cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why diesel trucks?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Judging from my other two posts a lot of folks that responded drive DRW diesel trucks to carry the heavier multi slide campers. I understand the DRW for heavier payload but why diesel? Just looking at Fords web site the gas models have a greater payload capacity than diesel models, I am guessing because they are lighter. I am trying not to have to buy a DRW diesel to use just when camping a few weeks out of the year. Is there another reason to buy a diesel truck such as durability that drives this decision.
168 REPLIES 168

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a fairly light (~2500 lbs) camper, no trailer and love my diesel. Most of my camping trips involve days on the road to get to the destination. I made the trip before with a gas engine and just a cap on the back to sleep under and it was far from stress free. Between the truck searching for a gear on modest slopes, to keeping an eye on engine temps trying to pull the the mountain passes out west then hoping I don't burn up the brakes keeping speed under control on the downhill side, not to mention the pathetic gas mileage, as long as I have a camper I'll have a diesel.

CAN it be done with a gas engine? Absolutely. Will the drive be as relaxing as with a diesel? Not even close.

I think you'll find most people that have tried diesel won't go back to gas as long as there's a load in the bed. There are some diesel owners contemplating going back to gas for their next engine, but I don't here too many reports of people actually doing so and being happy with the change. With very few exceptions those that claim a gas engine is just as good as a diesel don't have a lot of experience with diesels.

My $0.02
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I think yโ€™all should buy gasser HD pickups and convince everyone you know to do the same and encourage them to convince everyone they know too.....
Then maybe the price of diesel trucks will go down with their lack of popularity. And diesel fuel prices too!

The 1000s of pages of banter here and everywhere about this is just evidence that the OP should do a lot more reading and less asking.....
One objective reason if buying a used dually though, is how many used gas duallies are there to choose from? Thereโ€™s no selection so good luck finding one....
The hidden message is thereโ€™s a reason WHY the diesels our number the gassers 100:1 or more.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
No heavy slides or DRW for me, but I like my diesel. Got tired of watching diesel trucks pass me on the freeways, and all the shifting required to get through mountain passes.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
If everyone is after power,why not just drop a Vette engine into your TC hauler..The new 1,000 HP Vette engine is warping the frame..500+ HP in the old 6.2 Vette..

Now that's a real ego ride!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paraphrasing from the video, the youtube channel ownerโ€™s truck has 6500 payload and his comparison truck has 5100 or so, but the diesel comparison truck hauls the equivalent truck camper better. In other words, the โ€œpayloadโ€ according to the sticker doesnโ€™t tell the whole story just like many of us have been saying. Very much more noticable on a hill/grade.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
For me. Number one is the exhaust brake. Period. It's all about safety . Everything else is secondary.

Power, hauling ability, MPG, etc. You can't take your money with you when you leave the planet. Might as well spend it.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/TnM1ooYKN_Y
The you tube video is of Taylor Dzaman he has a camper with a gas chevy truck, in this video he has a friend has the same camper but with a diesel chevy , he drives both and gives his opinion.
This guy has lots of truck camper videos, mostly I would say they are good and seem pretty unbiased.
The idea that the diesel will give you more longevity with more miles is probably true but..... I would not get all excited about it, gas trucks these days seem to go 200k plus. Most trucks, especially the ones used for recreational use will wear out the truck before the engine.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
Gas trucks do not have more useable payload.
The extra weight of a diesel engine is all on the front.
The camper weight all goes on the rear.
This is an interesting thought. I was just comparing the payload of a F-350 SRW with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs in gas and diesel. The 6.8L gas has a payload of 4000 lbs and the 6L diesel 3500 lbs both in a crew cab. Are you saying the 500 lb difference is meaningless because of weight distribution? If so for someone like me who never even owned a truck this is a big revelation.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel engines are industrial grade engines. They are made to pull with lots of low end torque that comes on quickly. They have a large crankcase, and big displacement that allows them to take the heat of pulling. They are effecient, and long lasting engines.

I would not trade my 17 yo Ford 7.3 for a new Japanese truck.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no problem with some of you buying your diesel for your ego but did it help? :D.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Diesel - because I haul the camper AND tow.... usually about 3500+ lbs of trailer.

Yep. We are a little over 18,000 lbs including truck, camper, jeep on trailer. Diesel power is great going up mtn passes and the exhaust break is great coming back down the other side. ๐Ÿ™‚

bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesels do indeed have electronic injectors, the 5.9 just one year after that โ€˜02 you rebuilt has โ€˜em even.
I donโ€™t think anyone said there is a gas six in a dually available new today, just that it would work.
Before anyone disagrees and thinks you โ€œneedโ€ more than that, let me remind you GMC used to put their 305 V6 in theirs, and Ford used to put the 300 straigh-six in F600s.
I used to drive a tow truck that was a 300-six F600, it pulled a lot of weight a lot of places. Not at light-speed but it did it and didnโ€™t break.

I used to haul my camper and trailer, totaling 22,000 pounds, with a 6.2 Chevy diesel. It had less power than the starter motor on a new truck. I did yank it out and put a big gas engine (Olds 455) in its place but even that didnโ€™t have the power of a new V6 today.

I agree 100%, itโ€™s all about ego, or just fun. I have a heavily hot-rodded Cummins - because itโ€™s fun.
That truck only had barely over 200hp when it was stock and would have gotten my camper and trailer wherever it needed to go. You donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ an 800 ft/lbs diesel. Theyโ€™re just fun.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

For a truck camper not towing a boat or similar...as mentioned, a gas V6 is plenty of power. Without some other justification, it's mostly about ego.

Thatโ€™s insane. Where is this mythical crew cab dually pickup powered by a gas V6? For that matter, where is any pickup truck above an F150 with a V6 gas engine? There isnโ€™t a pickup available with a V6 engine that is capable of hauling a 5000+ lb TC.

Personally, Iโ€™d have been happy to buy a KR F450 pickup with the V10 gas motor, but thatโ€™s not available either. Not interested in the cab and chassis F450โ€™s for several good reasons.

I have high hopes that Fordโ€™s new 7.3L gas motor makes it into F350 and F450 pickups. Iโ€™d be very interested in that.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote "For a truck camper not towing a boat or similar...as mentioned, a gas V6 is plenty of power. Without some other justification, it's mostly about ego."

That's funny as if those with gas engines have no ego.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK... I will bite into this one. I know my 5.9 inside and out...why? Because it was rebuilt at 53k miles for a very unfortunate failure. That is another thread but I do know it from the inside out... and that the fact is WHY is diesel fuel is more expensive(please explain why?)... but the mechanics and maintenance is what is really just the start. OK, .. with a diesel you have no plugs, no plug wires, or coils for each cylinder and no electronic injectors. On some types it is overkill with senors ...stick with a Cummins. It is a long term engine for at least 300k. Huge torque numbers that a gasser has trouble to come close to achieve or someone give me the numbers and show us all the facts.I have always been led to believe diesel is where the power is, otherwise why does it cost so much more? Trucks of the diesel caliber are dependent on the gear ratios but offer a more stable footprint with duals and offer bigger spring packs and usually bigger brakes...newer ones even offer exhaust braking... and much more. Mine is just at 99k miles and is an 02...It will be my last...pretty sure. Look at my profile...it explains everything.