously agreed upon price and ended up around 30% off MSRP.

I love the trailer, but I love a good deal and my money more. Never hurts to put the pressure on the dealer and see what you get out of it.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought out TT conditions were ideal. It was October, the dealer had three identical units on the lot, and they had been purchased earlier in the year when the Canadian dollar was at peak. They were already marked down 15% from MSRP; we got them down to 33% under.

Remember too that the salesman's natural methods of communication are in-person and by phone, where the talk gets fast and there's little time to digest what's being thrown at you. I communicated exclusively by email, which put me more in the driver's seat.
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

ecksdude
Explorer
Explorer
Method I used was: call every dealer within reasonable driving distance that sells what you want. Get them each to email you their best quote. Let them know you are comparing them to several other dealers and will pick the least expensive one.

Once you get the quotes, take the lowest quote and share it with the dealer you want to use, see if they will match or beat it.

I did exactly this, ended up with about 34% off MSRP.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
It seems part of what is considered a good deal is based on where you live from what has been posted due to delivery expenses.

For comparison, we live in Mid-Michigan, and received about 32% off msrp (before tax/ title/ license) on our '16 Jayco.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, 30% off MSRP is the normal starting price

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I recently learned RV sales makes more on used units than new. Amazing. If a trade in is involved that is a whole different deal. Then you get insulted. As previously said don't be afraid to turn and walk.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted this before.Last day of Dec 5:30PM Show up, ask for manager or highest volume salesman they have. Then tell them you haven't eaten and bring a dinner from any Takeaway, Eat slowly and discuss life with your wife.
Watch them wipe sweat with their ties.
Also, get prices from 3 dealers and keep playing one against another.
Do no talk trade in until deal is made. You may finance through them which will give you a discount, then you have 3 business days to refinance with your fav. Credit Union at 1/3 interest. We have spent years perfecting the "We don't care attitude." and I let my wife talk, the sales people will always address me and I refer them to her. They do not like it.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Remember there is no federally mandated MSRP on RVs. It is totally up to the manufacturer and dealer to put it together. 20%-30% is not unusally depending on how badly they want to sell. Do your homework and figure out what you are willing to pay and go for it.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The sales person always throws out an offer and tells you how good it is. Many buyers just take it. Nothing in the rules that says you can't throw out your buy offer. Believe me what ever your offer is you can't insult those guys. They may act insulted but be prepared to give then an offer and walk. A lot of times they will let you walk. That is OK. Eventually you will learn what they will take. Don't expect a super deal on an RV that just hit the lot and is popular. I keep checking dealers ntil I see what I want. I never talk $$$ on any unit unit I see what I want. I never fall in love with an RV. I always tell the dealer what I don't like. Never what I like. For an example. If one dealer wants to get rid of an RV but thinks I love it they may hold out for a higher price. If I act ho hum I may squeeze them for a better price if I make an offer and walk. It may be his last chance to sell without losing money. JMHO.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I know 20 percent is not out of the question.