cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BEST ROUTE: Rockford IL to Mount Rushmore SD

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
First time towing a 38ft fifth wheel in this area.

What is the best route from Rockford IL to Mount Rushmore SD........

Then the best route from Hill City SD toward Cody WY -.........

THANKS
7 REPLIES 7

Bruce_Kyles
Explorer
Explorer
Joe: We have made the trip 5 times from Rockford to Black Hills and west. The last 2 times we took HW 20 through Iowa and Nebraska and come in the hills from the south. 20 is mainly new 4 lanes through Iowa and good road. Through NE it is 2 lanes but wide and straight. I drive my DP about 60mph and had no problem making time on 20. It is much quieter drive than 90. 90 may be alittle faster but not near as scenic. In Nebraska you have the sandhill region which can be a good stopping point. If you are looking for a couple of good stopping points PM me and I can offer some campgrounds.

Leaving Texas today for northern ILL.
2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
My preference is to take I-90 through Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota.
In Illinois - DO NOT go through Chicago. Guaranteed bad traffic. Take I-80 either to I-355 (tolls) or I-39. Both will take you to I-90. I-39 is longer but you will have less traffic and avoid a lot of tolls.
In Wisconsin, I-90 can be crowded on weekends. A lot of Illinoisans like to go up there and throw beer cans in roadside ditches on the way to and from their cabins. If you like water parks, the Wisconsin Dells area has some great ones.
Southern Minnesota - not much in the way of gas or food stops. The Pipestone National Monument is located in the southwest corner of the state.
South Dakota - things to see: Corn Palace in Mitchell, Badlands National Park, Wall Drug, Black Hills - too much to mention
Here's a link describing routes to Yellowstone. Be sure to read the section on the Bighorn Mountains.
Have a great trip!
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Dutchmen,
Lane closures on 74 between Champaign and Bloomington. Just an FYI.
I usually find lane closures on any road going anywhere during the summer. I don't worry about it or let it concern me. We are headed to Great Falls,MT in late Aug. and will be using I-74,I -39 or I-80,680/I-29 to I-90. We may even head clear up to Minnesota then west on US-2. Time is not an issue for us. The rest of our trip includes S.D.,Colorado, N.M. then home in OCT.
Been going to Rapid City since '78(USAF assignment)leaving in '87 after retirement.
We have used all major roads going west/east from/to southern Indiana from US-50 and north.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
The easy option is the fastest way to 90 and then just keep driving. As far as going to Cody is concerned you can either take 16 the whole way from Hill City to 20 to 14 or get back on 90 till 16 splits off from 90 and go to the south of the Bighorn Mountains, then hop on 20 going north and then west on 14. It's a pretty scenic drive and it's about 8hrs from Rapid City to Cody. Don't forget to stop at Devils Tower some time during your trip. You'll literally drive past it on the way to Cody.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen,
Lane closures on 74 between Champaign and Bloomington. Just an FYI.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutchmen.
we are actually heading to Elkhart IN in mid may to have upgrades done to our Montana trailer.
And then heading west for Rushmore (5/28), Yellowstone (6/7) and Tetons (6/15). then back across to Nebraska (7/5) before head home to Texas (7/17)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned for Mt. Rushmore the 2 weeks around July 4 this year. We've already made reservations for the entire journey. We're traveling from Central Indiana.

Our route will take us North of Indianapolis where we will catch Interstate 74. In Illinois we'll catch Intersate 39 at Bloomington. We'll be right through the Rockford, IL area on I39 and hit I90 in Wisconsin and then just keep going West. We are making the drive over 4 days, 4 days to come back, and 6 days in the Mt. Rushmore area, so we can do lots of site seeing in that area, including Sturges.

That's our route. You're welcome to follow. According to maps, we couldn't find a more direct way there, unless we took secondary roads. But in this case, we have destinations each night, so we're pushing a little this time. But still have time to site see each area we'll be at for a few hours.