cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making A Warmer Truck Camper Bed

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
Today's Project, Making A Warmer Truck Camper Bed.
Cedar Lattice For Ventilation. SIKA 1" Insulation Board To Keep Mattress Warmer. Flannel Sheets To Be Warm And Cozy In Bed.
I've seen others on the RV.NET forum do similar projects in the past. This is my attempt at it. I'll be traveling in some cold areas, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, the next while and based upon my last winter trip to these areas, I decided I better try something to make winter life in a truck camper a little more comfortable. Getting some electric booties to keep the tootsies warm while sitting at the dinette. I did a test with a couple thermometers last trip and found a 30 degree difference from the floor to the sink countertop, 40 floor, 70 countertop. The feet were very uncomfortable. The furnace is doing a lot of work to keep the temperature up.
I'm open to suggestions for improvement.
J&K

Video Link for those who are interested.
34 REPLIES 34

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Cut reflexdex for the windows also( like the pop up people do). But looks like a good install. Should help a lot.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use HyperVent under the mattress to prevent moisture and mold in your mattress.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 3 season Northstar camper which does not do all that well when temps are freezing or below. I have found a few mods that help.

A lot of cold air seems to come in through the back door. I hung a heavy curtain in front of the door that helps a lot.

I have an 8" thick mattress that provides great insulation, but it feels really cold initially. I use an oversized hot water bottle. It will take boiling water and has a knit cover to prevent being burned. I put it in the bed a bit in advance. It warms the bed and the heat lasts for hours. With enough blankets, I am usually comfortable without even running the heat at night. I hate hearing the furnace run all night plus it uses a lot of battery power. Condensation under the bed is a problem but I do not want the claustrophobic feeling of raising the bed so I just prop up the mattress periodically to make sure the area under the mattress does not become damp.

One of the biggest improvements I made was adding carpeting. I bought inexpensive, indoor/outdoor carpeting from the home center and spent a couple of hours getting a perfect fit. I was initially concerned about the carpet getting dirty but that is not an issue. I can easily pull out the carpet and beat off the dirt. If it gets really bad, I wash it. Even in the coldest nights I can get out of bed and walk across the floor to use the restroom without getting icy cold feet.

The next major improvement was to seal off the space between the camper and sides of the truck. I used slabs of rigid foam insulation to get a good sealed off area. That also keeps the wheel well storage areas clean. That is where I put extra boots, dirty laundry and misc items such a big extension cord and paper goods.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my TC, I used Harbor Freight's fatigue mat. They are 3/4" thick flexible foam and they interlock. It adds insulation and a little cushion.
Worked great for the low cost.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find that the foil face insulation directly under the mattress will still condensate , the moisture comes from you body . Better to put the insulation directly on the cab over floor and then the latttice on the insulation for circulation , then the mattress .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed