Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which truck to get?

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I just retired after teaching for 32 years! I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and right now pull it with my 2008 Mercedes ML350. I would like to do some longer out of state trips (Smokies, Badlands and on out to Glacier) in the next few years and know that I really need a truck. I don't want a huge one, but want enough to have confidence for mountains. Do I need a diesel? Transmission? Brakes?
Everyone has their personal favorite, but I am a widow and really want a reliable safe truck to pull my smaller (4500lbs) trailer.
Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
Has some quirks, but more bells and whistles over they Toy.

can't speak for the tundra, but based on my Tacoma LImited, exactly what bell or whistle am I lacking?
bumpy

Take an loaded F-150 for a test drive and play around with all the features, especially all the buried on screen display gadgets. Its got a lot more to play with compared to the Tunrda. I cannot possibly make a list. None of which sway me to buy one, but I'm giving credit where its due.

And regarding the small fuel tank, that WAS an issue. They have since bumped it way up to 38 gallons as someone else mentioned.

I still haven't figured out all of the buried on screen display gadgets of my Tacoma. I don't really consider them to be much of a plus. 🙂
oh my neighbor has a new F-150 and it does have running boards that automatically extend and a ladder in the tailgate. neither of which I would add on if it was an option, and of course it cost $20,000 more than my Tacoma.
bumpy

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:

can't speak for the tundra, but based on my Tacoma LImited, exactly what bell or whistle am I lacking?
bumpy

Take an loaded F-150 for a test drive and play around with all the features, especially all the buried on screen display gadgets. Its got a lot more to play with compared to the Tunrda. I cannot possibly make a list. None of which sway me to buy one, but I'm giving credit where its due.

And regarding the small fuel tank, that WAS an issue. They have since bumped it way up to 38 gallons as someone else mentioned.

braindead1684
Explorer
Explorer
With the mountains you will find the Exhaust braking will be a tremendous advantage if you get a diesel.

The Canyon/Colorado with the "baby" duramax is a great truck and rated to 7600lbs has a built in brake controller, and exhaust brake. The diesels tow at a lower RPM and will make going up the hills much smoother as the truck will not have to downshift to hit the higher RPM of a gas engine.

Also if you drive the truck around much you will appreciate the real world 24-36MPG. (Yes i have one and have hit 36MPG with a 4x4 truck doing 65MPH for 40miles)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2004 Chevy 1500 needed a new transmission at 80000 miles. That is fairly common with these. I don't know if the new ones got any better.

It now has 150000 miles. It's had a lot of little issues too. Leaky transmission lines, a bad heater fan controller that caused the fan to run all the time even with the key off (I had to unhook the battery one night at the park) , A bad climate control module, the dash lights quit working, the CD player quit working and some of my CD's are stuck in it now.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family,
that's good to know and opens a whole other door , thank you .

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra is a nice looking truck . I was always concerned about the lower mpg, shorter 5ft bed having less storage as well as less payload.
With a small 26 gal tank I need the most miles out of a fuel tank and I carry a lot of fishing gear and tools. The numbers on the Tundra scared me off.

Fuel mileage isn't the Tundras strong point but it isn't as bad as people make out. 2016 brought on a bigger 38gal fuel tank as standard which I believe is now biggest in class.

The 5.5' bed is standard on the crewmax but the op solo with a little dog would be very comfortable in a double cab which comes with a 6.5' box. An 8' is optional.

Payload can be a little on the low side, but plenty for the op and the trailer she wants to pull.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
nickdarr wrote:
We live in Idaho and have snow and ice. Resale here almost requires a 4x4.

Almost? You'd have to special order a truck to get one with 2wd around here, and the moment you drove it off the lot the value would drop way below what you saved by not buying 4wd. 4wd is mandatory in the PNW.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Tundra is a nice looking truck . I was always concerned about the lower mpg, shorter 5ft bed having less storage as well as less payload.
With a small 26 gal tank I need the most miles out of a fuel tank and I carry a lot of fishing gear and tools. The numbers on the Tundra scared me off.

http://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201b7c80b4300970b-pi

Perhaps, but I used a tundra for a few years and was very pleased with the towing performance towing 7000lbs..

I upgraded for payload issues and a larger TT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:

bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

http://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201b7c80b4300970b-pi

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Bevteacher4 wrote:
Hello all!
I just retired after teaching for 32 years! I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and right now pull it with my 2008 Mercedes ML350. I would like to do some longer out of state trips (Smokies, Badlands and on out to Glacier) in the next few years and know that I really need a truck. I don't want a huge one, but want enough to have confidence for mountains. Do I need a diesel? Transmission? Brakes?
Everyone has their personal favorite, but I am a widow and really want a reliable safe truck to pull my smaller (4500lbs) trailer.
Thanks!

Just wanted to say congrats on a full career! I'm at 12 years in the classroom, probably 20 to go!

Kevin

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia Popcorn wrote:
TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7 V8, TOW HAUL PACKAGE, (Make sure you tell the dealer you want REMOTE towing mirrors in the deal)

Comes with Tranny Oil cooler and Engine Oil cooler as well as Limited Slip Differential...And a back up camera!

Agreed. Incredible long term, high mileage durability, and far fewer issues than any other 1/2 ton. The 5.7L and 6 speed trans is a superb towing package, as long as towing is not a full time job.

If you dont like Toys for some reason, then get the Ecobust...I mean Ecoboost. Hands down, the thing tows like a diesel but you fill it with gas. Has some quirks, but more bells and whistles over they Toy.

Getting into 2500 series and 3/4 ton payload numbers is not needed for the current trailer mentioned. But, if you think you may one day upgrade to a larger unit, then this size truck would be money well spent.

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia Popcorn wrote:
TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7 V8, TOW HAUL PACKAGE, (Make sure you tell the dealer you want REMOTE towing mirrors in the deal)

Comes with Tranny Oil cooler and Engine Oil cooler as well as Limited Slip Differential...And a back up camera!

What he said. Best gas-powered 1/2 ton on the market. It will tow that TT like a dream.
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a half ton GMC to an F350 with a diesel. We had a Creekside 23BHS and the difference was amazing. We literally towed that trailer all over the US over the last two years. Mileage went from about 9 with gas to 13 plus with the diesel. Wind, hills, etc made no difference with the diesel. We have since gotten a bigger trailer and that would never have been possible with the half ton.
As to 4x4, that is a matter of weather, type of towing, and where you live. We live in Idaho and have snow and ice. Resale here almost requires a 4x4. However, outside of a March trip through Wyoming, I have never needed 4 wheel drive towing our TT. We also do not do a lot of unimproved road towing. We do some rough road exploring after we unhook the TT at the park. For that, the 4x4 has been nice. Just my .02 cents.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS