cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gold Canyon to Holbrook AZ

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Currently in Gold Canyon rain, but I shall be heading back to Denver in a few weeks and am thinking of taking 87, 260, 377. Even with all the rain today, AZ DOT shows the roads wet, clear and open with no restrictions. I have done a search and it seems this is better than 60 and 77 with fewer curves. I am used to mountain driving in CO and have a 26 foot Winnebago Via so I think I should be ok. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. 10 day forecast looks good.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B
9 REPLIES 9

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain, I think you are 2 or 3 spaces up from us! Thanks for all the input from others.

Go Patriots!
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Our preferred route also. Take the 202 north to University (or Brown) then left on Ellsworth. Over Usury pass and right on the Bush highway to 87. I like 87 because it is all four lanes to Payson and there are lots of passing lanes on 260 for others to get around me.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We too are in Gold Canyon. Thought I was going to drown yesterday.. Our Oregon Scientific weather station showed 1.6" yesterday. That is our preferred route from Gold Canyon to Colorado. The Salt Canyon is spectacular. We drive it in our signature rig.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
NM Roads Link is pretty good. Use the camera tab and see live pictures of the road along your route. Gallup, La Bahada grade, Gloretta Pass, Raton, etc are snow and ice this morning but should be fine in 10 days.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled that way and there is a pretty hard pull from Payson to the top of the rim. It is a good road however.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We go to SE Colorado several times a year and the route that you laid out is IMHO the best route there is.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
If you drive the mountain passes of Colorado. AZ 60, the Salt Canyon road, is a piece of cake. It is hilly and curvy but not bad. We drive it often. It is beautiful and has a lot of turn-outs so you can check out the canyon and take some pictures.
jesseannie

Sorry double post

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
If you drive the mountain passes of Colorado. AZ 60, the Salt Canyon road, is a piece of cake. It is hilly and curvy but not bad. We drive it often. It is beautiful and has a lot of turn-outs so you can check out the canyon and take some pictures.
jesseannie

Z_Yah
Explorer
Explorer
Also from Colorado ,we head home using the bush highway to 87 than to Payson