cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing a dog into Canada

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recall reading somewhere to bring a dog into Canada you need a rabies cert and a current health cert valid within 30 days. So if you go to Alaska an spend any amount of time you need to have the dog checked again buy a vet in Alaska to reenter on the way home. I talked with our vet and she says bring him in before I leave he gets rabies and checkup good enough for up and back. No need to recertify in Alaska. Anyone with real world experiance.
16 REPLIES 16

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My dog and I both had the "full treatment" crossing into Canada last summer from Montana... it took about two hours, first hour I was detained while they ran a full background check on me, including checking with the FBI, which caused them concern because I had been recently finger-printed in the national database in order to gain additional security clearance at work. The dogs papers were also vigorously inspected, photo-copied and filed somewhere, however they never inspected the dog directly. Second hour was pretty much unpack everything from the RV, inspect it and repack it (though nothing was confiscated.)

Two weeks later coming back into the USA, through North Dakota, homeland security took about 10 min to look through the camper, and asked if the dog was "good", I replied "yes" and we were on our way.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

robanddi
Explorer
Explorer
We have been taking a dog in and out of Canada since 2000. In the early years our vet told us to get the 'well certificate' but somewhere along the line the 'rules' changed and you must only show dog shots are current.

We have had problems with dog food going both ways but not that often. We have had to dump dog food going into Canada once and coming out of Canada either once or twice mainly because we did not have the original bag the dry food came in (this the was mad cow disease era).

One thing to consider is IF YOU WANT TO KENNEL THE DOG there are often kennel requirements including a fecal flotation test that many require. Over the past 14 summers we generally kennel the dog once or twice during the summer and it is usually in Alaska (for all day or overnight excursions). So we not only have records for current rabies but also kennel cough, flotation and the other 'normal' annual shots.

Happy traveling.

Diann
Robert & Diann
2001 34' Foretravel U270
2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Burton TX

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Presumably if you take your dog into Canada, you're also going to bring it back into the US. You need to check the documentation requirements both directions. (US could ask for a health certificate so we always have one, although we never have been asked for it.)
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
We have crossed the border 4 times over the years. Only twice, with visible dogs in the vehicle, have we been asked if they had their shots. Neither time were we asked for any paperwork to prove it (which we always carry).

We do worry about bringing dog food into the USA (but not back into Canada). We buy the smallest size bag and keep it sealed. We bring enough un-bagged dog food to get us to the border - not enough to worry about if they wanted to seize it (which they have never done). Only once have we had an Agricultural Inspection when entering the USA in Vermont.

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
Have been asked if we had vaccine records, but never had to show them. Did get hassled once coming back into the States regarding dog food. We had put a weeks supply in a Tupperware container. Border guard asked us about our dog food, how it was packed and where we got it.
We told him we brought it from home and it was just in a plastic container.
He informed us that it should be kept in its original container. Went on to tell us that if he really wanted to, he could detain us and confiscate it but instead he let us go with a warning.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled with two dogs up and back through Canada with only one problem.

The customs agent in Seattle was wound up on the topic of dog food possibly containing mad cow bugs. Held up a bunch of traffic demanding to see the package of dog food to make sure that it was a US product. It was in the back basement storage locker and was a US product. The folks in line behind me just assumed I was carrying pot.

This next trip I will reserve a five pound bag of US dog food to show at border crossings.

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
A rabies cerificate from a vet is required to cross the border, but certain provinces to have breed restrictions, such as pit bulls banned in Ontario. You will get over the border but could be stopped by local police.

Figure out where your going, use google to search for bans or aditional regulations.

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies folks. The dog in question is a pure bread liewellin setter. He is extremly healthy and handsome much moreso than his master.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Rabies tag/certificate and a healthy looking dog gets you down the road (or up the road if your headed north). If your dog looks ill, acts ill, or does something to bring unnecessary attention to its self, then you might get a more thorough inspection.

Remember these border folks see hundreds of dogs every week and have experience recognizing what a normal healthy dog looks and acts like. If they see something from your dog that they determine is abnormal, then more scrutiny is given.

Lakeside

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
We took our dog into Canada thru Roosville, and they asked for the vaccination certificate. We had it and we continued our trip. We crossed the border several times going to Alaska and that is the only time they asked about the dog.
Smokey&Bobbye

brinasmemaw
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, I have the shot records but have not been asked to see them just asked if they are current. Never asked for a health certificate at all. It has been smooth sailing through customs on all of our trips, going both ways.
Mac & Becky
Seeing North America one mile at a time
2006 42' Allegro Bus towing a 2011 Cadillac SRX

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Please note that:
•Dogs more than eight months of age do not require a signed veterinary certificate of health.
•Domestic dogs entering Canada do not have to be quarantined.
•Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

Travelling with Domestic Dogs
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. The regs say you need all current vaccinations and a paper to prove it. We go annually and I quit offering the paperwork to customs years ago but we carry it. No one ever asks, except maybe "Is the dog current?" It may help that when asked we tell them we have residences in AK and WA and summer in AK. Just have a current rabies vaccination proof and your passports. The Canadians don't much care but the US will not let you in without a passport or enhanced drivers license. Easier to get your dog back to the the US than yourself. Smiles all around...
Terry

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
I've had more difficulty with getting back into the US with my dog. Going into Canada has never been an issue... have never been asked for paper work for the dog going into Canada. On the other hand the US customs personnel have insisted on paper work... the rabies tags were not enough.