cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchorage Area RV park

refyred
Explorer
Explorer
We have been following the "roll call Alaska" threads here, but have not contributed. Now we have a need for a Nice full hook-up park near Anchorage. My wife fractured her shoulder from a fall while we were fishing in Valdez on Saturday and will require surgery here in Anchorage. So along with follow-up care we will probably be here at least two weeks. Currently staying at the muni. park. But would like a quieter full hook-up space within an 30-60 minute drive from the hospital.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you
Wally and Debbie
10 REPLIES 10

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
We have now stayed at both Golden Nugget and Ship Creek this year. Neither are stellar.

Golden Nugget = spots are tight can be hard to get in to as access roads are narrow. Neighborhood tends to be loud and is not that great (run down mobile home parks) and you can get jet noise depending on how airport runways are configured for the day. Wi-Fi never works (too many people too little bandwidth). Laundry is big and always busy (machines out of order as well). Pluses are close to Costco, and decent utility infrastructure. Staff doesn't seem to care much.

Ship Creek = Spots are not quite as wide as GN (not saying much) but are mostly longer. In an industrial area, but well fenced. Train noise (or train spotting if you like trains) and sometimes light aircraft noise from the municipal airport (depending on runway config). Utilities are fine and Wi-Fi works but can be slow. Laundry is decent sized and are in good shape. You can walk to downtown (about 1/2 mile) or get to the bike trails. Park has a nicer feel than GN (more grass, trees, "nature"). Access roads are wide and spots are angled. Staff is pleasant and they actually hand out a comment card.

Winner: Think winner is too strong of a word, but would have to give the nod to Ship Creek. It is close though both are 1960's parks in dire need of some investment to widen spots (will never happen as long as the fill up every night).

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
If you no longer require full hookups, there is a beautiful public campground at the Hiland/Eagle River Loop exit (first exit heading out of Anchorage). The exit splits into two lanes, stay left, and go straight at the stop sign, it will take you right down to the campground on Eagle River. Otherwise head out toward Palmer, a few miles after the highway splits (Wasilla/Palmer interchange) there are campgrounds on the left.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

refyred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses We will be staying here at Centennial muni park until Monday 21. In the mean time we will check out eagle river and palmer. We prefer a more rural setting and now the surgery is complete a little commute will be fine for the follow-up appointments.
Again thank you all for the responses
Wally and Debbie

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Palmer and the RV parks are much nicer than in Anchorage. We stayed at Mountain View RV Park and Town and Country RV Park is also located in Palmer. It is an easy drive into Anchorage. Friends stayed at Golden Nugget and there was a major police incident inside the campground while they were there. Think SWAT Team and many responding units. Some if the RVs in Golden Nugget remind me of episodes of Alaska State Trooper scenes.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
Which hospital is she being seen at? Providence has a few hookups onsite.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the Golden Nugget, not a great place but will serve your needs perfectly.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are at Golden Nugget right now and it would suit your purposes just fine.

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Golden Nugget will do. And it's on DeBarr not Tudor.

http://goldennuggetcamperpark.com
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I live north of Anchorage in Eagle River, and really not much in Anchorage that are decent with full hookups. Is the Muni you're refering to down by the railroad/ship creek? The other two I know of off hand are The Golden Nugget on Debarr (trailer house park and RV camping, very close to both hospitals), and the Creekwood Inn along the Seward Hwy (between 15th and Fireweed). Both are pretty getto in my opinion, but I've never stayed at either one. Did you check with the hospital to see if you can stay in their lot? I remember seeing RV's in Alaska Regional Hospitals parking lot for extended stays (on the southwest side of the lot).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Golden Nugget is on Tudor across from Costco and within 10 min of all three hospitals.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.