cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Bearing Temps & Test Drive

aluminum_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 KZ RV CL164 and repacked the bearings this spring (single 3500# axle). I have done bearings before (on a small pop-up) but never took the temp with and IR temperature gun.

Here is what I found. I don't have time to take it for a longer trip before my big vacation trip. Otherwise I would.

About a 40 mile round trip broke up into there and back segments with an hour in between. I dragged it along to an appointment. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

After coming back the bearings were 85 degrees F. I sparingly used the brakes (manual transmission helps out with that) to get a more accurate reading as well. The latest Good Sam magazine said 165-185F was typical bearing temps. I would think that if they were too tight they would have gotten hotter than 85F in that time. Correct thinking?

I did check after the repack and there was a small amount of 'wiggle' in the rim (bearings)... grabbing the rim and rocking back and forth.

The rubber temperature of the tire (sidewalls and tread) was also 85F as a side note.

Any suggestions, comments or concerns?
16 REPLIES 16

aluminum_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
About 64F & cloudy.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What was the ambient temp? That has a lot to do with it. You wouldn't get an 85* reading on a 95* day (like it is here today)....