cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route through Nashville?

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Crossville, Tennessee - looking at the map as we head back to SoCal from North Carolina. What is the best route for us through Nashville? We're coming in from the east on I-40. We're towing a travel trailer. Do we want to just stay on the 40 all the way or go south and take the 440, even though it doesn't go all they way through? The Briley Parkway to the north looks way too far out of the way.
My blog: Wanderlust

'08 Keystone Sprinter 250RBS travel trailer
'10 Nissan Titan
11 REPLIES 11

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cyndi H wrote:
We are currently in Crossville, Tennessee - looking at the map as we head back to SoCal from North Carolina. What is the best route for us through Nashville? We're coming in from the east on I-40. We're towing a travel trailer. Do we want to just stay on the 40 all the way or go south and take the 440, even though it doesn't go all they way through? The Briley Parkway to the north looks way too far out of the way.

Pick up SR840 way east of Nashville on I-40, then take it all the way west to I-40 near MM 176. Only way to go, it's a great road. I don't willingly take any other route around Nashville, and I go through it often.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RockyRoadCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid rush hour morning and afternoon and Nashville is no problem.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just came through there a few days ago. Just get on I 40 and cruise. We took 40 from Holbrook AZ all the way to Ashevill NC and more than 90% of it was awesome. A few short rough sections and just a couple of short stretches of ongoing repairs. :C

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Like edm3rd said, if near rush hour take 840.
If I were going through Nashville I always take 440 or Briley Parkway.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The newly completed (Nov 2013) 840 is only 16 miles further than staying on I-40 thru downtown Nashville. Much of it is 70mph, and substantially less traffic, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other. If rush hour, definitely take 840, or if you're aware of any accidents, etc. Also very scenic, and intersects with Natchez Trace Parkway that goes to Jackson, Ms (thru Tupelo, if you're an Elvis fan), or if you are considering a more southern route west, ie I-20 or I-10.

Above may/may not be useful depending on your ultimate destination, where you planning Memphis or a different route west of Nashville?

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The new 840 is the best way to avoid the Nashville traffic and "which lane" syndrome. Biggest problem going through town or 440 is having to know which lane to be in and when.

Plus, very scenic as mentioned by Dr Quick.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
stay on 40 the 440 is not bad but still have lane changes

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can alos take 840 from around Lebanon, to the south and come out near Dickson, and get back to I-40. South west section of 840 is very scenic. Traffic will be very minimal.
Dr Quick

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Either of the interstates/loop...Nashville, compared to many cities, isn't that big or that congested.

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
We go straight through on 40 but be alert to required lane changes to not go to I24, 440 and I65. It can be a mess during rush hour. I tell my wife to also be alert for need to change lanes as we go through. GPS is watched closely as well. If you are not familiar with Nashville, I suggest you look at Google Earth for their street view and aerial photos before you get to Nashville. That's what I did to get through Mobile, Alabama from Hwy 45 to east I 10 to Pensacola. You could take 840 around to the south of Nashville for a nice country drive but much longer.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Briley parkway is a definite no, too much stop and go.

I usually come thru from the East on I-40 and then North on I-24. Couple of times I came from the West I went through on I-40. Some screwy lane changes, but otherwise no big issues.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure