cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer
After going to a few RV shows, it’s just incredibly frustating that we can’t seem to find a travel trailer that doesn’t look and feel like it was designed back in the 80’s.
Closest i’ve seen to what we want is Airstream, but they seem ridiculously overpriced.
Looking outside the US, of course there are some amazing options, all in the $30-40k range equivalent. Where are the US manufacturers who can come close to this?
http://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/alpina/
or this
http://www.coachman.co.uk/vip
The fit and finish, interior quality all seem lightyears beyond what we have available here. And they’re around half the price of an equivalent Airstream
Anyone know if anyone is importing these anytime soon?
80 REPLIES 80

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we have an importer setup in the US now for these. Ran across them on another forum. Can't believe I wasn't up to speed on these... Curious if RobertRyan has any knowledge of the parent company?
Black Series Campers

1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The plain truth is not everyone wants the Euro look. To me they look like my mom's 1950s kitchen.

But for those who like to complain about TTs, it is another option.

Your money, your choice.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Baloney - a "camper" is anything with wheels designed for the purpose of camping that you want it to be - popup, hybrid, travel trailer, TC, 5th, MH, whatever, or in places like Australia a car camper, poptop, caravan, whatever you want to call them - they're ALL campers. :R

a "camper" is something you camp in.
JMHO
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. :R

trail-explorer wrote:
That's a travel trailer (or Caravan) not a camper.
A camper is something that's hauled in a truck, i.e., Truck camper

Baloney - a "camper" is anything with wheels designed for the purpose of camping that you want it to be - popup, hybrid, travel trailer, TC, 5th, MH, whatever, or in places like Australia a car camper, poptop, caravan, whatever you want to call them - they're ALL campers. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
A few more modest Slideouts

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. :R

That's a travel trailer (or Caravan) not a camper.
A camper is something that's hauled in a truck, i.e., Truck camper
Bob

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bumproad wrote:
wow, do they have any issues with that one very long slideout? I don't understand your comment on the lack of ergonomics, when buying a RV I always imagine myself doing needed tasks, standing in shower, watching TV, etc. If it doesn't work, I don't buy it.
bumpy

It is how effective the interior layouts are. Europeans do a very good job with no slides.
As far as the slides go, others have similar on Motorhomes as well

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:
Rather frustrating that one domestic manufacturer, Airstream, knows how to do interiors properly. They're popular so clearly people like them. But those interiors aren't worth the 100k asking price. A mid-high end manufacturer like Lance should be able to do the same? Instead, we just get "grandma's kitchen"...

Here's an idea for you that would be less expensive than paying the premium for an Airstream. Find a trailer that has the basic layout you like, then re-fit the interior to whatever suits your tastes.

The truth is, these little homes on wheels are actually pretty small, so the list of materials for an interior re-fit is minimal. Do it yourself, and it would be a fun project with results that would make YOU happy.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Proteus wrote:
Rather frustrating that one domestic manufacturer, Airstream, knows how to do interiors properly. They're popular so clearly people like them. But those interiors aren't worth the 100k asking price. A mid-high end manufacturer like Lance should be able to do the same? Instead, we just get "grandma's kitchen"...

AS you said they are popular so they are worth it to some/many.
However like many of the Euro and Aussie models poste,
they lack slides and interior space that the majority of RV'ers are looking for.

Do not know if I said this before but Australia Caravans have slides, European ones do not. US Travel Trailers are dark and poor ergonomically.

wow, do they have any issues with that one very long slideout? I don't understand your comment on the lack of ergonomics, when buying a RV I always imagine myself doing needed tasks, standing in shower, watching TV, etc. If it doesn't work, I don't buy it.
bumpy

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Proteus wrote:

they lack slides and interior space that the majority of RV'ers are looking for.

Do not know if I said this before but Australia Caravans have slides, European ones do not. US Travel Trailers are dark and poor ergonomically.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
If the LG Max is too small, you won't like my choices. These trailers are not the "big white box". I love my T@B 320, BTW.

T@B 400
Alto (Canadian)
Oliver (very nice but pricey)
Park Liner

And I'm so excited to see that the Hymer USA's Touring GT trailer(s) are hitting the dealers. I have yet to see one in stock, but they're accepting orders.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
So far....YUK ??

Yes have heard that expression regarding US RV's. European ones they are not as negative.
Some actually do last.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
So far....YUK ??
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand overall, I do think most of our models are poorly assembled.

After looking at a few US 5th wheelers could not agree more.
That is what lets US RV' s down is a pretty slapdash finish. .Then you can throw in colours etc and you get a NO SALE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Proteus wrote:

No Europeans Do not have slides. We have multislides:h

Great I'm glad to hear all your models are not small and cramped.
On the other hand overall, I do think most of our models are poorly assembled.
Nevertheless I don't see Aussie models transforming the US market nor do I see US models transforming the Aussie market.
There are too many other factors that differentiate the two markets besides floorplans.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide