cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterize..remove propane tanks???

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
i was reading northstar truck campers on FB. it had list of what to do with winterizing your camper. one was remove the propane tanks. really? I never did that. do you guys do that and why?
;)02' 6.0 (gas) CHEVY SILVERADO CREWCAB DULLY
Crossroad sunset trail 26rb TT.
2010 8.5 NorthStar Arrow TC.
Homemade boat trailer/redneck 12'sea king.
14 REPLIES 14

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine installed and turned on. I also set the furnace digital thermostat to about 45 degrees as backup for the small electric heater I leave on. I never winterize although it does get fairly cold here. Haven't had a problem yet.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
if the camper is stored indoors in any enclosure like an attached garage it is recommended to remove the tanks and store them outdoors especially if the tanks were recently filled.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area means never having to Winterize

๐Ÿ™‚

It also means you have to live in Commifornia ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area means never having to Winterize

๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I remove mine only because the camper is stored in spot with marginal security and figure it might be an attractive snatch. I also like to top off all my tanks just incase I need them for emergency heat at home.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I fill them up to keep surface rust down and turn them off.

Jbechtoldt
Explorer
Explorer
I turn the off and leave them attached
2007 312BHBS Wildwood LA by Forrest River
2006 GMC 2500HD Extended Cab 4x4, LBZ Duramax w/Allison, Air Lift air bags, Bilstein's, Tonneau cover, Prodigy

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I leave the tanks in the TC and turned on, how else do you get gas to the furnace and stove when camping???

Thanks, just remembered that I need to fill up a tank before heading out.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I remove the tanks, but only so they're handy to run my Buddy Heater during an extended power outage.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fill them and turn them off..

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use the "Winter" period to take the camper propane tanks home and use the remains in the tank for the bbq and smoker. Come camping season, the tanks either get topped off of refilled completely.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remove them,.and in fact have accidentally left them on over the winter. Haven't had any problems.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

craiger4
Explorer
Explorer
In 28 years I have never done more than turning off the valves.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I do make sure the valve is turned off and I used to disconnect it, but never removed.