cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of 4 are dipping our feet in the Truck Camper waters. Ideally we’d like at least a queen with 2 bunks that can hold a 6’ teenager. We’d also like a decent size dry bath. Primary use for this camper will be to sleep in while traveling to national parks. Hard sided is a must because we camp in grizzly country and some spots require hard sided campers.We are buying the truck camper before the truck so no worries there. Decent quality would be good. New or used is fine.

I’ve looked at the Eagle Cap 1165 and 1200... and the Lance 1172 I believe. Really nice but the bunks and dinettes are small.

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

Any suggestions?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
54 REPLIES 54

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I know this is a non-slide model, but Wolf Creek 850's have a 79" long dinette bed. I'm 6'3" 250 and have plenty of extra room. It wouldn't be as wide as others, but the length is there!

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think Air mattress not cots. Heck, we have had 5 adults sleep in our TC; 2 in the bed, 2 on dinette, 1 on floor with air mattress when weather got crazy bad. OK-it was crowded, but it worked. 4 really is no problem with a slide...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

That would certainly resolve the "sleeps 4" issue after a night or two... Once the bears have eaten the kids...

Not worth the risk. I wouldn't want to chance losing all those tax deductions.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Find a Lance 1191 with rear tent option or Host has the rear tent option as well.

A tent is not an option for me.
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Find a Lance 1191 with rear tent option or Host has the rear tent option as well.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
We travel 2 adults, 2 teen boys, and 70# lab. Single slide EC850, No worries, have a ball. We are typically outside and on the go. However , we have had some rainy/movie nights, or ski trips, where we are all in chillin. Love the TC. Get a slide for sure, the floor space makes the difference. That non slide Northstar davidzoo has is quite a nice unit also- I saw his at the dealer.
Thats us too...what’s your sleeping arrangements?

For us... if we’re not traveling, we’re outside either hiking, kayaking, fishing etc... If we’re inside we’re sleeping, reading or just chilling out. We don’t need much. Your typical class c won’t work either because of where we go. A HD one may be doable. Actually looking at adventure style vans. As for a TT, definitely won’t work.

Thanks all for the help.

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent? We did as kids and loved it while M&D slept in the station wagon. Two cots in a TC? You must be kidding.
I found out on another forum 2 cots will fit in a EC 1165/1200. Still not ideal.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel 2 adults, 2 teen boys, and 70# lab. Single slide EC850, No worries, have a ball. We are typically outside and on the go. However , we have had some rainy/movie nights, or ski trips, where we are all in chillin. Love the TC. Get a slide for sure, the floor space makes the difference. That non slide Northstar davidzoo has is quite a nice unit also- I saw his at the dealer.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

That would certainly resolve the "sleeps 4" issue after a night or two... Once the bears have eaten the kids...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
One “adult” can sleep diagonal on the dinette and another on a pad on the floor. We still do 5 in our 9.5’. The oldest is 5’6” and uses the floor when not in a tent. The other 2 still fit on the dinette. Cozy is just fine as long as it’s not full time.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
John & Christine wrote:

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

No room for two cots, probably not even 1 in all the campers I've been in.

I don't think a bunk will have the weight capacity for a 6' teenager.

Another idea is towing a short cargo trailer additional gear hauling and sleeping capacity. (BBQ, Lawn Chairs, etc)

I used a 6x10 cargo trailer as my sleeping area for 10 years. It replaced my tent. It worked very well. Just get one with an RV style door, not a cargo trailer style "cam-lock / bar latch" on the door.

I currently use a 7x12 enclosed trailer with my truck camper. To me, It's as essential as having food in the fridge when I go places.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
Have you looked at NorthSTAR 12' STC?

We have traveled extensively (up to 2 months at a time) with our 2 teen boys in the STC. There is a very sturdy flip-down bunk above the dinette (though headroom up there is tight), and a huge u-dinette for a bed, not those short ones that fit only 3rd graders.

Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

OP mentioned needing hardside in bear country...kind of excludes using a tent for teens, and who needs extra baggage dragging another unit behind (then just get a TT)?
Depending on your family dynamics, 4 folks in a TC for more than a night is really no problem...but might not work for all. Some just need more space and privacy, I suppose. That is why we have the great outdoors!

Huge dry bath. TONS of storage. Rex the owner of Northstar is a pleasure to work with, including some customization, and Bill at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH is equally superior in customer service.
Thanks everyone for the help.

This just might work.

We’re used to cramped conditions. We traveled cross country twice in a Jeep Unlimited. Slept in that Jeep 26 nights between Massachusetts and SoCal. The TC will be like a condo. I just want a comfortable place for the kids. Also like I said we’re going to be in bear country next year on an Alaskan trip.

Thanks

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at NorthSTAR 12' STC?

We have traveled extensively (up to 2 months at a time) with our 2 teen boys in the STC. There is a very sturdy flip-down bunk above the dinette (though headroom up there is tight), and a huge u-dinette for a bed, not those short ones that fit only 3rd graders.

Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

OP mentioned needing hardside in bear country...kind of excludes using a tent for teens, and who needs extra baggage dragging another unit behind (then just get a TT)?
Depending on your family dynamics, 4 folks in a TC for more than a night is really no problem...but might not work for all. Some just need more space and privacy, I suppose. That is why we have the great outdoors!

Huge dry bath. TONS of storage. Rex the owner of Northstar is a pleasure to work with, including some customization, and Bill at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH is equally superior in customer service.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really want to get rid of your kids? You need to put them in a tent.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 11' TC for many years. I loved it when it was just me and the wife. With two young sons it was tight but we made due. When our daughter was born we gave up. It was just too small.
I have continued trying to find a suitable TC for the whole family. I can't find one. They just aren't made for more than 2 or possibly 3 adults. The Lance 1131 mentioned with the flip out tent is a possible option. Also the Lance 830 and 1040 also had the tent option. I was never interested in those because I didn't want the noisy, insulation, and security issues of the tent enclosure.