cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eastern Texas places and campgrounds not to miss

SLOtowngirl
Explorer
Explorer
We've reached Houston, Texas and have 7 weeks to see as much as we can before moving towards Albuquerque, NM. We like to stay about 5 days in an area to visit interesting sights and do hiking or biking. I'm trying to use the Tx State Park website, but sure seems time consuming after using Reserve America's site. Any hints?

We prefer natural parks, state, county, national and would love suggestions.

Scenic drives?

Thanks for the help.
19 REPLIES 19

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed the state capitol, grounds and museum. Also, the bats coming out from under the bridge just south of downtown Austin. All were free! We can't get enough of the hill country!!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you enjoy public campgrounds as we do, Google 'Texas Public Campgrounds' by the Texas Dept. of Transportation. It includes all public parks including county and city parks. We used it all the time.

Great resource. Thanks for posting!
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Where ya at now? If you're still looking for something around Houston check out Brazos Bend State Park. With all due respect to Wichita Falls I wouldn't go there and Oklahoma on my way to NM. Find something in the "hill country" and buzz into San Antonio for the river walk and Austin for whatever.
Maybe work your way down the coast and check out N. Padre Island. Then Big Bend and something out west. Balmorhea SP is cool this time of year. Hit Hueco Tanks just before you leave Texas.
add: If you're in San Antonio Feb 23-March 6 they probably will be doing something special to commemorate the Battle of the Alamo.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
And a long time favorite of mine in galveston is Rudy and Paco s at 21st and Post office .

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Kemah Boardwalk = tourist trap . ..if eats are it just south in San Leon is the Top Water Grill and the legandary Gilhooleys , however, if children are in tow they're not allowed in Gilhooleys . And always there is much to be had in Galveston ,

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
You've received quite a few good suggestions, covering quite a large area - Texas is big! One suggestion I might make if you have the time and are traveling on I-10 out to West Texas is the Caverns of Sonora. They are some of the most spectacular I have seen. They are on a private ranch and were not very crowded when we visited. We signed up first thing in the morning and got an extensive personal tour! The RV park at the site is nothing fancy, but it is handy if you are touring the caverns. Between Houston and the Austin/San Antonio area are several really good Czech & German bakeries with excellent kolaches. You may want to check out some options on the internet. Of course, good Tex-Mex and barbeque places abound around Texas. Most are good, some are better than others and several are excellent! Very fine Gulf seafood can be found around the Houston/Galveston area as well.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Palo Dura if you're going into NM from the north, Garner SP if going into NM on highway 90. You shouldn't pass up Big Bend either.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Country Tavern BBQ in Kilgore.
I will agree with this place....two of the best things in Texas, Lone Star beer and ribs!!!
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If history interests you go see the San Jacinto monument, where Santa Anna was defeated and the Battleship Texas, at one time the most powerful ship on the ocean.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
If you like deserts, mountains, creeks, ferns, cactus and hiking: check out Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Caprock Canyons State Park, Ft. Davis State Park.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Inks Lake State Park

Fredericksburg and the WWII Museum

LBJ Ranch

Caddo Lake State Park

Add Tyler State Park and Huntsville State Park

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Country Tavern BBQ in Kilgore.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you enjoy public campgrounds as we do, Google 'Texas Public Campgrounds' by the Texas Dept. of Transportation. It includes all public parks including county and city parks. We used it all the time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Inks Lake State Park

Fredericksburg and the WWII Museum

LBJ Ranch

Caddo Lake State Park

Hamilton Pool Travis County park near Austin

The Texas Hill country - west of I-35 between US-90 and I-20 is beautiful in the spring, which starts in a couple weeks in Texas.

Headed west, I strongly encourage a visit to Big Bend National Park. My preferred route west is US 90 from San Antonio to Alpine the north to Carlsbad, New Mexico. Not much farther than I-10 but a much better drive.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT