cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Lafayette In to AAsheville NC?

bjburkhalter
Explorer
Explorer
Going to see my nephew this summer and wonder what the best route would be from Lafayette In to Asheville NC. Have never done any mountain driving so any advice would be appreciated. 2011 Coachmen Encounter with the V10.
Thanks
Brent
2011 Coachmen Encounter
5 REPLIES 5

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
john&bet wrote:
We used I-65,I-64,I-75,I-40. I very seldom shifted out of overdrive with our rig. I-65 south of Seymour is under badly needed repair.

That is how I would go.
I first used it in Jan.'70 on a military move to Charleston,S.C. from Cal. via home in southern Indiana just east of I-65.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
We used I-65,I-64,I-75,I-40. I very seldom shifted out of overdrive with our rig. I-65 south of Seymour is under badly needed repair.

That is how I would go.

bjburkhalter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the directions and advise. Much appreciated.
Brent
2011 Coachmen Encounter

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
In and out of Asheville from Knoxville on I-40 doesn't really involve mountain driving. There are a few very short somewhat steep-ish grades, but it's mostly curves and a few tunnels. The road mostly follows the Pigeon River Gorge thru the mountains, and it's a fairly gentle climb eastbound. Just get in the right lane and follow the trucks. They're limited to the right lane and 50 mph; it's a good speed to keep thru there.

Jim, "The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS