cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing black tank flush

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I never did anything to winterize my built-in black tank flush (last two years). I thought it was self draining and would be ok. Fortunately I have not had any damage, but when winterizing this year I inspected some of the plumbing visible in the compartment that houses the water pump and saw that there are some elbows that definitely could trap water. My qustion is: Do ouy winterize your black tank flush, and if so how do you do it? The only simple option I can think of is to use a funnel and pour antifreeze into the inlet.
6 REPLIES 6

AaronV
Explorer
Explorer
I blow mine out with the air compressor.
2013 KZ Sportsmen 242SBHSS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
After I finish winterizing I just push on the check valve stem in the hook up and a little Stream of pink squirts out, so I am assuming that the line gets filled in the process. Have never had a problem or freeze up.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
I put antifreeze in mine. Here's what you'll need. Also works for winterizing the city water connection.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Rats, now I'm trying to remember if I blew the black tank rinser out.

taviking22
Explorer
Explorer
I blow out the black tank rinser then do the same with the entire fresh water system. I then pump RV antifreeze to the toilet. Have done this for the past several years without issues. The one year I didn't pump antifreeze I had the toilet valve freeze and crack.
taviking22
Omaha, NE

'06 2500HD Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ, Firestone air bags
2008 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
2012 Jayco Pinnacle 31RLTS

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just blow mine out with a compressor for a few minutes. The fresh water system gets "pinked."
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......