Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whazoo's Trip of a different color

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Still trying to stay in the game...
Trip Report of a Different Color

on edit, just changed the title to what it is.
22 REPLIES 22

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
I did find a PBS article regarding the The AHSR, looks like the San Manuel Tribe owns it now.

Arrowhead Springs Resort

Also a great video on the complete history of this amazing place. The hotel you talk about Whazoo is the 4th hotel on that property, all the previous ones burned down.

Video

Fabulous, thank you very much!! I was fortunate to have been involved in a tiny part of its history, and to have it as such a large part of mine. The diving boards were still at the pool when I swam there, long gone now, along with my ability to do a one and a half off the low board hah.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did find a PBS article regarding the The AHSR, looks like the San Manuel Tribe owns it now.

Arrowhead Springs Resort

Also a great video on the complete history of this amazing place. The hotel you talk about Whazoo is the 4th hotel on that property, all the previous ones burned down.

Video
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We used to live on that mountain......nice report.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for posting that great report! Terrific photos, terrific stories.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great story and pictures Dave. Razor looks fun. Looks like you could use that trailer to tow the Outfitter. Put the Razor in the bed of the truck. My bro just got one too and an enclosed trailer. He's at Noxon Reservoir riding now. He also got a nice enclosed trailer for it that had been sitting 5 years. A tire blew out near Moses Lake so he went to Schwab and bought all new tires. I hope your return trip has some backroads in it. Amazing scenery between Phoenix and Boise. Take care.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Another great TR, great pics, great stories and learning a little of your background, you know how to have fun Dave! Your RZR looks similar to ours, we haven't used ours for awhile, I think it's time for a trip to the Cinders, too bad you moved. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it makes me smile!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Grant! No we didn't stop at Manzanar since my priorities were elsewhere. If you've ever seen Bad Day At Black Rock with Spencer Tracy it was filmed very close by as well and the scenery does justice to what the Japanese had to live through in the desolation of the desert. We've driven by it so many times before it became a historical site that we don't even think of it until we see a guard tower, then think of the sad day it was in the life of our country. It would definitely be a good stop though and I should have before now, especially having lived with the Japanese people off base for two of the four years we were in Japan. Thanks Grant, I sure hope your Labs are doing great!!

LabMan1945
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for another great report! I just found it this evening ans spent more than ample time to read and reread the report. It is always enjoyable to visit places we enjoyed as youngsters however sometimes it does led to extreme disappointment!
Did you happen to stop at Manzanar on your way down 395? If not you ought to make a visit on one of your trips south.
Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Cal, Yes I thought driving was a better deal yet for some reason my left sciatic nerve really went ballistic. Thank goodness for cruise control, I sat sideways the whole trip. No problems now though thankfully. Thanks Cal!!

"As always Dave, you get out and tell us the most amazing tales." Thank you Mike, you always give the most amazing replies, I'm always appreciative.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" I like it Bob and wish I had said it.

Hola Patrick, I sure as heck always enjoy your response and thank you for every one.

Howdy Mr. Phelps, I sure enjoyed making that one because of the personal history and am happy you liked it!

Hi Ya Crazy Creek, A big thank you and hope you're getting plenty of camping and boating in, if I remember correctly lol.

Joerg! Well I figure to have tortured you enough with trip reports and doubt I'd want to with a book, but you never know. Thank you Joerg...

Hi Ben, Tagging the bases, sounds like a military joke Ben. But no kidding, it's fun to use the camper as a time machine and I hope to do it again soon. Thank you Ben, catch you later

Thanks a bunch there Raystar, it was fun trio for sure

sljohnson, Well if you did happen to read all of it I'd think you to be the first. Personally I just look at the pictures but thank you very much

Tiger! You moved inland? Well so maybe I've piqued your interest in the Arrowhead, you can see it from almost anywhere in the valley. Hope you're well Sir.

Hey Terry, No kidding an 8 state trip! When I do these trip reports I know for a fact I do little compared to others and nothing compared to you. Your trips would take me a lifetime to make a TR from and I can't begin to imagine them. I did stay one night in the Northern Swell last year and remembered you saying I wouldn't be too impressed. Well I sure liked what I saw and hope to make it back this winter. I even missed the best parts and still liked it! See ya Terry, thanks.

996Pilot, Hi Dan! So don't look too long up here, prices are doing what they've done elsewhere and good deals are going fast. And yes I do like the drive up 395 to 95 for scenery and old haunts. We used to sand buggy a lot of places along the way and could still see ourselves running the dirt. I don't find the roads all that desolate and I'm sure you'd enjoy them as well. Overall it is not a scenic drive though unless you like open desert and uncrowded roads lol.

Thanks you guys, you've always treated me well here at rv.net and I always wished to know you all personally, this is the best fun. So long for now!

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report Dave. Awesome pics of the hotel, that place looks fantastic. Was just thinking of you as I was talking to Nelson's RV this morning about taking my Apex 8 in trade on an Arctic Fox 811 (he's got a ton of them). Plus we're still looking in the Treasure Valley for a house.

So is the fastest route 395/95 through Winnemucca-eastern sierra-etc? If so, how are those long stretches thru Nevada and southeastern Oregon? How desolate are they?
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

terryrey
Explorer
Explorer
Dave: You are a truly gifted photographer and journalist! I love your trip reports (and your truck and camper...) Every once in a while I think back on my growing up years in Montana - motorcycles, cars, camping, exploring, girls and all of the crazy things we did - and am amazed that I survived to adulthood. However, I think you have me beat in the surviving department. By the way, we were on US395 and the Eastern Sierra in May - part of a 4400 mile, 4 week, 8 state road trip with the truck and camper. Terry

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
As usual, an outstanding TR. Thanks for sharing your trip.

You did get your usual red dirt color in at the end.

As a recent transplant to the Inland Empire, I was glad to learn about Arrowhead Springs.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the report, I read all of it (well maybe most).
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Raystar57
Explorer
Explorer
Great report and nice photography!
Having some off road fun too!