cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the heck is Tow/haul for?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2013 F150 302V8, 6spd auto, 4x4, long box, extended cab.

I am now hauling a 2100kg TT and am wondering what does pressing the Tow/Haul button does.
What would I notice with and without using it?
37 REPLIES 37

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Two times when looking at a new towing truck both salesman's knew what they were selling. One ford and one dodge . It was a surprise. Last 2 chev's we bought the salesman were car guys and didn't have a clue. It didn't matter on the chevs because I knew what we wanted.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcsmoke wrote:
why would you take delivery on a vehicle you're not familar with? The salesman should have explained the trucks features or at a minumum you should have asked.

A vehicle salesman explaining the features of any vehicle ? My experience is that if they don't know the answer...which is usually the case....then they make it up.

The only person at a dealership that usually has a clue is the service manager.

This forum is about the best place to ask a technical question regarding towing. Where would you find a more knowledgeable group ?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
In all fairness to #3. The manual also does not specify how the vehicle moves forward when you put it in "D". So to specify using tow/haul when you are towing or hauling is consistent. It is not a service/shop manual. I am assuming the op was referring to the owners manual.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1 Most sales people are useless when it comes to this kind of information. I researched my truck for over a year and knew every detail, every option, what was included with what package, what color combos were available etc etc before I started to talk to a sales person. Its sad, but its true.

#2 The job of a service writer is to get you to purchase as much service as neccessary. They rarely know anything about the vehicle, but know enough jargon to confuse some people into buying unncessary service.

#3 I agree that most owners manuals now do a poor job of explaining some features. In essence, most tow/haul modes do a couple of things; they adjust your shift points higher so you get into higher RPM's before shifting (more power), they downshift when you brake (more stopping power) and often times they increase line pressure to the transmission (better cooling).

#4 The trailer isn't overly huge, but its not a walk in the park either. 4600 lbs dry can be well over 5500 lbs loaded. Pulling that up a hill or keeping it under control down a hill requires more work on the truck. I use tow haul on my truck when pulling my camper thats only 1000 lbs heavier.

#5 A gas engine isn't overworking at 5000 RPM. Your redline is probably well into the 6000 range. Redline is the RPM that you do not want to exceed. If you are driving UP the hill, 5000 RPM will gulp down gas faster than you would ever want to know. Going DOWN the hill you shouldn't be using gas, just using the engine for assistance braking. Obviously you don't want to be doing 5000 RPM in 1st gear. Ideally you have slowed down enough BEFORE you get to the hill that you aren't constantly revving 5000 RPM the entire time. Between your brakes and engine braking you should be able to slow down enough that your RPMs drop. I was in the mountains 2 weeks ago comeing down a 12% grade through some windy roads. I had the trans in 2nd gear and it was up around 4500 RPM's. I would still pick up speed and had to occasionally use the brakes to keep my speed steady and at a comfortable rate. It felt a little uneasy hearing that engine roar (I have a louder aftermarket exhaust), but the truck handled it fine and kept the speeds reasonable on that steep grade. Engine builders know what they are doing, you just have to learn to be comfortable with the engine revving that high. Its like riding a sportbike... those suckers can get up to 13K RPMs. Feels awful weird the first couple times hearing that engine scream, but thats what they are designed for. Same with your gas truck engine.

#6 Usually the trans gauge is an "idiot light", not a great representation of your trans temp. Usually by the time you notice that the needle is rising, you are getting pretty hot temps. If you have the ability to see your actual transmission temperature, that is the best. You can know that your truck is usually 180 degrees, but goes up to 200 when you are towing. If you see it start to creep up to 210... you know that its hotter then normal and can start to closely monitor it. If your truck doesn't offer that, you might be able to buy a Scangauge tool and monitor your temps via a OBD sensor.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information.

1) Salesperson was useless on this. They know lots about how to use the MyFord Sync, and how it has almost unbreakable headlamps, but the real nity grity stuff, no clue.

2) Service writers, know about the same: Use it when towing or hauling.

3) Service manual is useless too. Does not say what it does, just to use it.

4) The trailer is 2100KG, which is 4600lbs.

5) is the engine screaming at 5000RPM a good thing going down a hill?

6) There is a Tranny Temp Gauge.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Tow/Haul (has to do with towing and hauling with 'that' vehicle) is for folks
who do NOT either want to or know HOW2 manage and shift a manual tranny themselves

'Automatic' is a tranny that shifts through the gears 'automatically' using
look up tables on HOW2 shift

After too many burned up automatics and the warranties that must have come...the
OEMs invented the 'Tow/Haul' button to further change the look up tables. Telling
the computer that this vehicle is 'hauling' or 'towing' something.

Mainly to protect the automatic from harming itself by NOT staying in a gear
long 'enough', or shifting down a gear to reduce the loading on the engine (both
gasser and diesel...aka ICE)

Amazingly, folks try to defeat the safeties dialed in when the 'Tow/Haul' button
is switched on...to then risk the issues the OEM has invented the 'tow/haul'
button to prevent or avoid
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take the truck for a ride..........then push the dang tow/haul button

You will then notice the difference between it being ON & OFF

Push the dang button!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
OregonSVT wrote:
naturist wrote:
Don't get wrapped up in and all butt-hurt about it. Teaching you to ask questions of the salesman when you pick up the truck, after just giving him enough money to justify a few minutes of his time 'splaining such details constitutes the real meat of the comment.

Umm, not sure when the last time you bought a vehicle was, but trust me, the sales people are not the ones you want to be asking questions to. Follow their advice and your wallet will be the one getting "butt-hurt".

Well, ya got me there. Last time I bought a new vehicle was 2005, but I have noticed an alarming trend in the direction you cited for many products. And a tragedy it is. I shall take your comments under advisement the next time I pass through an auto dealer's establishment and go to the trouble of finding somebody who actually knows stuff should I have questions.

I know all of this is off topic but it bears repeating. When I make a major purchase I make it my business to always know the product better than the salesperson. If you don't, you can make a serious and costly mistake. BTW, knowing more than the salesperson is usually pretty easy too.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
OregonSVT wrote:
naturist wrote:
Don't get wrapped up in and all butt-hurt about it. Teaching you to ask questions of the salesman when you pick up the truck, after just giving him enough money to justify a few minutes of his time 'splaining such details constitutes the real meat of the comment.

Umm, not sure when the last time you bought a vehicle was, but trust me, the sales people are not the ones you want to be asking questions to. Follow their advice and your wallet will be the one getting "butt-hurt".

Well, ya got me there. Last time I bought a new vehicle was 2005, but I have noticed an alarming trend in the direction you cited for many products. And a tragedy it is. I shall take your comments under advisement the next time I pass through an auto dealer's establishment and go to the trouble of finding somebody who actually knows stuff should I have questions.

OregonSVT
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

I've bought multiple new Fords in the last couple years and the sales people have very little product knowledge, which is really scary. I would guess about 70% of them can't even operate the SYNC system in the vehicle or even know that F series trucks have "tow/haul". They are there to sell vehicles and get as much money for them as possible. They aren't their to educate you on every feature of your vehicle, though I would think that it would help them sell cars if they were.

Now to keep this thread on topic, as others have stated, it changes the way the transmission shifts and will cause the vehilce to downshift to maintain speed when going down hill. It also keeps the revs up higher. Depending on your trailer size, you should probably lock the truck out of going into 6th gear when towing. This can be done by using the little toggle switch on the gear shift and watching the display on the dash. Pressing the down arrow will lock out gears, I think Ford refers to it as select shift.
2012 Ford F-150 Raptor | 2007 Airstream Basecamp

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, my owner's manual advises that tow/haul mode will produce a harsh ride unless towing at 75%+ of GCWR.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Tow haul mode, either GM or Ford, do the same thing: They hold the shift points of the transmission longer, and ensure the shift is firm vs. soft. As stated already, this helps with slipage and ensures you have the power you need when towing. If you dont' use it, it will still tow...but over time and miles of towing, you can overheat and damage the XSMN. Tow haul mode is a good thing.

Additionally, read the manual...there is good stuff in there, honest.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest things you'll notice is that it changes the shift points, is quicker to downshift when you hit a hill or get on the gas, and downshifts when you tap the brakes going downhill to enable engine braking. It might also affect some other stuff that is less visible to the driver that I am not aware of.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think it will help you so much towing a trailer that light. I use mine towing my 9000# travel trailer, but not my 1500# boat. I barely notice the boat is behind the truck in the first place...in my opinion I do not need to worry about heat and shifting, braking etc... However, when I pull the travel trailer, I monitor all of those things.

Best of luck with your new truck!
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
Have you read the owners manual? I think I would trust it more than anecdotal explanations from anonymous folks who may or may not know. Trust me it is in there.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

X2