cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headed for Bella Coola

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I'm finally going to hit the road tomorrow! I managed to pull some back muscles in a pretty serious way and have been waiting for them to heal, but they're taking too long, so I'm just going to go anyway as time's a wastin'. Since I tent/car camp, I may have to get a few motel rooms, but so be it.

I was going to Alaska (went last summer, it was great), but now I think I want to go see the Great Bear Rainforest and Bella Coola. I'll drive from Colorado - have been to Williams Lake where you turn off to Bella Coola, so some of it's familiar country, but the road on across the Chilcotin is all new.

I'll have three dogs with me, all good travelers who go all over with me. I may take the ferry back to Port Hardy or even on up to Alaska, but knowing my concern for the dogs over being pent up too long, I'll probably drive instead of taking a ferry.

Anyway, any words of encouragement and/or sage advice or travel tips would be greatly appreciated. Have been reading Explore North's blog about his trip there, so have an idea of what's what. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I learned an important thing on that hill. We were descending in a 3/4 ton van pulling a popup tent trailer on a hot day. Second gear, using the brakes only on switchbacks. Daughter in the back had her window open and she noticed a hot smell. I stopped immediately and found the smell was from the wheels, the rear drum brakes I think. Waited a few minutes for them to cool, then proceeded in first gear to the rest stop half way down where there was the remains of a melted vehicle. The thing is it is a LONG hill with many switchbacks and you can't be using the brakes very much at all on a hot day with poor cooling due to low speed.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my Class A and toad into Bella Coola in April, and posted a detailed road log of The Hill, with a lot of photos, in both directions. I shot and recorded the details for the log when I was just driving the toad 🙂
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I'm considering adding Bella Coola to our return turn to Alaska via Canada. Would like to know when the best time to see bears there.

garyhaupt wrote:
Yeah...mosquitoes and black flies. Living up north until just recently, I did find and use a great homemade bug repellent. A sealer filled with Apple Cider vinegar and a nice fat handful of fresh spinach. Crush the spinach in your hands to get all bruised and such...let it sit in the fridge overnight. Buy a plastic garden spray bottle? and liberally spray it about yourself. Yes, you can smell the cider vinegar for a few minutes till it dries...then no smell and it sure worked for me. Mind you...always carry some of the heavy duty OFF, just in case...but that stuff is pretty harsh

Thanks for your mixture for mosquito and fly repellent. Mosquitoes ate me alive in Alaska
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mean to put anyone off from going, eh. The drive from Williams Lake to Bella Coola is a historic one. Now that it's paved you can do it in one day..but why do that. Riske Creek, and Anahiem and all the ranches and lake in between are to be seen and enjoyed. If you are alone? And should you see an older looking FN guy hitching? maybe offer him a ride. I would, but that's me..not a younger...the young ones have too many gang associations. A person does need to know not to leave your vehicle for an extended length of time, unattended. There have been more than enough reports..and not hearsay..of vehicles being vandalized. The younger FN crowd...some don't play nice. That is just a sad fact of life up there.

Yeah...mosquitoes and black flies. Living up north until just recently, I did find and use a great homemade bug repellent. A sealer filled with Apple Cider vinegar and a nice fat handful of fresh spinach. Crush the spinach in your hands to get all bruised and such...let it sit in the fridge overnight. Buy a plastic garden spray bottle? and liberally spray it about yourself. Yes, you can smell the cider vinegar for a few minutes till it dries...then no smell and it sure worked for me. Mind you...always carry some of the heavy duty OFF, just in case...but that stuff is pretty harsh.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Zpeller. Farwell is on my list and that shot of the Hill is a bit intimidating, but I'm driving my SUV, so it should be OK. Love the glacial blue of the river. Thanks again.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

Don't miss side trip into Farwell Canyon about 20 mi west of Williams Lake off Hwy# 20 just before Riske Creek
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

This is about the narrowest spot you will find on the "hill" road
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic shot of the Hill!

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
One of my favorite books is Ruffles on Her Long Johns and its about the Bella Coola area in the 1940s That road would send me running in the opposite direction OMG.

The book title is actually Ruffles on My Long Johns and written by Isabel Edwards. Her husband, Earle was the brother of Ralph Edwards who first settled in the Atnarko Valley near Bella Coola.

I won't go into details here but Ralph Edwards was a man who has had a very profound influence in my life. Both his and Isabel's books have a permanent and prominent spot on my bookshelf.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite books is Ruffles on Her Long Johns and its about the Bella Coola area in the 1940s That road would send me running in the opposite direction OMG.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
As Gary mentioned, there is not a lot to do in Bella Coola.

The Hill makes for interesting experience but once you have done it a few times, it is not that bad.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Gary - bugs = mosquitoes?

I may make it a day trip from Anahim Lake or something like that.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The Hill is a thing of beauty. Biggest awareness? Watch for on-coming. Lots of single lane stuff.

If you are into Boondocking? once down, the river provides lots of opportunity.

The thing I found? Was nothing. It was the only place I have ever been to where I could find nothing to do. Yes, the river/beach area was pretty but the bugs? geeesus, I hate those things. The drive? OMG..fabulous. The end of the road? not so much.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I have a good friend who was a nurse in Haida Gwaii for awhile and she told me a lot about it. Highly recommended it, but I think I would rather go w/o the dogs.

Thanks for the link on the Hill, Orion. It doesn't sound any worse than a lot of Colorado roads I've driven. Just gear down and pretend you're in Kansas (don't look down). 🙂