cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s it REALLY worth?

manley
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is getting out of RVing for health reasons. He has sold his travel trailer, and thinks he might want to sell his truck as well. I don’t believe he should, because he can’t replace it for what he’d get out of selling it... thus, this question:

What is a clean 2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 2WD, 8.1, Allison transmission, extended cab, loaded (except leather), with 95,XXX miles, worth?

Thanks in advance.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS
32 REPLIES 32

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^True dat!
I sold a perfectly good ext cab once I found a deal on the newish at the time CC trucks.
EC suiting a family “just fine” is relative. You could haul a family of 5 in a Compact car too. 5 belts = good to go right?
However after about age 4 or 5, the kids in the back of a half cab wasn’t cutting it for us.

I agree that it's relative. I was mostly commenting on the "need" part versus what it really is (want). That said, it's other people's money so what they want isn't for me to be concerned about. The market will decide what sells and that's obviously CC over EC these days.

We regularly do haul all 5 of us in a Toyota Tacoma. While it is a 4-door, the backseat is more crowded than our Chevy. Our "wants" may change as the kids grow. Our girls are all 10 or younger but the oldest is almost 5'2" so hardly "little". Check back with me in a few years when we have a CC. 😉

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
newman fulltimer wrote:
Looking online i would say between 10-15k

Where are you looking? If a 2001 with 95,000 on it is worth $10K, then my 2002 with 47,000 should be worth $20K.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^True dat!
I sold a perfectly good ext cab once I found a deal on the newish at the time CC trucks.
EC suiting a family “just fine” is relative. You could haul a family of 5 in a Compact car too. 5 belts = good to go right?
However after about age 4 or 5, the kids in the back of a half cab wasn’t cutting it for us.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
Not knowing what your version of "loaded" is, KBB prices it out between $5800-8700 for a private party sale and $4100-5600 trade in. Realistically, being 17 years old, being loaded Won't add that much. The biggest hit against it is that it's a x-cab truck. Most families nowdays need a CC truck to tote the family around

Crew cabs - they’re not just for crews anymore. 😉

Somehow families managed for years with x-cabs with only 2 doors. Interesting how “needs” change. It probably because the CC truck has become the family 4 door sedan for many. X-cab serves our family of 5 just fine.

I was in the car business from 1999-2007. Early on, the only CC trucks were the 3/4 & 1T trucks by Ford & Chevy. We sold a lot of those trucks to people because they needed to haul their families too. When the first SuperCrews came out in 2001 (I think) the sales of 250/350's were cut in half.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The fact that it’s two wheel drive is a resale-killer, but the 8.1 is a home run.
You need to hold out for a guy looking for an 8.1, probably the best gas engine for heavy duty work ever made. There are people in the know about trucks that look for them.

Extra cab vs crew cab isn’t a big negative. Plenty of people want extra cabs.

If it'a Texas truck, then 4WD is by no means a necessity in this state. I can count on 1 hand how many times I truly needed a 4WD in the last 20 years. Sure, it could bring more bring money if it was, but I guarantee that it will sell quick if it's in clean condition and not abused, which it doesn't sound like it has been.

Plenty of people may want a x-cab, but more want a CC.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you decide on a price add $5,000.00 to it and put it on Craigslist in the RV section. After a week lower it by $1000.00 and so on. Stop lowering it at the price you started with and wait. It will sell, but the 2WD will limit your customers. Put your phone number in the ad and post all the pics that you can.
Parking it in high traffic locations during the day works also. Places like Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight work well and they won't hassle you. Bring it home at night. Move it around if it doesn't get a hit.
Puma 30RKSS

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fact that it’s two wheel drive is a resale-killer, but the 8.1 is a home run.
You need to hold out for a guy looking for an 8.1, probably the best gas engine for heavy duty work ever made. There are people in the know about trucks that look for them.

Extra cab vs crew cab isn’t a big negative. Plenty of people want extra cabs.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
samsontdog wrote:
I have a 2003 F250 Ford Super Cab and have a standing offer of $15K. It has just over 100K on it. I would also say $10K to $15K

What engine does it have?

It has the V10. The best eng that I have ever had and I have had maney
over the last 65 yrs
samsontdog:o:W

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:

Somehow families managed for years with x-cabs with only 2 doors. Interesting how “needs” change. It probably because the CC truck has become the family 4 door sedan for many. X-cab serves our family of 5 just fine.

My observation is early x-cabs were very limited for families.

As a kid, 5th wheels were typically limited to couples without kids. When the x-cab came out, you might see a rare family with one or two kids under 10 uing one. Most families went th suburban or full size van route. It was only as the x-cabs got bigger and provided an opening door that you started to see families start to switch over. The 4-door trucks really changed the game as you could comfortably travel with 4-6 people on long trips, without the back seat passengers having to be under 10.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
Not knowing what your version of "loaded" is, KBB prices it out between $5800-8700 for a private party sale and $4100-5600 trade in. Realistically, being 17 years old, being loaded Won't add that much. The biggest hit against it is that it's a x-cab truck. Most families nowdays need a CC truck to tote the family around

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Good time to move on. Sell it. Don't let him give it away unless to family or a close friend.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Y’all have a blessed day.
Hensley Arrow

manley
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
His truck, let him do what he wants. Don't push too hard for your inheritance yet. It's still his money and property, not yours.

Wow... just wow. What a cynical perspective!
Hensley Arrow