cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the Mulley Point Park in Alabama? I canโ€™t remember the post revealing the locationโ€ฆ Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Muley Point calls!!!!

I would like to get there this year. I have repairs on the '67 including batteries that failed over winter. And my water system seems a bit sick. But what do you think D1? Sometime in September?

LoneWolfSS454
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Yes, indeed! I walked past the Avion a few years b ack when we were visiting in Tontitown, Arkansas. I noticed there was smoke coming from the water heater vent. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and quickly stopped the fire - an electrical connection. Of course, the hinge was broken in the process. When I put in the new water heater - which fit like a glove - I had to get the non OEM cover and vent.. This camper has a lot of history. If you look on the center of the roof you can see the new roof patch that Chuck fixed.

Yes indeed, these now "ancient" Campers become very unique to each of us as we repaired things and/or added things to them over the many years we often have or had them. I so badly wish I still had mine...

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
67, very glad to see youโ€™re ready for the road! Having a patch installed by Chuck Cayo himself certainly adds to the provenance of your rig.
Any plans for travel this year? Muley Point beckons but remains elusiveโ€ฆ

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, indeed! I walked past the Avion a few years b ack when we were visiting in Tontitown, Arkansas. I noticed there was smoke coming from the water heater vent. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and quickly stopped the fire - an electrical connection. Of course, the hinge was broken in the process. When I put in the new water heater - which fit like a glove - I had to get the non OEM cover and vent.. This camper has a lot of history. If you look on the center of the roof you can see the new roof patch that Chuck fixed.

LoneWolfSS454
Explorer
Explorer
67avion, congratulations on getting the old girl back! Although I (had) to sell my C11 (& truck) decades ago (due to financial reasons), I see I'm not the only one with a non-factory, white hot water heater cover (although mine was on the other side, near the rear). Did yours mysteriously loosen up and disappear too? I always thought I had mine reinstalled tight enough after each use, but apparently that wasn't the case, at least on the day it flew away. I suppose it badly wanted a new home, off in the weeds/bush on the side of a road somewhere?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II

Me and Chuck Cayo at the Cayo facility in Watervliet, Michigan on a late winter day. I got my Avion back. On the trip south I stopped several times for diesel, etc and as Cajunavion says, I had press conferences at the pump, inside the convenience store and once in the restroom. People love to talk about the Airstream on the back of a truck.

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Am I correct in assuming that everyone has probably changed out their roof vents. I have been reluctant to, as I thought the original 2 crank vent was so unique and original. I installed a 7" fan in the opening however it just doesn't move much air. I am thinking I might have to get realistic and instal a maxxair. unless someone has another solution to keeping the original vent.

might get warm up there on Muley Point..

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Garry, we haven't picked up the '67 yet. Maybe in the next few weeks. I'll find out from Chuck where he got the solar panel, etc and get back to you.
Rasta, thanks, we will meet up again.

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
67avion great news....happy for you...

rasta

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:

Joshua Tree, California, 2020

Well, I got a call from Chuck Cayo and the '67 Avion is fixed better than ever. He found a solar panel that is flexible and fits the roofline better - avoiding the problem of wind lifting it from the top of the camper! And, it's rated at 400W - twice as much as my older solar panel! And, it fits between the roof vents unlike the previous panel that covered the middle vent!

So, we're planning on traveling up to Watervliet, Michigan, a bit later in the Spring and pick up the old girl.

At Last!

Would love to get more information about the solar panel!! Great to hear youโ€™re back on the road!! I have to replace the vent over the bunk as the plastic broke. Been too coldโ€ฆ wind chill below zero. Have plastic sheeting over the vent for now. Planning to use a metal one to replace the plastic one that always UVโ€™s out.
Also looking at upgrading the 2002 F350 to a 2011 F250. Both gas, 4x4 crew cab short bed and both have the same GVRWโ€ฆ.????
Thatโ€™s all for now,
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Honda-50
Explorer
Explorer
Great news D!

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II

Joshua Tree, California, 2020

Well, I got a call from Chuck Cayo and the '67 Avion is fixed better than ever. He found a solar panel that is flexible and fits the roofline better - avoiding the problem of wind lifting it from the top of the camper! And, it's rated at 400W - twice as much as my older solar panel! And, it fits between the roof vents unlike the previous panel that covered the middle vent!

So, we're planning on traveling up to Watervliet, Michigan, a bit later in the Spring and pick up the old girl.

At Last!

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
TCBob, good post and thank you for pointing out the concern. I share that concern and installed the deadbolt to secure the door when Iโ€™m not around Argo. I donโ€™t use it when Iโ€™m inside. The Bargeman works fine to lock from the inside and open easily. I rely on Shep, my German Shepherd to provide any additional security I requireโ€ฆ
Hope to meet you on the road somewhere. Ck

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
D1trout, for your consideration - I understand the desire for a keyed both sides dead bolt for security purposes. However, from a safety point of view it is dangerous in the event of a need for emergency exit (i.e. a fire or propane leak). I hate making this kind of post, but would hate it more if I had to read about a TC owner killed in a fire, and I had not said anything.

BTW love the restored Avions - which is why I was reading the thread in first place! Happy and Safe Motoring!
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW