cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

X-chocks with spread axle

mikenem
Explorer
Explorer
New to the travel trailer forum from the hybrid forum...Just bought a 2013 Keystone Summerland with a spread axle design. Haven't taken delivery of it yet and was wondering if my x-chocks will fit, or what others with spread axle trailers use?
Mike & Emily D
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC
2013 Keystone Summerland 2820
18 REPLIES 18

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny. I hook up before and unhook after they go on the tires. I've never had any problem up to this point. I guess I need to read the directions more often. Seriously, though, I don't remember seeing any such paper in my box at the time I bought it, but I could have missed it.

It still doesn't make any sense to me that the X-chock could allow the wheels to roll so I've got to use a separate chock, but is designed to prevent the slightest wheel movement. I mean, that's the whole idea of how the thing is supposed to stabilize the trailer, from what I understood. I think that piece of paper in the box must be there to save them if they ever wind up in court over a runaway TT.

It's a concern to me if these "chocks" can't chock reliably, and that's what I'm using them for.
Gary in Western NC

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
Drum wrote:
Taz 23 wrote:
facory wrote:
All you need is the standard chocks. I got rid of my x-chocks after they allowed the trailer to roll forward as it came off of the tongue block.

X-chocks are ment to stabilize the back and forth rocking motion of the trailer once it is set up. They are not ment to take the place of regular wheel chocks for parking it.

I didn't know that. I've been using X's for a couple of years now and I can't even make the trailer roll with them attached. Are some trailers more susceptible to rolling while X-chocked than others? Under what circumstances is the trailer at risk of rolling with X's attached?

I dont know of any trailer that has rolled with x-chocks properly applied. The x-chocks came with a note in the box stating they were an aid to stabilization and to not rely solely on them to prevent trailer wheel movement. It also said to unhook and level up the trailer before putting them on, and to take them off before hooking up. There is no way that i am going to unhook and level up my trailer with out having wheels blocked so.............

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Taz 23 wrote:
facory wrote:
All you need is the standard chocks. I got rid of my x-chocks after they allowed the trailer to roll forward as it came off of the tongue block.

X-chocks are ment to stabilize the back and forth rocking motion of the trailer once it is set up. They are not ment to take the place of regular wheel chocks for parking it.

Sure about that? When using them with my fifth wheel,the trailer rolled forward a couple inches when I removed them after hitching to the truck, but never moved at all when unhitching with the x chocks in place. :h

Yep I am sure. There is a note in the box that states they are an aide to reduce trailer rocking but are not intended as a sole source of trailer wheel chocking. It also states that they should be applied after the trailer is leveled up and to take them off before hitching up. Now with that being said, I know lots of folks use them as their only chocks and lots of folks put them on before unhooking and leveling. I chose to follow the manufacturers directions. To each his own.

goingnorth
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use on my tt Bal chock I just added 8" of threaded rod and a long nut, about 2" long they are availabe where threaded rods are, and it works great, helps stabilize and won't let it roll. Works even if you use leveling blocks.
13 F250 6.2L XLT CCSB 4x4 4.30 gears

09 Keystone Passport 290BH UF elec jack,30"scissor jacks+Eliminator Strut Stabilizer,PD9160+wizard,custom bumper hitch,added 18.5gal FW tank,dualcam HP 1200# WD,Fantastic Fan,Axle Flip,Lexan screen door covers.
My Mods.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Taz 23 wrote:
facory wrote:

Sure about that? When using them with my fifth wheel,the trailer rolled forward a couple inches when I removed them after hitching to the truck, but never moved at all when unhitching with the x chocks in place. :h

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Drum wrote:
Taz 23 wrote:
facory wrote:

I didn't know that. I've been using X's for a couple of years now and I can't even make the trailer roll with them attached. Are some trailers more susceptible to rolling while X-chocked than others? Under what circumstances is the trailer at risk of rolling with X's attached?

Some people don't recheck them after the tires are cooled down and could loosen up...I have never had an issue with standard X's
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
Taz 23 wrote:
facory wrote:

Gary in Western NC

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic chocks are inexpensive and very effective. Don't have to mess around with jury rigging a set of checks or s-chocks.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
mikenem wrote:
New to the travel trailer forum from the hybrid forum...Just bought a 2013 Keystone Summerland with a spread axle design. Haven't taken delivery of it yet and was wondering if my x-chocks will fit, or what others with spread axle trailers use?

I have a Jayco WhiteHawk with the wide set axles. I used scissor type chocks with my fifth wheel, but they were worthless on the new TT. Just bought 4 plastic Valterra chocks. They work fine and for less money than the extended chocks.

pipefitr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Summerland 2670 in January and bought a set of the extended x- chocks. They fit well and work good. I would put standard chocks also if I were on a steep hill though just to be safe.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My solutions:

I'll probably go to 2 rods for this one:

Recycled scissors jack:
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
I use Rotochoks for my spread axle TT. Work great and would recommend.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

mikenem
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you don't need to fully retract them I'd just cut the rod off. Leave enough to make sure you can loosen them enough to get out
Mike & Emily D
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC
2013 Keystone Summerland 2820