cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why I ordered an F-450 (and expect to be overweight)

Viscerl
Explorer
Explorer
Forums everywhere are replete with explanations and warnings that an F-450 payload (~4700) is lower than the equivalent F-350 (~5700).

We've ordered a Host Cascade (which might arrive before the truck, that's a whole different story {rolling eyes}), and Randal gave me a dry weight with options of 4100 lbs. (Our config is a little weird. No gen but tons of solar with LiFePO4) We'll be towing a small off-road trailer with a tongue weight of around 200lbs, but I do plan on towing car trailers to various tracks in the future. Open trailer is ~5000lbs with the car. Enclosed is around ~8000lbs with the car. Estimates 10% tongue weight is from 500-800 lbs. We're having the Magnum 30k put on the truck when it gets here so that we can use the Supertruss (+100lbs).

4700 payload
-4100 Host Cascade
-500 stuff
-600 family (there's 2 adults, 3 kids)
-800 tongue weight
-400 water
--------------
1700 overweight.

An equivalent F-350 would be ~700lbs overweight, which honestly isnt bad.
So why am I comfortable with the F-450 at 1700?

Everything that weighs more about the F-450 is below the suspension. The F-450's payload is less literally because it pushing down on the pavement (or a scale) more than the F-350.
Half-shafts (check)
Brakes (check)
Wheels (check)
TIres (check)
Wide-track front (check)

Everything listed above assists in making the "rated" F-350 payload more safe on an F-450.
So because I think the tires, wheels, shafts, brakes, and a set of Stableloads, adjustable shocks, and a Big-wig swaybar would help a 700lb overweight F-350 be safe, I'm excited about the F-450.

Interestingly, we had to get our Host order quickly because campers built after 3/1/2019 will have a ~9% price increase (Thanks Trunp!), so we might have a camper before a truck.

Y'all may think I'm rationalizing here, but a C/C would be useless to me outside of camper use. With the F-450 I've got a ton of hard-scaping, hauling, dump runs, etc planned that I couldnt do as easily with a flatbed.
21 REPLIES 21

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Here we go again.
Comparing taxable rating to actual truck capabilities?
How about stepping down to Earth and telling us rear axle rating comparing to actual load?
Still think that with 800lb tongue on long stinger will make COG the biggest issue.
Not seeing any margin for waste tanks weight?

Think I'd buy a used Class 8 road tractor remove the 5th wheel and set the camper on that. With 44 rears and a real diesel engine, no worries about weight or tow capacity and plenty of brakes (and possibly a Jake too. Lots less expensive to boot.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Great truck for your Host, bigger brakes, 19.5 tires, heavier rear axle, heavier springs than a F350.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Congrats on your new stuff. Not sure what govt has to do with it, but from what I hear you have more state than national govt issues living in Oregon and worse as a Portlander. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hahaha..........
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on your new stuff. Not sure what govt has to do with it, but from what I hear you have more state than national govt issues living in Oregon and worse as a Portlander. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here we go again.
Comparing taxable rating to actual truck capabilities?
How about stepping down to Earth and telling us rear axle rating comparing to actual load?
Still think that with 800lb tongue on long stinger will make COG the biggest issue.
Not seeing any margin for waste tanks weight?

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck and camper. It sounds like it will be an awesome set-up. Would love to see how you configured the factory solar/LFP.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you. I especially want the F450s larger brakes for heavy loads. I'll be buying one when they come out with the 10-speed transmission.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.