cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you buy a flatbed for your TC?

Buzzardcheater
Explorer
Explorer
Curious to see thoughts about a flatbed for a truck camper. Seems like pros are more storage with side lockers, cons are potentially less stability and need for solid tie-downs.

My situation is that I'm hunting for a used 1-ton as I upgrade to hauling a big TC - likely a Lance 1172 (my dream proto-retirement rig). It wouldn't be a daily driver, but it would need to do some hauling/towing in addition to carrying the TC. Given that I'm looking for recent used vehicles, I'm seeing a fair number of flatbeds.

So - y'all have the experience and opinions... thoughts?
2017 Lance 1172
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD DRW diesel; airbags, torklift tie downs, superhitch
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
41 REPLIES 41

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never measure that with caliper, but just from eye observation.
Regular bed has about 2" cross members. Steel flatbeds are build on 3 or 4", while aluminium about 5".
So steel flatbed can add even less than 2"
Aluminium might add 3+ but can't beat the looks and low maintenance.

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
What makes me scratching my head is that almost everybody jumped on the 2" flatbed can add to floor level, yet from what I read 90+ % of TC users drive 4WD, that add 2" from the factory.
Nobody's worry about THAT 2" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before I started to investigate all of the different flatbed choices, I thought a F/B would add 6" or more to the bed height.
Although my truck is 4wd, the 4wd doesn't really add any height to my truck, when I dump the air bags the rear end goes down 4" onto a solid stop. Plus my truck is a low rider with the stock 225 19.5" tires.
My main concern with the height is how it affects the level of the bottom step up into the camper.
I'm still not sure how I feel about the look of the flatbed vs the OEM bed, especially with the camper on the F/B.
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2006 F-450 16k GVWR, Kelderman 4-link rear suspension
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes me scratching my head is that almost everybody jumped on the 2" flatbed can add to floor level, yet from what I read 90+ % of TC users drive 4WD, that add 2" from the factory.
Nobody's worry about THAT 2" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Fastbrit wrote:
If you call Shawn Martin or drop him an email He will confirm everything. He knows a lot more about f/b than I do.
You will have to be careful with your combine height. My camper is 108" tall from the deck of truck to top of a/c. The truck is 36" from ground to deck and will be 38" 39" with the f/b for 12'4" total. It is still 1 foot shorter than the f/w we use to have

Thanks for the info, I called and had a good talk with Shawn yesterday.
I learned a lot about the design and construction of their aluminum flatbeds. Discussed options and custom design changes.
It sounds like I would be able to keep the deck height within a couple inches of the OEM bed. I need to get some measurements on my truck for Shawn work with.
My truck has the Kelderman 4-link airbag rear suspension, I need to get the measurement from the top of the frame to the top of the tires when I dump the airbags (frame is lower than tires) so Shawn can see how low he can build it and still have sufficient clearance for the tires to the underside of the F/B decking. And also look at the dimension from the top of the deck to the top of the cab to make sure there is enough clearance for the cab over. My Eagle Cap is 48" from bottom to under the cab over. I haven't measured it yet but EC says the OAH of the 1165 is 112".
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Roddick,
I love the diamond plate corners. Yours is quite the setup.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jroddick
Explorer
Explorer
I've had this flatbed since 2006, it's very stable on the road and only 18 feet long overall.

Jeffrey

" If you don't think too good..... don't think too much"

Buzzardcheater
Explorer
Explorer
This forum is the best. All great feedback and food for thought. I'm still on the hunt for a late model DRW truck and will keep flatbeds in the mix - now understanding issues like height, extra storage weight, and durability.

Thanks, all! I'll keep you posted as we make the move to a TC this year.
2017 Lance 1172
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD DRW diesel; airbags, torklift tie downs, superhitch
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
F450EC1165 wrote:
Fastbrit wrote:
From the front bump stop to the side entry door ( the flat portion of my camper ) I have 108". The flatbed from the head board to rear is 102" For my set up it is perfect. Your Eagle cap 1165 is heavy also so you better keep an eye on your truck bed;)

My 1165 measures 104" from the front of bump stop back to the wall in front of the side entry door.

Yes the Eagle Cap is a very heavy TC, an extruded deck flatbed would definitely hold up better than the thin sheet metal of the OEM bed.
The 1165 also has a long center of gravity.
A 176" WB chassis cab F450 (60" CA) has a 4" longer WB than the normal crew cab long box pick up, with the wheel opening of the OEM bed centered over the axle you end up with an extra 4" space between the bed & cab (which on my truck is filled in with a spacer attached to the front of the bed.
I was thinking a flatbed made for my truck would let the camper sit a few inches closer to the cab as long as the flatbed wasn't too long?

Yep, that would do the trick. If you call Shawn Martin or drop him an email He will confirm everything. He knows a lot more about f/b than I do.
You will have to be careful with your combine height. My camper is 108" tall from the deck of truck to top of a/c. The truck is 36" from ground to deck and will be 38" 39" with the f/b for 12'4" total. It is still 1 foot shorter than the f/w we use to have
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Frank!! You have a realy nice fb:)
2014 Chalet TS116

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Fastbrit wrote:
From the front bump stop to the side entry door ( the flat portion of my camper ) I have 108". The flatbed from the head board to rear is 102" For my set up it is perfect. Your Eagle cap 1165 is heavy also so you better keep an eye on your truck bed;)

My 1165 measures 104" from the front of bump stop back to the wall in front of the side entry door.

Yes the Eagle Cap is a very heavy TC, an extruded deck flatbed would definitely hold up better than the thin sheet metal of the OEM bed.
The 1165 also has a long center of gravity.
A 176" WB chassis cab F450 (60" CA) has a 4" longer WB than the normal crew cab long box pick up, with the wheel opening of the OEM bed centered over the axle you end up with an extra 4" space between the bed & cab (which on my truck is filled in with a spacer attached to the front of the bed.
I was thinking a flatbed made for my truck would let the camper sit a few inches closer to the cab as long as the flatbed wasn't too long?
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
The setup like racers camper is friggin sweet. Should make for a lot more floor space.
Weight issue like bedlam said is a concern once you add heavy tool boxes on the sides and then everything that's "necessary" to carry since you got the extra storage!

My bed weighs apx 900# and it includes two single ramps stored underneath.
Mfg stated it's apx 2" higher, total of truck w/Fox 990 and Antenna is apx 12'8".

It's a 10' bed on the 9' frame if that helps...

Also, make sure the flatbed will take the hitch you want to use. Example, My mfg stated it's a class V hitch. The guys at Torklift had doubts about that as I did too. They wanted some $2100 to modify it and install a Super Hitch.. so just a heads up...
again,mine is a 10' bed so that might have something to do with it.. but doubt it...

Pic (Google format won't work here)

Side pic

Hope that helps, note it's riding high...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
F450EC1165 wrote:
Fastbrit wrote:
The flatbed I ordered is 96"x106" and 375 to 400 pounds w/o any tool boxes. Regular truck beds are built with flimsy sheet mรฉtal. 4 men (2 at the tailgate and 2 each side of wheel arch) can easily remove them from the truck frame. If you add the bumper and tailgate it is heavier with the weight mostly concentrate to the rear.

Is 106" a custom length? This is for a drw with 8' bed. Rear light panel at the hitch.
I assume you ordered it from the company in the photo? Yes, factory direct and you can pick it up yourself. 6 weeks if you want it built to your spec. Family owned business with excellent service so far.
Did you look at any of the other brands and styles? Yes, most of them. But you can't buy factory direct always a third party involved so more $$$ for transport and dealer fees. If you want something changed on the design it is a special order 2 to 3 months wait time.
I'm thinking about putting an aluminum flatbed on my F450, but I'm just starting to do the research and haven't looked at any yet.

From the front bump stop to the side entry door ( the flat portion of my camper ) I have 108". The flatbed from the head bord to rear is 102" For my set up it is perfect. Your Eagle cap 1165 is heavy also so you better keep an eye on your truck bed;)
2014 Chalet TS116

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The setup like racers camper is friggin sweet. Should make for a lot more floor space.
Weight issue like bedlam said is a concern once you add heavy tool boxes on the sides and then everything that's "necessary" to carry since you got the extra storage!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
7'x8' and 8'x8' are commonly available for SRW and DRW pickups. 8'x9' is common on the 60" CA chassis cabs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD