cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this be the same as this? Picts.

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to be that guy. I know I had a ton of extension cord questions last week but I'm considering the following. It'll be the same price but the 100ft 10/3 will get waaaay more use for other applications. Needing to run the AC off this set up too. Thanks again.

Will this

100 Ft 10/3

Be the same as this

11 REPLIES 11

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is the same provided the gauge of wire is the same on both, and both are plugged into a 30 amp service. The only difference between them is a 30 amp RV plug and a 30 amp house hold plug. The adapter will allow you plug in either way. I've used both myself (for different occasions) and both the (yellow) style cord and the (black) RV style cord ran from a 30 amp service.

However, by the time you purchase a true 30 amp (yellow) cord, it might be cheaper to just go ahead and buy the black RV cord. The black RV cord runs about $2.00 a foot. You can get them up to 50 foot lengths from most RV dealers, and Wall Mart sells 25 foot cords. They all still run about $2.00 a foot.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want 30A at 100 feet in length, you should really go with 50A RV cord and get the adapters to go from 50A-30A. the 10ga. wire is only good for a max run of around 70 feet or so. the 50A will have 8ga. wire and would be better suited to run 30A at longer runs. and yes you need to watch the connectors, I had my 2 connectors melt together because of the heat generated from the connection. had to replace the male on one cord and female on the other. that was 75feet of 30A cord!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum Siding wrote:
westend wrote:
With the exception of the added resistance at the connectors of the smaller cord, yes.

That's where I get confused. Cause the RV 30 amp cord is 10/3 and the 15 amp extension cord is also 10/3. Do the adapters reduce the AMPS. Both ends will be 30 amp with a 10/3 cord in-between. Thanks again.
To get totally accurate, you'd add the resistance of the length of wire, the resistance at every connection, and the resistance at the ends of the assembled cable.

The voltage in the circuit is reduced by the resistance in the cable assembly. The simple formula for this is Ohm's law. The devices you power in the RV will have a fixed draw in Amps (with the exception of AC motors and AC compressors which have a high locked rotor draw).

It sounds like you're going to be in a high traffic area. The way I would do it is to buy the additional lengths of premade extension cord for RV's. If I couldn't find a bright yellow cord that was inexpensive, I'd spiral wrap a black one with yellow tape. I'd probably also bag and tie any intermediate connections. Hopefully, after a long weekend of being trod upon, I'd still have long 10 ga. extensions, should I ever need them again.

FWIW, I have bins of extension cords. The larger cords seldom get used because a 12 AWG cord is easier to handle and will power most things I use. An RV needs larger, just wait till you upgrade to 50 amp service and need cords. :R
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jrichard
Explorer
Explorer
15 amp plugs don't reduce the amps...they'll pass the current until they get hot and melt. I know from experience. (The plug you show is rated for 15amps...20amp plugs will have one blade perpendicular to the other.)

If you need 100', your best bet is a 100' cord w/30amp connectors. Your second best is 2x 50' cords with 30 amp connectors. It might be cheapest to buy a 100' 10/3 cable with 15 amp connectors and then cut those connectors off and replace them with 30 amp connectors. Your worst solution is to use any connector rated less than 30amp and / or a cord smaller than 10AWG.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
You may overheat(aka melt) the 15A connectors if under heavy loads for extended periods (such as AC or water on electric).
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Every plug and receptacle is going to have a high resistance and will diminish power available. Also, as others have noted, the standard household 3 prong plugs are going to be rated either 15 amps or 20 amps, and will cause problems. Spring for the 30 rated RV cord. You'll save money in the long run.

Gosple
Explorer
Explorer
do yourself a favor and use the 50 ft with rv ends on it you will not have problems. The cord ends and adaptors are only rated for 15 amps. The rv cord is rated for 30 amps.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that the yellow cord is 10 AWG? It looks like 12 to me and if it is, it will have a higher voltage drop than the two #10 50footers connected together.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
With the exception of the added resistance at the connectors of the smaller cord, yes.

X2 the longer your cord the bigger it should be and the 20amp ends will melt drawing 30amps through them for a 30 amp it should be 8/3 to get full power at 100'
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

That's where I get confused. Cause the RV 30 amp cord is 10/3 and the 15 amp extension cord is also 10/3. Do the adapters reduce the AMPS. Both ends will be 30 amp with a 10/3 cord in-between. Thanks again.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton