cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Junction, CO to Sandy UT

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Longmont, Co to Sandy, UT. Wondering what route to take from Grand Junction to Sandy. Not in a hurry but don't want to overtax the driver (DH). Any advice on taking (or NOT) Hwy 191/6 from I-70 to Price then over to Provo and north? Any suggestions? We are 40' pulling tow. Thanks!
Steve'n'Kris
7 REPLIES 7

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded! In checking the website suggested by Bionic Man (CoTrip) it did say I-70 was to be closed 8/12 and 8/13 and they gave alternate routes. Thankfully we won't be traveling those days so hope they get the needed repairs done and we can travel I-70. The advice to take a jump off I-70 at exit 214 and see Moab sounds like a terrific idea (imagine it will be a bit warm there this time of year) but we missed seeing that part of Utah a few years back. We may return to the Richfield area as we missed the bike trail along the river near Big Rock Candy Mountain and thought we might fit it into this trip! Could go up 137 to Hwy 89 to 6 although don't know about those roads. Tough finding a spot to camp near Sandy! Closest nice RV spots look to be down by Provo! Again, thanks for input! Truly appreciate all opinions and advice!
Steve'n'Kris

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rvdivers wrote:
We are traveling from Longmont, Co to Sandy, UT. Wondering what route to take from Grand Junction to Sandy. Not in a hurry but don't want to overtax the driver (DH). Any advice on taking (or NOT) Hwy 191/6 from I-70 to Price then over to Provo and north? Any suggestions? We are 40' pulling tow. Thanks!

rvdivers wrote:
We did the I-80 from SLC to Cheyenne last May on our way East - no fun. We had headwinds (our mileage was lousy) and it had snowed the week before so the RV parks along the way were a bit mucky. Just thought we'd go a different route over I-70 to Grand Junction and then up to Sandy. I am not familiar with Glenwood Canyon. Will there be information on Colorado Interstates on the web? Is I-70 a problem? Thanks for responding!

Having driven all the routes suggested, we favor the I-70 route, beautiful drive and I will suggest you do a few of the pull outs in Glenwood Canyon and look over the Colorado River, Just Beautiful!

Rt 191 up to Sandy can be an issue as it is driven by a large number of trucks and they fly - so keep and eye in your mirror and just stay out of the way. (not an issue but just be aware) If you would like one of the more scenic drives in all of Utah jump of at exit 214 and drive Route 128 along the Colorado river into Moab, then take Rt 191 back north - this is a drive we will go out of the way to do, again and again. This drive I've recommended to many and never had anything but "Thank You" so think about the extra hour as time well spent.

Rt 40 would be my second choice and I love Berthoud Pass and Rabbit Ears ...... so this might not be for everyone ,,,,, Stagecoach State Park - Steamboat Lake SP - and Yampa SP are all on this route and provide Great CG's. One more added Bonus on this Rt is Dino NM well worth the time to spend the night. Rt 40 will bring you in by Park City and Jordanelle SP, another spot to spend the night.

SLC and the Wasatch Mountains are just Beautiful so just one more added benefit of the choice of this route, is the fact that you will need to drive through them to get to Sandy.

I-80 did it once and just not for me, so never again. IMHO the trip needs to be as good as the destination.

Hope this is of some help and not too confusing, Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a problem with 191/6 route, though haven't used it in snowy weather. The 2 lane road is good, less traffic than the interstate. The climbs aren't that bad.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
CoTrip will have all closure info. Like I said, if they are doing rock mitigation in Glenwood Canyon, they re-route you either down to Hwy 50 or up Hwy 40. If you go Hwy 40, you can take that all the way into Utah. It would make more sense than going back down to I70.

Either detour easily adds 2 hours to the trip.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
We did the I-80 from SLC to Cheyenne last May on our way East - no fun. We had headwinds (our mileage was lousy) and it had snowed the week before so the RV parks along the way were a bit mucky. Just thought we'd go a different route over I-70 to Grand Junction and then up to Sandy. I am not familiar with Glenwood Canyon. Will there be information on Colorado Interstates on the web? Is I-70 a problem? Thanks for responding!
Steve'n'Kris

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I did Denver to SLC via Wyoming, the head wind was killer, and that was in an empty truck. I vowed to never again drive West on I-80.

Grand Junction to Green River is typical Interstate style, some climbing along the way, but nothing like you will have already dealt with all the way to Vail.

Green River to Price is a race track. There are twice as many people out in the middle of the desert for no reason, and they are driving ahellofa lot faster than they should be, and there is minimal patrol. With that said, there is one good climb and the rest is flat/minor grades.

From Price to Spanish Fork, you have a steep and windy climb out of Price, but there is a passing lane for the majority of it, and on the downhill side, there are plenty of passing lanes along the way.

If the wind doesn't blow, I-80 is to route to take.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It is probably a shorter trip to go up to I 80 and across. I would go I25 to 287 to I80 and across Wyoming.

If you chose the other route, Hwy 6 across and up is fine. Make sure you check traffic conditions across I70 through Glenwood Canyon. I believe they are closed again today for rock mitigation. The detour would easily add a couple hours to your trip.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010