cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cape Breton Island

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Planning our first trip to Nova Scotia and PEI this summer for about 6 weeks.

What is a good plan for Cape Breton? Looks like staying at a campground in Baddeck is a central location. One day car trip around the northern loop (Cabot Trail), one day the southern loop (Inverness, Judique, etc.), one day to Louisbourg through Sydney.

But the first two loops are 150-200 miles. With stops for walking, sightseeing, eating...seems not doable in a day. So should I move to other campgrounds in different towns? If so, please suggest a plan where I don't have to drive the motorhome on scary roads.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
5 REPLIES 5

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must sees--Bell Museum at Baddeck and Louisbourg (however they spell it now!) Cabot Trail is no big deal, but ok IMO. We stayed at the Mira River campground handy to Louisbourg/burg. Anne Murray had a song about that river ISTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoR3SiIqBmI

https://novascotia.goingtocamp.com/MiraRiverProvincialPark
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for sharing you experiences, suggestions and information.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
We did the North loop in one day and cut across from Margaree Harbour back to our campground in Baddeck. The second day we took the southern route and once again cut across at Margaree Harbour back to Baddeck. Wasn't really paying attention to the miles, but we saw what we wanted to see without rushing and got back to camp at dusk. Beautiful drive!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
2 areas I really liked are the very northern part of Cape Breton - at least 2 days of walking.

& the Fortress at Louisbourg, at least one day of visiting many parts of that community and finding out what made it so special in the colonial era.

Cabot Trail - well I used to live within 1.5 hours of Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland. & that has at least 100 x as many places special to Planet Earth over the NS park. You see in the Gros Morne Days the locals insisted on being a part of the park and still are. The Feds insisted on taking local settlements away when they set up the Cape Breton Park.

Though, yes, Cape Breton has scenery and music.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Set up camp, then using your toad, stay about midway across cape at a B&B, continue tour the next day. We did this and got plenty of information at the B&B.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner