cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fort Bragg to San Francisco on Hwy 1

Birdie123
Explorer
Explorer
We will be coming down south on Hwy 101 California and would like to get over to Hwy 1 as soon as possible near Fort Bragg. The Hwy 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg looks very very curvy and slow. But the Hwy 128 from Ukiah to Hwy 1 looks like it goes up north for a ways before it meets up with Hwy 1 so looks like some backtracking but a little more straight. any one have any suggestions or experiences on this two different routes. We will be doing this trip the first two weeks of December and we are driving a 26ft Motorhome. Also any suggestions of a good easy route when we get closer to San Francisco to take off Hwy 1 and a RV Park that is close to San Francisco but we can go into San Francisco for day trips. We do not have a car but I wouldn't drive a car in San Fran anyways been there and wasted my money on a car that I didn't use. Thank You
9 REPLIES 9

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
One option would be to camp at
Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area at the south end of the northern redwoods (there's another redwood area around Santa Cruz), and leaving the trailer there, explore CA1 out to the coast. Based on that you can decide whether to take the trailer that way.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Anderson Valley is a very pretty drive and not too twisty until you get to the coast. It is not bad in any rig less than 28 feet in total length but longer rigs can still get by, the logging trucks do after all. Plan on averaging 25 MPH and you will be OK.

Not a lot of places to pull out with a long RV and few places to stay and camp with an RV as well along Hwy 1.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
As said before CA-20 is doable in a 26' MH, we have done it in our 27' with no problems.

The KOA in Petaluma is a nice park to stay at. They have day sightseeing trips available into the city. We have stayed there several times with no problems. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check with the Petaluma CG for transportation to SF and consider using he ferry out of Sausalito. I don't recommend the CG at Candle Stick as it's adjacent to a high crime area. There is a CG in Daly City on US 1 but check on transportation.

South San Francisco has a CG within walking distance of BART. I drove through it for a quick check and it looked OK.

There are no SF CGs. Your only other choice would be one in the East Bay near BART.

Crossing the GG bridge there are no toll takers but you have to pay. Stay right drive through, wait a day and pay online. I don't recommend 101 through SF but perhaps OK with 26'. I take the second right after the bridge to 19th Ave to 280.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've driven US 1 with a 36' with toad. It's a slow but good coast road. Near Leggett there are 15 MPH switch backs but then not so bad. Or 20 is not to bad and I wouldn't go down to 128 and back to Ft Bragg.

Wish I could go to Ft Bragg but 20 is also prohibited for us.

Approaching the GG bridge 1 is windy. South of Bodega Bay you could take the cutoff to Petaluma - good road.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
I believe that access is restricted to rv's shorter than 40 feet. Friends went down the 101 in a 45 footer with a toad and it was very tight.
MHs over 40' are prohibited on most of US 1 and other roads in California. I think you meant 1 not 101 and your friends would have been on prohibited roads with their rig.

Bob

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
No problems on 20 driving a 26 footer. Grab second gear and let the engine do some of the work braking. It takes about an hour of leisure driving to make the 33 miles or so. Plenty of pullouts to let traffic by and to get some air if passengers are prone to car sickness.

There are lots of rv campgrounds in the area.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that access is restricted to rv's shorter than 40 feet. Friends went down the 101 in a 45 footer with a toad and it was very tight.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled the hwy from Fort Bragg to Willits a couple of times. It's slow but fine.

We stay at KOA in Petaluma which is about 30 min. north of San Francisco on the 101.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen