cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome Snack Food

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
After years in Mexico we have discovered a lot of different foods. Some you need to acquire a taste. Others are addictive. Here is one that is not advertised and not available in every Super. Called JOCOQUE It comes in various flavors. The best is Zanahoria. You can use it as chip dip or instead of sour cream on a baked potato. I guarantee you will eat the whole container at one sitting. Some of the other flavors are just too spicy. It comes from Mochis and should be available in Maz. Try Wal mart. Sort of a cross between Yoghurt and sour cream.

Moisheh

http://www.jocoquerosy.com/galeria/project/deploy/productos.html
26 REPLIES 26

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a French chef.

But I CAN cook!

Anything that comes in a can________ I CAN COOK!

navegator

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try peeled mango on a stick, lightly sprinkled with tajin powder. You'll need a napkin and dental floss later, but it's worth the trouble.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mais pour le but culinaire, le français est parfait, non?

French is wonderful when discussing cuisine, true?

Talleyho69
You have the same taste buds that we have. Love the mushrooms and tuna. The jicama is a wonderful treat anywhere-even on California beaches.
I have absolutely NO French.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Next time you are at an open air market find the stand that sells the "jicama" with a little bit of chile pikin and a few drops of limon (lime for you gringos) they are delisious.

The other good snack are the champiñiones en escabeche, the best brand are from "herdez" not to hot just right goes good with crackers and a beer.

Other good stuf is the Atun en Chipotle, the best brand is from "Tuny", goes good with salteene crackers and again beer.

Buen provecho, bon apetite--- my french is rather rusty, I understand more than speak, I read it OK.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's origin was produced on a rancho with goat's milk. Fermented then seasoned and flavored to taste. Infinite variations. Mexico's own form of a "yoghurt". Homemade from Oaxaca tastes entirely different from Jocoque de Jalisco. I don't know about the supermarket stuff.

My weakness is for rebanadas de mango dishidrato. Con polvo de chili rojo y jugo de limon.

Translated: Dehydrated mango slices, spiced with red chili powder and lime juice.

Some folks use sugar which acts as a preservative. I use concentrated ascorbic acid and Stevia. When I get back I think we're going to try going commercial -- that and mermelada de mango, low sugar. Dehydrating is the expensive and labor intensive part.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you will find that one in the USA. It is a refrigerated product. Even in Mexico it is not everywhere.

Moisheh

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I asked was, (not knowing much Spanish) I googled "zanahoria" and the translation word that came up was "carrot."

You are making me wonder if any of the Hispanic groceries here in Tulsa have the stuff on their shelves. Garlic and cilantro are favorites of mine.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
No there is no strong carrot flavor. Contains: Garlic, cilantro, chile chiltepin and chili serano. YUM!!

Moisheh

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
So, does it have a carrot flavor, or is carrot one of the ingredients?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff. We eat a lot of it when in Maz.

Talleyho69
It's great stuff! We found it first in Mazatlan, and then in Puerto Vallarta. We haven't looked here in Zihuatanejo yet.
Thanks for reminding us!