cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring question

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, I installed a votage meter/usb panel in my trailer yesterday. I forgot to disconnect the batttery. Anyway, when I got done with the wiring, I tested it and got nothing. I tested the trailer lights which is what I patched into and some of the lights (LED's) came on and some didn't. But the ones that came on were very low brightness. I couldn't figure it out. If none came on at all, I would have guessed it was a fuse, but since some came on low, I figured it was still getting power. Finally, I checked and sure enough, it was a fuse. After I changed it, all was good.
My question is: Why did some of the LED lights come on partially if the fuse was blown? It was the same with out the fuse at all?
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
4 REPLIES 4

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are getting a back feed problem thru one of the wires you spliced into.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What voltage is the voltage/USB panel?
120 volt AC or 12 volts DC?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fact that you get juice to the lights when the fuse is out is a sign of miswiring. Somehow you have bypassed the fuse.
Did you come off an adjacent light or the fuse box?
Have you taken the fuse out again and still have some light?
If so, that isn’t right.
I would definitely go back and check what you did. Take it apart and do it again.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know, but wonder if there was enough inductive voltage from the 120v hot to ground to produce that.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB