Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who checks their oil?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
After doing an oil change?
Do ya dump in the reccomended amount of oil, put the cap on, slam the hood down and takeoff?
Or do you check to make sure it reads right on the dipschtick?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
95 REPLIES 95

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, almost up to 10 pages!:B

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
These threads always bring out the OCPD folks. Bless their hides.

Seven quarts Mobil-1 5w-20 out, seven back in with a new Motorcraft filter. Run and check for leaks. Check the dipstick. Mobil-1 kinda beads up on it making it hard to tell exactly where it's level is. I check to make sure the 5qt and two 1qt bottles are empty. Close it up and good to go. I might check it twice between changes. At 102k miles, it still uses less than .5 qt in 5k miles.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bpounds wrote:
As long as we're talking oil changes, who runs a Fumoto valve?

I love'em. Have one on all my trucks and Jeep. I barely get my hands dirty doing an oil change.

Not on my vehicles. Too much already stays in my pan.

I did add one to my 350 in my boat.
If you do it right, no more oil will stay in the pan. When I install mine I make sure they fit flush with the bottom of the pan. There's no need for them to stick up above the bottom of the pan.

If you want to cut some of the threads off, it will work okay.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm with Cummins on checking a cold engine. About the only time it gets checked is before I leave on a trip, maybe even a few days before leaving, while I'm doing all the other checks and preps. I know the engine well enough to not be concerned during the rest of the journey.

Might just be the type of dip stick, although his is completely different than mine, but checking at a gas station during a fill-up is a waste of time. There is so much oil in the tube that you can't tell anything about the level, other than that there is definitely oil present. About an hour after shutdown it will be ready to check.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The real question is how many check at every fill up?"

The real question is WHY would you check your oil when part of it is still up in the engine???

Park your rig on level ground, check when engine is cold.

Now if your rig has a hot and cold check mark like my Harley that's a different story. I still check my bike BEFORE riding.

In theory, you could check it first thing in the morning but I doubt most people do that either.

Checking at the gas station is a convenient time and after a couple minutes it's pretty close...at least I've never noticed a big difference between that and checking after the engine has been sitting.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bpounds wrote:

I love'em. Have one on all my trucks and Jeep. I barely get my hands dirty doing an oil change.

If you do it right, no more oil will stay in the pan. When I install mine I make sure they fit flush with the bottom of the pan. There's no need for them to stick up above the bottom of the pan.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Adding further to the Fumoto, you can buy replacement gaskets at Genos. $3.00 ea. , buy a hand full they will last about three oil changes if you pull the Fumoto for a "COMPLETE" oil drain .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

Did a little experiment with that Fumoto , I let it drain until a very slow drip, closed it, let it sit for an hour or so, and then pulled the Fumoto. Approx. 20oz. of oil drained out . Overfilled a 16 oz. plastic cup. Thats too much oil left in there for me. The object is to replace the old stuff, not just add to it . Get as much out as possible, with the Fumoto thats not possible on a 2014 6.7 Cummins

You can have your Fumoto . I did use the Fumoto for the next three oil changes, but always pulled it to drain completely . This last time it had such a lousy gasket on it ,it fell apart, apparently it's not meant to keep removing ,and replacing so back to the OE plug.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Hey why not get all out you can? I am a bit on the picky side!!!

We all have our quirks, but you're the one who needed to deride the opinions of others.

No harm in letting it drain all night, if you don't mind turning an hour job into a 9 hour job. And as long as you don't have an emergency come up overnight, and in your sleepy haste, forget the vehicle is not road ready.

My FIL would leave each quart of new oil sitting upturned on the fill neck for an hour, to be sure he got every drop of oil out of the container. But he was an idiot anyway.

Donโ€™t think I called anyone out specifically.

Hood up and I always have an extra vehicle. If not overnight it will be for several hours.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, love my Fumoto's. Even have one to put on the motorcycle when I change the oil next time. I have them on everything except the lawnmower. ๐Ÿ™‚ Makes it super easy to catch oil samples for Blackstone Labs too. No muss no fuss.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My way for changing the duramax oil is to fill close to the proper amount and wait a couple of days or more to check if more is needed. Hard to see on the dip stick with clear oil also the big oil cooler makes almost 12 qts of Rotella synthetic T-6 oil. It is done in the summer but don't drive it from late April until the trip south. My bones feel the concrete floor in the garage more each summer. Replace the rear diff also as I do every other year. Fuel filter is a stand up job. My thinking is it's the right to treat his truck as he or she wants to do.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

We all have our quirks, but you're the one who needed to deride the opinions of others.

No harm in letting it drain all night, if you don't mind turning an hour job into a 9 hour job. And as long as you don't have an emergency come up overnight, and in your sleepy haste, forget the vehicle is not road ready.

My FIL would leave each quart of new oil sitting upturned on the fill neck for an hour, to be sure he got every drop of oil out of the container. But he was an idiot anyway.

LOL... Talk about quirks I would like to see cummins changing his oil and trying to gain access to that oil filter. Probably talking to himself and taking pictures of a better process. :B

BTW there's plenty of places for residual oil to stay in that engine including the indention on the oil pan where the oil plug is located will also hold oil no matter how long you let it set.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel