cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your longest TC trip?

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to hear about peoples longest trip they've taken in their truck camper? You don't hear about full timers in tuck campers a lot, but I know they're out there. Other than the obvious problems with small living space and limited holding tanks, I'm curious what were some of the other challenges that were faced when living for a long time in a truck camper.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
64 REPLIES 64

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
We went from the Pacific (San Diego) to the Atlantic (North Carolina and into Florida) We were gone just about 6 weeks.

It was a great trip!

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
I full time in a TC and average 10 to 12 nights backpacking each year, otherwise every night has been in my TC for the last 4 1/2 years. Recently I was in an motorcycle accident, not my choice, but spent 12 nights away from my TC. So it is important to plan for contingencies that may occur, far from your land of comfort zone.

Hardest things about being in a truck camper? Easy, not putting a priority on a solar program and a larger battery bank, when I put my project together. The first two years I spent running a generator every day to meet my electrical demands. The last two years, with my solar, has been a game changer. The other, the lack of familiar faces. By that I mean, when you live someplace, you see the same people, whether it is at the grocery store, bank or café. Not seeing family members, but the up side, they like to meet me out on the road.

The upside? The ultimate solitude. Not seeing or talking to another human being for weeks and the luxury of traveling the Eastern Sierras (US 395) and taking 4 weeks to travel from California City, to Carson City, exploring every day.

What would I change? Not a thing, as I enjoy every day and can't wait to see what I am going to discover next, or who is going to show up and claim one of the beers I keep in the fridge, just for those occasions.

I'm good and learning a lot everyday.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty close to 5000 miles a few times, out around five weeks. Have seen some that live in theirs while they travel but we still like our stick house too.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
Did the seattle to yellowstone trip this last summer. 1300 miles with the wife and 2 daughters. Got a little tight in there at times but it was alot of fun.
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
My first trip was 5000 miles and 2 weeks. Only thing I would change is not bringing my Nephew lol.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.