cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Belize by land

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping that someone out there has made the overland trip south to Belize?

If so I'd appreciate some tales of the trip (s).
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".
37 REPLIES 37

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to pass on a suggestion for a place to anchor for awhile in Mexico while you go across to Belize to find a spot you like. We like the city of Chetumal. Kind of a large town with a small town feel. Good services, quiet, and friendly. This RV park is on the Mexico side but you are looking at Belize in the Background. Hope this helps. These pictures are from 3 years ago. Whew, time flys.

Here is there website link. It is called Yax-ha Resort

Boat launch.

Pool area.

A few cottages if you have friends visit.

There is a restaurant and bar right on site.

Good luck and happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
The thought of a group going would be most appealing. But I'm not familiar enough with any groups to find some going south like that.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Have friends from Alberta that travelled with a group from the US through Mexico, Belize, Guatamala, Nicaragua to Panama and back. This was a couple years ago. They towed a fifth wheel. They were excited to tell their story and perhaps being in a group gave them more piece of mind. Just sayin'
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
1BryNelson wrote:
I was hoping that someone out there has made the overland trip south to Belize?

If so I'd appreciate some tales of the trip (s).

I copied this down, at least I hope I have, just to show everyone again what I asked. I asked for info from people who had actually made a trip down there, didn't I.

Some of you need to get a life or do you just like to start arguments!

Thank you John & Angela for all your input and Effy. Effy great article. I've copied that into a word document so I can refer back to it often.

Any others that have traveled into Mexico recently, especially east coast, please speak up.

I met a guy that said he had just returned from Belize in a Class A moho within the last year. He drove down there 4 years before. That's what got me started. He had intended to stay 4 or 5 months but liked it so much he stayed 4 years.

Bry.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
two-niner wrote:
Yet nobody has mentioned the hundreds, possibly thousands of girl and women who are missing from Ciudad Juarez and surroundings. Wonder what that's all about?

Having lived in El Paso and going back and forth across the border without concern, and speak passable Spanish,... well, those days are done.

To the OP, if you really need to go, then go with somebody similar to John & Angela.

They know what to do and what not to do. Don't go with a tourist guide book and expect to get by.

Kerry

Well, we haven't travelled in Mexico (by road) for a couple of years so specific route advice would best come from someone else. But I still wouldn't worry about travelling by yourself in Mexico. It's pretty laid back and easy to navigate and Mexicans are generally very helpful even with the language barrier. But, as mentioned, there are routes I would not choose for security reasons. There are Mexican citizens and RVers on this forum (QTLA) who are well versed on the best routes to travel from point A to B as well as interesting places to see along the way. Take your time, prepare well and enjoy your trip in this amazing country.

J and A.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Yet nobody has mentioned the hundreds, possibly thousands of girl and women who are missing from Ciudad Juarez and surroundings. Wonder what that's all about?

Having lived in El Paso and going back and forth across the border without concern, and speak passable Spanish,... well, those days are done.

To the OP, if you really need to go, then go with somebody similar to John & Angela.

They know what to do and what not to do. Don't go with a tourist guide book and expect to get by.

Kerry

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
It's more than just the death penalty issue with Mexico. Prosecutors routinely agree to take the death penalty off the table with Mexico and with Canada. Mexico goes much further than the death penalty and even though we do have an extradition treaty with them they routinely refuse to arrest or do any follow up at all relating to finding our criminals if the criminal is a Mexican national. If the victims in the US were Mexican nationals they will help a little more, but if the victims are police officers or American citizens and the suspect is a Mexican national they almost never help. If the criminal is a US citizen that flees to Mexico, then for some reason the Mexican police never seem to have too many problems finding them and sending them back to us. It's only their own citizens they can't find.

How do I know all this you may ask? Spent 30 years as a California cop. Got shot in 1989 by a Mexican National who fled to Mexico and was never arrested or even looked for by Mexican authorities. We now have information that he has died there but because their records (that you trust) are so bad they can't even confirm for us that he's dead.

Wow. I totally get where you are coming from after hearing your story. My dad used to say to me to hear all sides before drawing conclusions. Hope you made a full recovery and you are enjoying life. Also gotta say thank you for your service regardless of the flag on your uniform. Angela and I both served 22 years in the Canadian Air Force but I think we had it easy compared to you guys out there keeping us safe on the streets.

John and Angela

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a good article

This article is from 2003 but does a very good job of explaining exactly what I'm telling you.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's more than just the death penalty issue with Mexico. Prosecutors routinely agree to take the death penalty off the table with Mexico and with Canada. Mexico goes much further than the death penalty and even though we do have an extradition treaty with them they routinely refuse to arrest or do any follow up at all relating to finding our criminals if the criminal is a Mexican national. If the victims in the US were Mexican nationals they will help a little more, but if the victims are police officers or American citizens and the suspect is a Mexican national they almost never help. If the criminal is a US citizen that flees to Mexico, then for some reason the Mexican police never seem to have too many problems finding them and sending them back to us. It's only their own citizens they can't find.

How do I know all this you may ask? Spent 30 years as a California cop. Got shot in 1989 by a Mexican National who fled to Mexico and was never arrested or even looked for by Mexican authorities. We now have information that he has died there but because their records (that you trust) are so bad they can't even confirm for us that he's dead.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
"One other thing, I'm sure other posters on the forum are well meaning but I would recommend you listen to those who routinely travel in Mexico. Nothing wrong with reading the news and travel warnings but keep it all real. Just to put it into perspective, the Capitol of the USA Washington DC has a murder rate 9 times higher than the Capital of Mexico, Mexico City...and yet we will be visiting it in two years. Travel smart and be aware."

I'm pleased you are happy with Mexico, but I need to comment. First of all, I wouldn't take the RV camping in Washington DC either. Secondly, do you really think the murder rates reported for Mexico City are accurately tracked and reported? Not to mention most of the violent crime in Mexico tends to happen our in the rural areas, or at least that's where most of the bodies turn up.

If you want the best reason not to travel in Mexico it's because of the government corruption and the fact that they will not cooperate with our law enforcement to extradite violent criminals. If a Mexican national comes to America and kills and American citizen and then flees back to Mexico, Mexico will routinely refuse to extradite those criminals back to the US. There have been a few, but most they do not. That simply is not a Country I want to travel in.

Good afternoon. I certainly respect the wishes of anyone not wanting to travel outside of their own country. Everybody has comfort zones and those should allways be respected by others. I think you will find that many countries that don't have a death penalty won't extricate someone to a country that does. That is a whole other debate and beyond the scope of this forum but it brings up an interesting point as Canada, United Kingdom, much of Europe and so on are in this category and it does limit where one would travel to if one won't travel to a country with death penalty extrication laws.

Re the statistics and government corruption. Without a doubt Mexico among other countries have had corruption issues but without a doubt this is one area we citizens of Canada or the USA should not be casting stones. But in regards to specific stats on Mexico City I have no reason to doubt the stats. Having said that I would recommend caution when visiting any large city. You are obviously cautious on travelling in Mexico (good on you) and maybe for specific reason. I would be interested in hearing more of your experience in Mexico. Benefiting from others experience is always handy. We do it wherever we travel. We just returned from almost ten weeks in Europe and did exactly that. Pickpockets in France and Italy and gypsies in Spain. We knew about them before we arrived so we were less likely to be a victim.

Happy trails and stay safe.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy. We have done it. Great trip but take your time in getting there through Mexico. Travelling through Mexico is one of the most rewarding RV trips you can make. Great country, super interesting history and culture, friendly people everywhere and well preserved architecture. I wouldn't say its any more or less expensive than RVing in the rest of North America as many of the highways are toll highways. Highways and interstates for the most part are very good and pleasant to drive. Somebody mentioned drug cartels. For the most part they won't affect you unless you are buying or selling drugs. They are too busy getting their product to the rest of North America. Your route will be determined by your starting point but I would recommend the Saltillo through Zacatecas route. Amazing cities. Did I mention the food? ๐Ÿ™‚

Someone mentioned bribes. Can't help you with that. In all my miles and states visited in Mexico we have never been asked for a bribe nor do we know first hand of that happening. I'm sure it happens, We have dealt with cops a dozen or so times and all were helpful and professional. Just like violence, I'm sure it happens, we just have no first hand experience with that kind of thing. If you don't speak spanish you should have a phrase book with you. Make sure you have your basic "please and thank you's down.

Off topic slightly. Belize is okay to visit but wouldn't be my choice for destination. The Mexican economy is in high gear right now and has one of the fastest growing middle classes in the world. Not so much in Belize. If you need major medical you will be travelling to Mexico anyway. Mexico' per capita income is about 4 times higher than Belize and it shows. Don't get me wrong, we like Belize but it is a third world country unlike Mexico. There are some nice areas on the peninsula right close to the Belize border that could make for a long term stay and there are already some expat communities in that area.

Whatever you choose I wish you luck. It is a great trip and a lot of fun. I'm sure either country will suit you if you find the right place.

One other thing, I'm sure other posters on the forum are well meaning but I would recommend you listen to those who routinely travel in Mexico. Nothing wrong with reading the news and travel warnings but keep it all real. Just to put it into perspective, the Capitol of the USA Washington DC has a murder rate 9 times higher than the Capital of Mexico, Mexico City...and yet we will be visiting it in two years. Travel smart and be aware.

Happy trails.

John and Angela

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting read and lots of information.

RV travelling in MX
2013 ACE 29.2

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
We spent some time in Belize in the smaller towns in the northern part. We had no issues with crime but were vigilant and careful.

Then, we travelled north into Mexico (something very few Americans can say). It was another world. Machine gun armed roadside stops to "fumigate the vehicle for pests" - along with the bribes to go with that. Difficult border crossings and money exchanges. While we did OK, we were definitely marks for everyone around us.

If I could somehow get the RV to Belize, I would love to do it. But I would never travel through Mexico to get there.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have read members on this forum who travel extensively in MX. So it can be done. It really seems like you have to know what you are doing, where to go, who to use as help, what to avoid etc. I have thought about it but decided it was not worth the risk. There are risks for sure. With all the news of cartels, drug and people trafficking etc scares me enough to avoid it. But I have read a lot of that is media hype. Not that it doesn't happen but all of MX is not a drug laden guerrilla war zone. Some of it is very nice and easily traveled just like the US. But for me the biggest crux is this, if you get into trouble the lack of reliable infrastructure and resources to assist you is absent more than I care for. IE, police, health care, MH service etc. My insurance won't cover my MH in MX. I am sure you could get it, but that speaks volumes. There are so many places I have yet to visit in the US, I think I'll stay here. At least 70% of the population speaks my language. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 ACE 29.2

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a MH south screams that you have money, no matter how old your rig is. You're inviting trouble. You can't take personal protection with you, you'll end up like that young Marine from San Diego trapped in a Mexican jail with no help from our government.