cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burns, OR to the coast

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Burns, OR - Recommendations for taking Hwy 126/Hwy 20 thru Bend to the Oregon coast? Have done in the past, just can't remember if we took Hwy 20 thru Sweet Home or 126 dropping into Eugene.
Any suggestions which route would be better...especially given this "tropical storm" may be passing thru the area :R
We are a 40' class A towing.
Thanks!
Steve'n'Kris
6 REPLIES 6

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the official Oregon Tripcheck, only 242 is closed due to fires - any you don't want that with an RV anyways.

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ya'll - we are in Bend now and plan on heading out in the morning to the Newport area on the coast. So SteveAE you think taking 20 out of Sisters then taking 22 is the best? My google maps is cautioning taking 126 due to fires in the area...which we figured there must be fires somewhere since the smoke is thick here in Bend.
Thanks for all the assistance. Coming through Burns this morning was interesting. Raining cats & dogs but easy enough!
~kris
Steve'n'Kris

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of routes depending on where on the coast you are going.
N. OR coast, take 26 or 22.
Central OR coast, take 126.
S. OR coast, take 158.
Personally, I would avoid 20 through Sweethome though. The road is more narrow and windy than the other routes. Additionally, an ongoing landslide just before you get to the S. Santiam River has you on gravel for a short section.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
where on the coast are you heading?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 If you take 126 then I5 north to the Beltline to avoid local Eugene streets was my choice.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed a 28 foot TT from Burns to the coast on highway 20 and also several times on 126 from Eugene to the coast at Florence and both highways were great all the way with full or half shoulders and wide lanes. I don't think I towed on 126 between Burns and Eugene but may have.

Many RVers with MH and 5th wheels on this forum have traveled both routes.