cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yeah, another tire question

DMas
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2013 GMC Sierra Denali DRW. It still has the stock wheels (6.5 inch wide wheel) and tires, and it's time to replace the tires (lt235/80R17). I'd like to try the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but they're not available in my stock size - anyone see a problem trying to put an lt255/80R17 on my truck? Looks to be plenty of room. Anyone done something similar? Thanks in advance.
2003 Lance 1161
2013 GMC 3500
6 REPLIES 6

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you consider BFG KO2 AT? Similar tread pattern, stiff sidewall and great traction. They come in stock size. I've had mine about a year now and am very happy with them.
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

palmwhit
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running Nitto Dura Grappler on my '06 F350 dually for several years. Outstanding highway tire with very strong sidewall for carrying typical camper loads. It's not as aggressive of a tread as what you're looking at, but unless you're slinging a lot of mud or snow you're just making more road noise and they'll wear out faster. Here in the West we're on gravel and just unimproved forest or desert roads a lot, the Dura does just fine. Oh, and did I mention they make em in your size!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
GM has always used narrow 6.5" wheels. Just be aware mounting a tire with a 7.5"+ wide tread on a 6.5" wide wheel can have the tire riding the center of the tread especially when pumped to those high pressures needed for carrying a load.
Load carrying tires work at their best when the tires tread matched the wheels width unlike a vehicle that doesn't carry heavy loads ie; race cars...drag cars...off road vehicles/etc.

Get with a experienced truck tire dealer that sells lots of tires to LDT owners. Good ones can give you pointers on load carrying tire/wheel tech.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
I had 255 80 r17s on my Ram 3500 and when the camper was loaded the sidewalls would touch. Don't run it or use spacers

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Height may not be a problem but width may be. Check the clearance between the tires on the duals. You do not want those "kissing" or real close when fully loaded. It will cause early tire failure.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
This link will tell you the difference in width etc of the two tires which you can see how much of a difference there is..

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-80r17-235-80r17
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04