Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiring Residente Temporals and Covid

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Good news for those with expiring Residente Temporals:

Visa Expiration During COVID

These are temporary programs and not all Inmigracion offices may implement. This process is available in San Miguel and where else, I do not know.

1. Visa Expires When in Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty.

2. Visa Expires When Outside of Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty. However, it is critical, when entering Mexico, that you complete an FMM and you must not mark tourist and best not to check any category and no stamp by Immigration staff. You must convince the immigration officer at your point of entry not to enter you as a tourist on their computers. If this happens you will be a tourist and you will need to start over at a Mexican consulate.

I make a lot of effort to provide the latest and accurate information and I do so with the satisfaction of informing others. Others, less informed who provide similar services, please research your own information.

Sonia Diaz
immigration Consultant
25 REPLIES 25

Talleyho69
Playaboy is 100% right on.

You are trying to game the system.

You would be better off and safer just using an FMM when you are in the country.

Play by the rules instead of looking for loopholes.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
that one is debateable. Some say you can, some say you cannot. I would like to get it settled. Its like RV's with a 10 year permit belonging to people who obtain permanente. I know of 2 people still bringing in their RV each season. A friend of mine is doing that. He even got stopped last year, but they only wanted to look at his tow car (which was a Mexican plated one). They were not interested in the RV and he did have to show them his resident card. If you look at the SAT regulations they are clear on cars, but not on Casa Rodantes. Its almost as if they are considered residences. I even know of one case where somebody with RP got another 10 year sticker. So who knows. I am involved in running caravans down there which is why I am so interested in getting the rules straightened out. It is a challenge. We all know the hassles over 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for example. Another issue is whether a RP can put a close relative on their title/registration and drive an RV. We turned away a customer who was suggesting that. I said no at the time, but pouring through the regulations it seems like that may be OK. There are a lot of grey areas. Who knows what implications there may be with NAFTA 2.0. Its also weird with taking a Mexican plated car into Canada. You can take one into the US for a year, Canada seems inconsistent by province. Back to the free area, I know there are a lot of RP in Baja with American plated cars. This is not quite the same situation as with the seized boats. In that case they required TIP's, cars in Baja do not. It one big confusing mess. regardless anyone with RP driving a car in the free zone would be smart to put a close relative which has to be a spouse, sibling or parents on the registration. Since the vehicle does not need a TIP, it appears to be perfectly legal, its right there in the SAT regulations, just carry a letter from the relative who is co-owner of the vehicle. I can find the paragraph if anyone is interested. It's on page 24 of the SAT Regulations, but still open to interpretation. Of course it a moot point where a TIP is required as the relative would have had to get the TIP, but in the free zone where no TIP is required?

BTW ,Moisheh, I am not trying to circumvent the rules, simply clarify them for others. WE have been battling the tuck weight issues for 5 years even using lawyers inside Mexico. We have finally pinned the problem down to a mistranslation in Banjercito. Even though they are aware of it, soem officials are still causing problems with it. It is cargo capacity, not GVW, BTW.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Even in the free zone you may not have a foreign plated car. I also do not think you can drive that vehicle inless the registered owner(your son) is present. Chris is correct. You are trying hard yo circumvent the rules. Should Mexico actually enforce the regs you could lose the vehicle and be tossed out of the country.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
playaboy wrote:
Tequila wrote:
here is a good one. Can you take a US or Canadian plated car into the free zone with residente permanente? According to sonia's website you can, others say no. That is the zone you do not need a TIP. I want to find out so I know if I can store a car in San Carlos and do a swap over. (the owner of Totonaka is a buddy) I like to be able to drive down and bring stuff some years. If not, I suspect all I would have to do is put a close relative like my son on the registration/title.

Tequila, you are a newbie resident. I would take everything that Sonia and John post with a grain of salt. Don't rely on them as a source of information. You are looking for the answer that you want to hear. You are trying to game the system.

Chances are you will not be checked north of Empalme. But you could be. It happened to me more than once. How will you handle it? $$$$$ Call Sonia? Lying to the officer?

What happens when you get into an accident? During the initial investigation they find out you are RP driving the foreign plated car.

I lived in a "free zone", Qroo for 15 years. I know of one car taken from a gringo in that time. He never got it back. Other times the local police in PDC changed their enforcement policies which caused issues.

I drive other people's cars out of Mexico frequently. I just drove a Winnebago with 9+ years left on the TIP. Being a RP, I got a returno seguro to protect my clients rig. At a Federales checkpoint I was asked for the RV's paperwork. I showed the officer the returno paperwork and was sent on my way. It could have been different.

I learned a long time ago while living in Mexico it is best to have my I's dotted and my "T's" crossed. It has saved my ass more than once.

X2 Case closed.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
here is a good one. Can you take a US or Canadian plated car into the free zone with residente permanente? According to sonia's website you can, others say no. That is the zone you do not need a TIP. I want to find out so I know if I can store a car in San Carlos and do a swap over. (the owner of Totonaka is a buddy) I like to be able to drive down and bring stuff some years. If not, I suspect all I would have to do is put a close relative like my son on the registration/title.

Tequila, you are a newbie resident. I would take everything that Sonia and John post with a grain of salt. Don't rely on them as a source of information. You are looking for the answer that you want to hear. You are trying to game the system.

Chances are you will not be checked north of Empalme. But you could be. It happened to me more than once. How will you handle it? $$$$$ Call Sonia? Lying to the officer?

What happens when you get into an accident? During the initial investigation they find out you are RP driving the foreign plated car.

I lived in a "free zone", Qroo for 15 years. I know of one car taken from a gringo in that time. He never got it back. Other times the local police in PDC changed their enforcement policies which caused issues.

I drive other people's cars out of Mexico frequently. I just drove a Winnebago with 9+ years left on the TIP. Being a RP, I got a returno seguro to protect my clients rig. At a Federales checkpoint I was asked for the RV's paperwork. I showed the officer the returno paperwork and was sent on my way. It could have been different.

I learned a long time ago while living in Mexico it is best to have my I's dotted and my "T's" crossed. It has saved my ass more than once.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The whole point is I am trying to pin down the rules. 3 years til I have to worry about it.

Talleyho69
I think you answered your question with your quote: Permanent Resident visa holders may not have a foreign plated car in Mexico.

It almost seems as though you are expending more time and energy trying to find a quasi legal way to do things the way you want to rather than just follow the rules. It might be easier to just do that.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Actually looked up the boat thing, never had one and never will, but you need a TIP for them, even in Baja. Like an RV though, good for 10 years.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
You can't come and go as you please. You need to check out at the border or airport. Your permanent residency is not a free pass. They keep track of the amount of time you are in and out of the country.

I am hoping to go to the INM office this week as there is a list of obligations a resident has to fulfill.

I won't argue this point, it's fact. If you want to disregard the law, that's fine with me. Rules are rules.

As for the "free-zone" and U.S. or Canadian plated vehicles, just remember the sailboat story and the 338 sailboats and yachts that were confiscated as the owners ignored.

What is the purpose of living in Mexico if you need to have everything American. Doesn't make sense. Finished.

Quote: Permanent Resident visa holders may not have a foreign plated car in Mexico. The only exception is where no TIP is required. Otherwise, it is subject to confiscation and plus a large fine. If in an accident your insurance is null and void.

I am intending on moving down full time once my parents are gone. The main reason right now is because I am working for a Mexican company and want to be legal, plus the financial qualifications keep going up (20% in January). It may be out of reach for me eventually. Also I am usually in Mexico longer than 180 days a year.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
You can't come and go as you please. You need to check out at the border or airport. Your permanent residency is not a free pass. They keep track of the amount of time you are in and out of the country.

I am hoping to go to the INM office this week as there is a list of obligations a resident has to fulfill.

I won't argue this point, it's fact. If you want to disregard the law, that's fine with me. Rules are rules.

As for the "free-zone" and U.S. or Canadian plated vehicles, just remember the sailboat story and the 338 sailboats and yachts that were confiscated as the owners ignored.

What is the purpose of living in Mexico if you need to have everything American. Doesn't make sense. Finished.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
playaboy wrote:
Tequila, you have a residency card but are not a resident?

I have temporal. I spend 6-7 months a year in Mexico. I will spend 5 a year in Canada until my parents go. I left earlier than planned when covid hit. i got temporal mainly so I could buy a Mexican plated car and open a bank account, plus I can legally work down there (I work for a Mexican tour company part time). I intend to stop RVing down there once it changes to permanente.

Ok, got it. Mexico does make it easy to get residency.

Talleyho69
Here in Guerrero we can get a driver's license and register/buy a car without having residency.

INSABI is free for minor things, and we think summers here are absolutely beautiful, possibly better than the winters!

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions as to where it is better to live.

So far we have had no reason to get a bank account here.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
You can come and go as you please. The advantage is no hassles opening a bank account which can save a lot of money by using Forex to do transfers.. You can get a Mexican DL and most states now require you to have it to buy a car. It also puts you on medicare (INSABI) for what that is worth. I personally signed up for skymed. In Canada the advantage of spending 5 months there is that you retain Canadian Medicare. Summers in Canada are better than those in Mexico so it may be a case of becoming a sunbird, where I spend more time in Mexico than Canada and just visit Canada in summer. I will retain at least a condo there. Knowing I can go into a Canadian hospital for free if I come down with something real serious is peace of mind. I am thinking of my wife who went through 18 months of chemo 3 years ago. She flew back for 3 days every 3 weeks. Chemo drugs in mexico are in short supply and I suspect even with airfare it worked out cheaper. All she paid for in Canada was parking.

I may go fro citizenship eventually, I already have Canadian & British and my spanish is getting better all the time.