cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossed in Laredo, Oct 19.

haciendacontrer
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed our 1 ton F350 pickup today at Puente 2 in Laredo. No problems. Had purchased the permit online, received it in 6 days. Applied it to the windshield just before crossing, (in case of an accident to the truck on the road from Illinois, you would have to somehow get the wrecked truck to the border to remove the permit if applied too soon.)

We first went thru the declare lane as we had quite a bit of merchandise, and were told the franqusia is $300 usd per person right now, but will increase to 500 in December. Paid $2500 pesos importation taxes, and were requested to show receipts to confirm the price we paid for the TV, power washer, rototiller and a few other things. Without a receipt they can charge you what ever they feel like. This probably wont apply to most RVers, but just wanted to mention it. I think because it is slow right now they have time to be stricter than the busy time around Christmas. We did go thru 2 checkpoints and were asked to see the tax receipt, then sent on our way.

At the immigration office we obtained our tourist permits, were asked if we need the auto permission(TIP), we said we already had it and off we went.

Safe travels to all of you this season.
29 REPLIES 29

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Help...we just crossed at bridge number 2 in Laredo, cameras took a bunch of pictures of us, we went through the nonndeclare lane and no one stopped us to look at our passports, papers or anything. Did we do something wrong?

Talleyho69
Undoubtedly it will change in time, but for now, a different passport number will take care of the issue.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The negative is Mexicans are not stupid. They have one of the finest clench-butt bureaucracies in the world. Too many people use the "out" method of new passport number and Aduana/Banjercito will find a way around it. Try coupling driver license number with passport number. Armageddon. Recommendations should be made on an individual basis not broadcast on a billboard. IMHO. The disingenuous may sell a beater in Mexico, return home minus the 200 dollars then trash up their passport send it in and pay for a REPLACEMENT. Unless they move to different STATE a new stipulation of using a driver license number in conjunction with the passport number will eliminate this loophole.

When my diesel rotted 17 years ago, Aduana demanded it be towed to the nearest Corralon Federal. 70% of the distance to Zihuatanejo. $575 dlls for the service AND I had to ride along or take another car to sign the vehicle over and collect the receipt from the corralon. If there is a wreck, the transitos do the paperwork.

This is why it is a good idea to carry insurance where an adjuster can help weave the way through complicated regulations.

When Aduana says "NO!" at the frontera they don't mean "Maybe"

When I mentioned the hologram only thing to Policia Federal even they knew about the need for a valid receipt from a Corralon Federal. The personnel IGNORE a private citizen telephone call the number is not not made public knowledge. The police and tow truck drivers who issue FACTURAS are admitted when the corralon operators meet cops or tow truck drivers at their gate, the remainder are ignored. Voluntarily signing a junker over to Aduana...get a cop to help you. Standing at the gate of a corralon when no one is inside is a tad frustrating. And don't lose the paperwork.

Talleyho69
IF the worst happens, it's not the end of the world.

In the US, when you renew your passport you get a new number. TIP's are attached to your passport number. If you lost/destroyed your vehicle and were unable to get the sticker and/or the right paperwork, you can renew your passport and get another TIP.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In case of an accident where the vehicle has been totaled, you can send in the cut-out piece of the windshield or salvage the sticker along with the police and insurance report. It has worked in the past.

I asked an aduanera at la frontera about that. She said "If you have no papers from a corralon federal you are going to have problems". The paperwork will show you have formally surrendered the vehicle to Aduana. A surplus line broker insurance agent will secure a copy of the surrender for you.

The aduanera smirked when she replied "So you get a new windshield and violate Mexican law and expect to get away with selling your vehicle in Mexico?" Banjercito officials have acted very ramrod-up-the-rear when it comes to car permit strictness.

NO BAD DAYS slopiness has caused many a needless problem.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used bridge #2. The immigration building is almost beneath bridge #2, after entering Mexico keep to the left and follow the river for about 1/2 mile, then dogleg to the left. The building has a huge parking area and easy 1-2-3- counters. Bring pens.
I tried Columbia once and hated it although most others here like Columbia.

Talleyho69
You can get the form for the FMM on line, but you still have to stop at the border and pay for it. It's a very easy process, and just the way it is.

I suggest that you start a new thread with the topic Crossing at Loredo so it's easily visible. You should get the latest, most current information.

Welcome to traveling in Mexico!!

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies to this process so I have tons of questions. We are planning to cross January 4rth at Laredo. I see that there are 4 crossings in Laredo, Bridge 1, Bridge 2, Columbia and World Trade bridge. Which one should I choose? I am following crossing times on the BWT border crossing wait time app. But I have no info as to which crossing is the best. Also we will be crossing with a pet (small dog) if that makes a difference. We are driving a pick up and not hauling anything.
Also I read online that we can get both the temporary vehicle importation permit AND the FMM online. I see you mention getting the vehicle permit on line but not the FMM, is there a reason for this? Thank you all for your help. Sara

Talleyho69
He is so right. We watched and talked to a couple in Oaxaca Trailer Park not that many years ago that were having their windshield replaced. Aduana actually came out and witnessed the replacement and put a new sticker on the new windshield.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
In case of an accident where the vehicle has been totaled, you can send in the cut-out piece of the windshield or salvage the sticker along with the police and insurance report. It has worked in the past.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

haciendacontrer
Explorer
Explorer
Bighat. Single rear axle. Last year we took our one-ton dually with the truck camper on across at the same spot with a tip purchased online and had no problem last year either.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Useless to ask at this point unless you plan to cross before say New Years...

A different president, from a different first time at bat, political party takes office 1, December. The sexenio lasts 6 years.

I would not be surprised to see major changes of both migracion and aduana at the border. Hopefully, the changes will be for the better.

Ernesto, said, last night, a 50+ delegation of Chinese was seen at the Pemex building last week. Hello. Refinery financing. Hello. Engineering expertise. Hello. Refinery vessel manufacturing capability. Refinery modernization. This may turn out to be another Nicaragua transoceanic canal absurdity or something authentic. Interesting.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
So much for open borders, lol.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
One question please. ..the 1-ton truck was single rear wheels or dually?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Great news Barb & Sal. Safe travels the rest of the way!!!We hope to see you guys soon!
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison