cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winches..110 or 12V ???

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one used a 110 V winch on there truck as opposed to the 12 V. The 110s are cheaper and more powerful and I use the truck (for getting into trouble) with my camper on it that has a generator, so I could just plug it in... just wondering..any comments. Dave
23 REPLIES 23

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Harleybullet,
I remember when you got the winch bumper a few years ago in a mass buy.
There are basically two kinds of 4 hole winch attachment patterns. One is for the consumer winch with a not-so-wide fairlead and tall, narrow drum. This is what most people on here have. Then there is the commercial winch carrier. Much more rare. Sturdier with a wider 4-hole pattern with a wider mouth at the fairlead (rollers). It helps keep the amount of winds fewer and hence more pulling power. I bought one of these by mistake from Warn and it still languishes out behind the shed.
Alex made his own for his 17,500 pound capy winch. This one is not going to fall off and adds the least amount of weight to the front as there is no winch bumper. D-ring holes, yes. Powder coated: yes. This is the narrow drum design.

Attached to frame rails sturdily. Warn uses a wide drum on their high capacity commercial winches. So, measure the holes, if any, in your winch bumper and make an accurate card stock template for comparing to winches that are in the running. One last thing. The commonly held belief with off-roaders is the winch capacity should be at least 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. For me, @10K pounds, a 15K pound winch is enough. Yet another thing. Some winches attach the 4 holes to the front plate, some to the base plate. The front plate attachment is the sturdiest.
I've seen some 18,600 pound capacity Chinese winches of late and if you can put up with the snails pace speed, it should be enough overage to tackle anything you might pull against.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Also I believe the hydraulics have a tendency to let cable out before the brake catches once the pull is stopped. Which is why the Jeep Club that used to hold Panamint Valley Days wouldn't let a vehicle running a hydro winch participate on the Surprise Canyon run.
I don't think there is a brake. If the solenoids are closed no fluid moves and the hydraulics just hold same as a hydraulic leveling system.

Instructions do warn that if the engine is off and you use the control it will allow the drum to turn.

This is MM specific. There could be others that operate differently.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Harleybullet wrote:
I do have a Buckstop bumper with a compartment below the top and hatch for the winch to be hidden .. now I would have to find out what size would fit. Dave

The Warn 16.5K fits mine. I don't know about on a Dodge but for my Ford the winch had to be installed in the bumper before it was mounted to the truck. Makes for a heavy lift (300+lbs) to get the bumper remounted. It also sagged my front end noticeably, which the F550 coils took care of.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you post an example of a 110V winch that you are considering?

I'm aware that Warn makes a 110V handheld winch but it is very limited in capacity and not suitable for all-weather use, outdoor storage, or mounting on a truck. Makes a good replacement for a come-along, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a Buckstop bumper with a compartment below the top and hatch for the winch to be hidden .. now I would have to find out what size would fit. Dave

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't depend on a harbor freight winch mount. Being an experienced structural welder/fabricator, I have on no doubt I can put a winch on a self fabricated receiver mount and it be completely safe for pulls in any direction, at whatever weight is needed. Not everyone can do that. It is possible though. If extreme 4-bying is what you do, then seek out those who can build what you need, and have confidence that when you need it most, it will do what you want it to do. That kinda thing don't come from a discount store.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
DJ is correct. However, all winches are not created equal. Over my lifetime I've owned eight winches on different weight 4-bys. This short history may be illustrative:
1. 1966 FJ-40 factory PTO winch. It was rated at only 2200 pounds. I kept breaking shear pins until I drilled the shear pin hole to accept 1/4 inch drill rod which brought the rating up to maybe 10K pounds. Then it worked fine. It would not work if the engine was not running, as in underwater. It did have the 3 speeds of the trans and hi/low t. case gears to work with, which helped when you wanted a faster line speed.
2. Warn 6000 winch. Way under rated and pulled great, with a rather fast line speed.
3. Warn 8000 winch. I really think this was just an up rated 6K. Fast line speed. I used this one over 300 times. Eventually wore out the tiny bronze spur get that drove the bull gear. I also pulled the front bumper right off when using a snatch block in 4 feet of wet snow.
4. Warn 8274 winch. Hands down the best winch Warn ever produced. This one had hundreds of extractions when I was a hard core jeeper. THE fastest line speed in the industry. 150 feet of cable. Just a great winch. 125 pounds. The only woe is that it stood high and blocked some of the air getting past the radiator.
5. Warn 3000. It was portable (fore to aft) and could do the job with a snatch block if terribly slowly on a vehicle weighing less than 3500 pounds.
6. Warn 15000 winch. It's on my TC and has done the job for me over and over again. 150 pounds. 90 feet of 1/2 inch line. Not portable.
The cautionary tale is: If using it without the camper on, the truck must be dead maned. Otherwise, even with all wheels locked up, the wincher will just be dragged toward the winchee.
7. China freight 9000 pound winch #1. It bearing housing on one side broke on the first pull.
8. China freight 12000 pound winch #2. Fried after a few times. Very short duty cycle.
The thing to know is the higher the rating the slower the line speed.
Another thing is: Is your truck frame strong enough that a very high capacity winch will not pull it apart?
How about the winch carrier? I think some folks are living on the edge with flimsy carriers attached to the front or rear of the truck.

How long ago was your Harbor Freight winch experience? From what I have seen their newer Badlands winches have been getting good reviews from users.

I agree with you about the people relying on the hitch carrier mounted winches. They MIGHT work ok for a straight ahead pull BUT they are not designed to handle the loading of a side pull at all. Especially at the weights us Truck Camper guys are hauling around. Plus none of those slide in winch mounts are rated for the weight of even a straight ahead pull on our vehicles.

I have a Warn 16.5K in a Buckstop bumper on my truck. For anyone considering even a winch let alone a winch/bumper keep in mind the extra weight they add. On my truck I swapped in F550 front coils and ended up sitting 1/2" taller then stock even after the 100+extra pounds of weight (new winch & bumper minus stock bumper) out there.
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Milemarker is unstoppable and will run continuous. Never overheat or run your battery low.
If your engine runs it runs. Upside down, dead under water is not so good.

http://milemarker.com/product_type/hydraulic-winch/

The with truck running is a KEY part. I have had to do pulls where the vehicle wasn't running. Though I admit the more modern fuel injected vehicles are much less likely to be in that position but it is still something to consider.

Also I believe the hydraulics have a tendency to let cable out before the brake catches once the pull is stopped. Which is why the Jeep Club that used to hold Panamint Valley Days wouldn't let a vehicle running a hydro winch participate on the Surprise Canyon run.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
DJ is correct. However, all winches are not created equal. Over my lifetime I've owned eight winches on different weight 4-bys. This short history may be illustrative:
1. 1966 FJ-40 factory PTO winch. It was rated at only 2200 pounds. I kept breaking shear pins until I drilled the shear pin hole to accept 1/4 inch drill rod which brought the rating up to maybe 10K pounds. Then it worked fine. It would not work if the engine was not running, as in underwater. It did have the 3 speeds of the trans and hi/low t. case gears to work with, which helped when you wanted a faster line speed.
2. Warn 6000 winch. Way under rated and pulled great, with a rather fast line speed.
3. Warn 8000 winch. I really think this was just an up rated 6K. Fast line speed. I used this one over 300 times. Eventually wore out the tiny bronze spur get that drove the bull gear. I also pulled the front bumper right off when using a snatch block in 4 feet of wet snow.
4. Warn 8274 winch. Hands down the best winch Warn ever produced. This one had hundreds of extractions when I was a hard core jeeper. THE fastest line speed in the industry. 150 feet of cable. Just a great winch. 125 pounds. The only woe is that it stood high and blocked some of the air getting past the radiator.
5. Warn 3000. It was portable (fore to aft) and could do the job with a snatch block if terribly slowly on a vehicle weighing less than 3500 pounds.
6. Warn 15000 winch. It's on my TC and has done the job for me over and over again. 150 pounds. 90 feet of 1/2 inch line. Not portable.
The cautionary tale is: If using it without the camper on, the truck must be dead maned. Otherwise, even with all wheels locked up, the wincher will just be dragged toward the winchee.
7. China freight 9000 pound winch #1. It bearing housing on one side broke on the first pull.
8. China freight 12000 pound winch #2. Fried after a few times. Very short duty cycle.
The thing to know is the higher the rating the slower the line speed.
Another thing is: Is your truck frame strong enough that a very high capacity winch will not pull it apart?
How about the winch carrier? I think some folks are living on the edge with flimsy carriers attached to the front or rear of the truck.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harleybullet wrote:
I use the truck (for getting into trouble) with my camper on it Dave

Then go big or stay home!!! :B

16.500# Warn with snatch block to double the pull. Actually double line does not magically increase the power of the winch to 33,000# it reduces a 10,000# TC to a 5,000# TC. So you could actually "get by" with a smaller winch and a couple snatch blocks. ๐Ÿ˜‰
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
For an offroad Jeep that would see many long pulls definitely go with a Warn Winch. The 110V AC winches I've seen have all been very light duty. For an AC winch to be useful at heavy loads it would probably need at least 220v.

For very rare use on a vehicle the Smittybilt would probably be ok. Tow trucks using Hydraulics makes sense. Hydraulics on a vehicle that may never actually use the winch doesn't make sense. To use the Milemarker Hydraulic winch I would definitely use a second power steering pump. I would not connect the Milemarker to the factory hydraulics.

The top of the line 12k Smittybilt with wireless remote and synthetic line is $649. Still need the mount location, winch plate and recovery kit. Only connect to the top battery studs, never the side connection.

Quadratec for Smittybilt winch

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Milemarker is unstoppable and will run continuous. Never overheat or run your battery low.
If your engine runs it runs. Upside down, dead under water is not so good.

http://milemarker.com/product_type/hydraulic-winch/

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Hydraulic if you can afford it :).
The PTO drive gear, controller and wiring, driveshaft, hydraulic pump, mounting and hoses to connect to the winch are pretty expensive to set up. Hydraulic winches aren't cheap either.

For something that may only be used a handful of times, if at all, in the life of the truck, an electric winch would be far more cost effective.

Now if it was for a vocational tow truck, then yes, by all means, get a PTO powered hydraulic winch system, it'll last a lifetime and pay for itself quickly!
Who said anything about a PTO? I agree that would be really expensive. I would go with a Mile Marker winch or equivalent that is hydraulically powered off of the power steering pump. I think I heard that all of the military HumVees have this set up. That's way better than adding extra batteries and huge 12v cables. As long as the engine is running you can winch and don't have to worry about battery drain.
If they have them that can run off the power steering pump, then hot dam, go with the hydraulic! I didn't know such a thing existed!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to haul heavy equipment using 8000 lb cheap 12V winch.
If you have good size battery, you will really like 12V over 120V.
Having 2 batteries with Powerstroke, I did not have to bother about having engine running.
I could pull 9000 lb forklift up the ramps at 45 degree angle, even when front of the forklift had wheels in the air at the angle and I was dragging front plate on concrete.
That was done with doubling the cable on 8000 lb winch.
Bottom line, Harbor Freight winches work well and work long.
Than I was religious about proper cable spooling when the job was done.
Bare in mind that winch pulling power change with the row of the cable on drum.
What is 8000 lb on first row, becomes 6000 lb on second and maybe 4000 lb on third.
Still couple of pulleys will get everything done.