cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to Do With Holes in A-Frame?

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the Reese Dual Cam from our trailer and prepped it to receive the Equalizer set-up. There are holes left in the frame that I was going to put rubber plugs in to prevent water entry. Should I put the screws back in for some tension since I'm not welding the holes closed? I don't think there is any structural concern as the holes are in the sidewall of the tubing, not the top or bottom flanges..
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE
5 REPLIES 5

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just painted my holes and moved along. The front of the frame rails are wide open and I am not concerned about them in the least
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get some automotive body filler. Fill the holes, sand, paint. Gone forever and it has worked on cars for decades!

You'll soon forget that there were ever holes there.
RVing since 1995.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
The side walls is the structural part off the a frame not the top or bottom, if concerned you could have plates welded to sides but they have to be cut at 45 degrees at end for welding or the weld will further weaken frame.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The sealant idea is great as it will last longer than rubber plugs due to UV exposure alone.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get some bolts with the same dia. and thread pitch and put them in the holes along with washers. Go an autobody supply shop and get a tube of black "seam sealer" and seal between the washer and frame and around bolt head to keep water out. This sealer will be under $10 but you'll need a caulking gun. They might have a small tube available somewhere but I've never looked. You can buy washers and bolts with the same gold cad plating color as the Reese ones if you want.

Am not a structual engineer but I would say that the A-frame "tubing" is a low stress area where the brackets go and there will be no problems unless it looks like swiss cheese for some reason. There are lots of other places on your frame that are much higher stress to worry about first. I'd be more concerned about keeping water out.