cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is My Antenna?

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
On my last camping trip, the FM wasn't coming in well, so I thought maybe the antenna needed extended or was laid back too far. I walked around and did not see it from the ground, so I pulled out the ladder and found that there is no antenna. I then thought that maybe the Winegard antenna had an FM element, but the book doesn't mention it, and it didn't seem to make a difference when messing with it. The stereo is a standard Jensen mounted on a cabinet. Before I pull out the square drive and pry bar and start removing panels and the stereo, I thought I would ask here if there are other options for antennas; my last trailer had the standard roof mounted spring car type. It's not super important to have an antenna, and in the almost two years I've had the trailer whatever setup it has is ok, but I usually find a local station where I am camping to hear about local events and weather so its a "nice to have", probably not worth poking a hole in the roof to add one. Thanks for any help.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10
9 REPLIES 9

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it’s not integrated with your TV antenna, then it’s in the roof with a nail through it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
The AM/FM radio on my Starcraft uses the TV antenna. The antenna booster must be turned on for it to work properly....says so right in the owners manual.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My last TT, a Skyline Koala 21CS, did not have an external radio antenna. My current Jayco 23RB does have an external spring mounted radio antenna.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just another cost savings for the industry and a PITA for the owner.
My previous camper had the antenna on the side and it swiveled. Might be the solution for you.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I made a J-pole antenna for listening to FM. It deploys on the side of the trailer using one of those broom holder clips. It is long so I don't bring it along on all trips because it's a problem to store and gets in the way. In those cases, I hook up my stereo receiver to a piece of wire.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a good ol spring loaded AM-FM Antenna on the roof.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my TT the FM antenna connects to the TV antenna. It is directional and is best when raised and pointed at the station. The AM antenna is non-existent. There is no antenna plugged into the port on the back of the Radio/DVD player.

The trailer was used but I do not see any signs of the spring loaded whip that usually is mounted on the roof or side of the TT. I do not think there ever was one.

I could of course add one but we have never used the AM radio and mostly use the unit to watch DVDs so there is my much incentive to do so.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was a wire laid across the rafters in the ceiling. It worked "ok". When I upgraded my stereo, I also added a real antenna. Works great now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
look BEHIND the radio.

Typically, most RVs the radio is not connected to an external antenna, instead it is often a simple single wire that is either tacked to the wall behind the radio or laying in a jumbled mess of wires from the radio.