cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy...I need a little advice!

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying my 1st RV, and have done lots of looking and thinking but have a basic decision I need help with.

My wife and I plan to spend 2-4 months on the road each summer once she retires next year. I have been planning to buy a 26' TT with an unloaded weight of 4500-5100 lbs. Of course we would add appr. 1500 lbs or so to that in cargo, our own weight, fluids, etc. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L gas engine with a tow limit of 8700 lbs.

I am buying used, and am finding mostly larger units available. I'm considering a couple now that are 32 ft and about 6300 lbs dry.

Of course the bigger units will be much more comfortable considering we will be full-timing for up to four months.

My question: will 6 feet in length and 1500-2000 lbs be a big difference in towing issues and gas costs?

Obviously, if I were jumping from a 20' to a 32' the answer would be yes.

I only want to make this purchase once, and avoid the moving up or down in size that so many people seem to do. Also, I can't afford to get a bigger truck.

Please let me hear from someone with experience! Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to the payload guys. I had a 2007 Ram 1500 hemi, tons of power but the factory 20 inch tires restricted the payload to 1040 lbs. I had upgraded to LT tires so I was OK exceeding payload number slightly (5200 lb tt) for one season. Now have 2015 silverado half ton 1635 lbs payload and towing experience is a lot more comfortable. Mostly mentally as I am not exceeding limits, and an added bonus the 5.3 gets a lot better fuel mileage towing than the hemi. The point of the story is to check your door sticker carefully.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
See if you can find any of Jayco's MBH models used. It's a murphy bed in the 23-26 foot range. As a half-ton owner, it's the best compromise I've found for half-ton towable and space without going the hybrid route. It gets lots of good feedback on the Jayco forum.

I have an F-150 with 9500 lb tow rating but the cargo limit is what kills you. I have a high payload for a 1/2 ton but I'm still limited to around 1,000 tongue weight. I use 6500 lb loaded as my limit. Still shopping . . .
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a half-ton peaks out with a TT of about 5000 lbs. dry weight. When loaded the tongue weight will be about 700 lbs. If you add people, supplies and truck accessories you use up the TV cargo capacity rather quickly.

While there is no doubt bigger is better, smaller is doable. Our first trip was with an F-150 with a V6 200 hp motor. Annoyingly slow, we poked our way down to the Ozarks and back.

The right TV is just as important as the right TT, a decision that should not be rushed into.

Floor plan, tow vehicle and cost all have to be right.

My wife likes to hunt down quilt shops so our 25 ft TT is about as big of a TT as I care to weave through the city streets.

Buying a TT is not a race.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
That extra 6 ft will not make a lot of difference in towing and gas issues BUT will make a WHOLE LOT in the comfort and how liveable the TT is. Experience told me..
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go that big with a half ton.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just forget about MPG. Luckily, gas is at a real low price point, currently.

Buy a TT that is under all the ratings of your truck. Allow some wiggle room. Otherwise, you will be miserable on every trip and your tow vehicle will start paying the price.

If I was planning on cruising for 2-4 mos. every summer, a bigger truck would be in the budget. The larger trucks tow so much better.

If you have to keep the Ram, focus your towing limits around the payload capacity of the truck, not the maximum towing limits. You'll run out of payload capacity long before you reach the max tow limits.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is the "payload" rating of your truck? The sticker in the door of your truck will tell you the GVWR of your truck and it will have something to the effect of "the weight of cargo and passengers shall not exceed xxx lbs.". That is your payload rating and the place you need to start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you need a heavier truck. ,you,ll get better braking and much better preformence.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely your limit will be your Tow Vehicle (TV) cargo capacity or pay load.
For example,
• My 5000 lb. dry weight Travel Trailer (TT)weights 6200 lbs. loaded for a trip. Tongue weight is about 700 lbs.
• My F-150 is rated to pull 9500 lbs. but it has a cargo capacity of 1411 lbs. That is what it was designed to carry. That leaves me with 711 lbs. of cargo.
• My DW and I plus our dog and the truck cap with our gear weight about 700 lbs.
• According to the CAT scales we are at or slightly over our TV weight limit when we tow.

As for gas mileage expect 9 to 10 mpg and you will not be too far off. I assume your TV has the towing package.

Also the only weight numbers that count are the ones you get from the scales.

Unless you are in a real hurry, rent a TT similar to what you think you want. It is a tad expensive but it answers a lot of questions very quickly; without the big cash outlay.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
Your gaser can pull your tt but can you stop that tt with your non heavy duty brakes and going up hills and down hills takes a toll on your gaser engine as it dose not have engine braking built in to it so those may be somethings to look at maybe buy a 2500 for your basic needs not a 3500 its to much truck for that little tt you have.