cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Almost there Silver , looking good .

Here is a mod I made last summer that may give food for thought to you and others with C-11's

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28537949/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
silver...excuse me as once again I am getting sick..

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Silver, you continue to astonish with your speed and competence. And the inlay on the table top is frosting on the cake. Well done!

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer

Thanksgiving dinner is going to be a little tight but for all other occasions its comfortable. Should fit 5 in a pinch. It's hard to see, but there are two D-ring tie downs below the bench to strap down a cooler.

They're not the strongest cabinet doors but all 14 of them weigh what two of the originals did. Barrel catches all around.

The new furnace tucked in its cubby on the left. 16000 BTU's is a lot for a truck camper. The table post is lifted by a 4" maple block, this might change in the future. The back rest is removable via button snaps.

Im hoping the wrinkles disappear after a bit of break in but they might not.

A longer shower curtain might be a good idea.

While Muley Point might be more appropriate, I've never been so this is what I came up with.
1968 Avion C-11
1993 Dodge D250 LE Cummins

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
Untimely update: I ended up having to replace the packings in my kitchen faucet. They look to be the same as the bathroom faucet The packings were readily available at the local hardware store.
Garry You're right about the mild weather this winter. I really enjoy it now but know the mosquitoes will come collect their due in record numbers. Can't see the Auora with 24hrs of daylight, hmmmm...
Good luck Tonyj and Shirley. Sounds like you are transcending to a whole new level of freedom. Enjoy it!
I wondered where winter was? Cajun has it trapped in his camper.
Keep it as long as you'd like.

The plan was to put the new furnace in the hole from the old fridge just like Cajun's AC. I had the lines marked, snips in my hand but couldn't bring myself to cut the louvers in the fridge door to accommodate the furnace vent. But the furnace had to go on the left wing, I had no other place for it. Once again, precious inches are pilfered from the dinette area for projects of a higher priority.
The dinette 'bench' ended up at 5'7".
The table 36" x 22-1/4"
Long story short, she's done. All systems function, no leaks(for now). It could use some trim here and there, curtains or shades and probably a few things I've completely missed. Enough work! Time for a test run and a beer(not concurrently). Just have to go over the truck to see what kind on trip it's ready for.

A video walk through
Avion C11 - 99% Complete

Pictures to come...
1968 Avion C-11

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool enough to "Hang meat"? Cajun, you crack me up.

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
I went the tiny window unit route to cool the avion, mainly because no new holes needed to be cut. It just went in the old frig vent. The problem has been that it cools the floor well, while the loft stays hot. Then just when the loft starts to cool off, the unit shuts down because the thermostat only goes so low. A fan helps quite a bit, but the problem isn't solved. The solution I found is a device called Coolbot, it allows a window unit to cool down to 38^ without freezing up! Now I can hang meat in the camper!!!!!!!!

tonyj54
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all.

It's been forever and a couple of days since I've had a chance to get in here. Lots of changes. New job, but nearing retirement date. We have put our home on the market, and set up an Estate Sale person to liquidate most of our belongings, including the AVION. and, we just bought ourselves our new "home", a 1998 28-foot Coachman 5th-wheel. Like I said, lots of changes and adjustments.

Learning to be a full-timer is much more complicated than I'd imagined, so I began researching where I had learned so much about our AVION, thought I'd take a look at what's been going on since last time we were online, and just say a quick "hello" and Thank You All, just one more time for all the great photos, tips, and encouraging words.

Best to you and yours. Hope to see you in the parks.
See y'all on the roads, or in the parks.

tonyj & Shirley
'66 AVION C-10
'86 F-250 6.9 DIESEL
KJ4OEQ 146.520MHz
CB Channel 7

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
SilverPompadour wrote:
I just had a look at the sink faucet. Pretty sure the packings on this one are serviceable but the 'spout section' is busted where the shower hose comes out. Sorry I hadn't noticed before.

Does your faucet look similar? I think the spout section may actually be removable from the base on this one also. If any of it will work for you, you're welcome to it.
I lived in central FL for about 3yrs, the heat never bothered me. It's those **** mosquitoes, you dont swat em off you wipe them off. My project would never have gotten started if I still had to contend with that.
I hear Alaska is worse?
Very few skeeters in southern UT. Blessed indeed.
Just imagine a parade of classic aluminum winding it's way up the Dugway shortly before sunset.

Sorry I can't help out with any OEM Avion bathroom stuff. Mine was all given when I bought mine. As for Mosquitos in Alaska, it really depends on the time of year and part of the state. Kodiak doesn't have much a problem with mosquitos. While anywhere on the mainland can get really bad. This year with the mild winter we've been having, mosquitos will probably be pretty bad this summer. Of course if you come here in the winter, there is no need to worry about mosquitos! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even try to repair my original bathroom faucet. I bought one with the shower diverter and was happy with the results.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Silver...thanks for checking on the faucet. I think I am going to go with a single faucet I saw at vintage trailer.
I am really hoping I get this thing done before summer, I don't do well down here in the humidity.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver Pompadour wrote:
Just imagine a parade of classic aluminum winding it's way up the Dugway shortly before sunset.

Yes!

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a look at the sink faucet. Pretty sure the packings on this one are serviceable but the 'spout section' is busted where the shower hose comes out. Sorry I hadn't noticed before.

Does your faucet look similar? I think the spout section may actually be removable from the base on this one also. If any of it will work for you, you're welcome to it.
I lived in central FL for about 3yrs, the heat never bothered me. It's those **** mosquitoes, you dont swat em off you wipe them off. My project would never have gotten started if I still had to contend with that.
I hear Alaska is worse?
Very few skeeters in southern UT. Blessed indeed.
1968 Avion C-11

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver Pompadour wrote:
If you're gonna race up the road to Muley Point, you gotta know when to hit the brakes!

So true.

Jane wouldn't let me take the Mokie Dugway. She just took one look at it and said no. Then that night she was surfing the web while we were camped at Muley Point (you can get 4 bars there...) and looked up Moki on Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor???? Who knew?

Thankfully it had good reviews, so we went down it in the morning.

Life is blessed on Muley Point ๐Ÿ˜‰

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
SilverPompadour wrote:
Garry, I hear you about jacking the camper on a windy day, especially the gales you get up there. With the interior gutted, mine was so light the wind really shook it on the stands. I leave it in the bed of the truck as much as possible. Have fun on your outing.

67 Im game for an Avionista meetup but things are too up in the air at the moment for me to commit to any time or place.

Muley Point is both a metaphorical and physical destination to me. In the metaphorical sense, I think I will be there soon. Meaning the camper should be completed to the point of usefulness in a week or two.
Muley Point, UT as part of the 'Grand Circle' has been my physical destination since the beginning. I've been past it dozens of times, camped Monument Valley, climbed Mexican Hat, but never knew it was there till reading about it on this forum. This camper was made for winter boondocking in the desert southwest.
That said, its looking less likely that I will make any westcoast Avionista rally this year. Just too much to put together a cross country trip on the heels of this huge project. Time, money, the usual. It didn't help that I used travel funds to buy a new LP furnace for the camper yesterday. If you're gonna race up the road to Muley Point, you gotta know when to hit the brakes!

Unless something changes, Florida is a more realistic goal for this year.
Rastaman, can you turn up the thermostat a bit? 43 isn't gonna cut it. Sounds like your getting it done, plumbing can be a real pain. BTW I have the original sink/faucet/shower from my C11 but the chrome isn't great. I put propane to the new range, works well enough, easier than my Wisperlite.
Ticki, Im not sure what those doors are all about. There were a few doors under the kitchen counter that were particle also. The others were ply but all veneers seemed to match? If no one wants them, Ill get rid of them. My buddy with the Ultra said he'd take the face frames.

Silver just go ahead and rub my noes in it...."finished in a week or two" yeh yeh big deal ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey I am all in for a Florida meet up now that our fearless leader 67 has suggested it...I am sure he can sought out the scheduling.
as a matter of fact if I could get you down here my C10 would be done in days....btw any idea if your faucet doesn't leak? I may be interested, however looking at mine I dont think they can be rebuilt,
I ordered the stove....should be here soon.
If you are down here in Florida in the summer, you will be eating those words.

67avion....we plan on heading down to Terlingua in April, (close your eyes picture the desert....I know you are tempted...come join us)