cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hudson River Valley

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Headed for the Hudson River Valley later this year. Coming from Maine and hoping to go first to Croton-on-Hudson, then over to Black Bear CG in Florida, NY. Rvparky.com routes us directly, but Good Sam routing shows trailers not allowed on Route 6 (Long Mountain Parkway). Going back to Tarrytown and across the Tappan Zee is a good bit longer (and more expensive). Looks like no RVs on the Palisades Interstate Parkway as well (and most other major roads, it seems).

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

fred.
9 REPLIES 9

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, the restrictions are due to low bridge heights on the roads that were constructed many years ago. Also much of the land is park land and it was determined that this should not be a truck route. Considerations for RVs should have been made, but for some reason they are excluded. I wish I knew why as the drive on these roads is very scenic.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
I am back -- though not as quickly as I (or, apparently, you) would like.

I do appreciate the suggestions and will go over them in detail when I can. It seems NY isn't exactly friendly to RVers, at least in that area. We'll get there somehow in spite of the restrictions.

fred.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting how some people post a request and never come back for an answer......or if they do, never acknowledge the person who assisted.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
This video shows the entire route starting at Route 9W just after the pedestrian bridge at the West Point golf course. Watch the first 50 seconds very carefully as it shows every turn and all signage. The video ends at the junction of 293 and US 6

Read the description of the route under the video........ You will see this is exactly what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omu8j38-A1c
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I found a video of the southern approach on the east side of the Hudson River to the Bear Mountain Bridge. The road (US 6 / US 202) is narrow and winding but the view is great. At the 1:35 mark and 1:47 mark you can see the signage for Route 9W North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYe9AGcsWzQ
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the area. There is a Truck Route to bypass Long Mountain Parkway. The video show the route and signage coming from the West. It starts at the Route 6 exit of Route 17. Look at 3 min 35 sec into the video and read the road signs on the right side of the road. You will see signs for TRUCK 6 which follows Route 293. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_l_9H2JDM

Coming from the East the directions are.
Cross the Bear Mountain Bridge.
Turn Right (North) onto Route 9W
Follow 9W North Past West Point
Just after the golf course pedestrian bridge over the highway turn right onto 218/293
A hundred feet later follow signs to the left for 293
Follow 293 back to Route 6
At the bottom of the Route 6 hill (which the video shows) follow signs for Route 17 West

MP Soldier.... what directions do you need...... Infantry Soldier
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Fred, we'll be at black bear in two days! I too am looking for a route, but from the south.
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
It's a fact that trailers are not allowed on those Parkways(I was at Trooper at SP Palisades). I think your easiest route would be going down to the Tappan Zee Bridge and taking 287 (NY Thruway) to exit 16 which is RT 17 West. They are building a new TZ Bridge next to the old one and the river is full of massive cranes and stuff. Just don't do RUSH HOURS!!!!!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have time to check, but in NY and CT, if it is called a "Parkway" there is a good bet that it is passcar only.

When I lived there, I only had passcars (or heaps of loose metal that passed as same).

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.