cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about cul-de-sac!

JBell81
Explorer
Explorer

My TT is 34'3-34'6 long depending on source and originally had a 2014 Tundra Crewmax that was 19'06" long and made the cul-de-sac but was tight!  Found a 22 Chevy 2500 HD Crewcab which is 20'8" long so difference of about 1.75'.  Will I be able to navigate cul-de-sac or did I screw up!!!!!!!

13 REPLIES 13

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

Must be a regional thing. In the 2 states I've lived in I have only ever seen one cul-de-sac with a center island. Hopefully the OP returns to the thread or we may never know. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

When we had our FW I debated on this as well in our cul-de-sac. While I am pretty sure I could have made the turn, I worried a lot about the tires scrubbing on the FW. I've made tight turns in a CG on gravel and was shocked how much the tires scrubbed. Like almost dragging them sideways, the one tire looked like it was going to break the bead on the rim. I also worried about the damage it could to the pavement on a hot day.  And lastly I worried about tail swing grabbing someone's mailbox - one of which is brick. Just a few thoughts. That said with a TT it might be easier. Curious what you find out. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

The 2014 Tundra Crew Max has a turning radius of ~22'. A Chevy 2500 Crew Cab, Short Bed, ~26'.  One thing's for sure, if it was tight navigating with the Tundra, it's going to be noticeably tighter with the Chevy.   I'd suggest using a spotter.  Nothing'll ruin your day more than jack-knifing your rig . . . or running over your neighbor's mailbox or nice, manicured lawn.  Good luck.

dedmiston

The worst case scenario is that you’ll have to back out.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II

Seems cul de sac’s are variable in size, depending on the area’s government regulations. The wheel base of your truck is likely more a factor than total body length. Don’t think you’ll know for sure till you take a shot at it. 

JBell81
Explorer
Explorer

Forgot to mention this is a bumper pull!

The general rule-of-thumb is that if the truck can make the turn, the trailer can too.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

That is totally false. Just because the truck can make it around the cul-de-sac doesn’t mean the trailer can. The rear trailer tires will be a on a path the diameter of which will be well inside the rear tire on the truck. And the longer the distance from the front tire of the truck to the back tire of the trailer, the worse it gets.

Yes, the trailer tire path will be inside the truck tire path. Why does that prevent the trailer from making the turn?

Curbs, fire hydrants, trees, anything within the center island of the cul-de-sac within the turn radius of the rear trailer tire.

It would be extremely rare for a cul-de-sac to have a "center island". Nothing in the OP indicates he was concerned with a "center island".

I don’t know where you live, but where I live it’s extremely rare for a cul-de-sac not to have a center island; including curb and gutter, grass, and landscaping. Additionally, nothing in the OP’s post said he was worried about the outside radius of the cul-de-sac. Furthermore, he talked about the length of the trailer, which would only be a factor if he was worried about the trailer tire path.

Your assumption is the outside radius is the problem, mine is that the inside radius is the problem. So until there is clarification ….

Agreed.

Have a happy 4th, assuming the 4th is celebrated where cul-de-sacs look like donuts. 🙂