cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 287 in Montana's

ngreen
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone taken highway 297 from I90 to Helena? with RV? any steep grades? or should I take Interstate 15? thanks,
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'
11 REPLIES 11

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Easy drive as indicated above and would be the route I'd take pulling my rig. The previous poster indicated going through Avon if you wanted to go to Glacier (not that you said you wanted to go further than Helena). Ordinarily I would agree. However, with the fires near McDonald Lake and Lodge, you'd be much better off staying on the east side of the park.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Took that road many years ago with 40'MH. No problem. Betsy.
Betsy

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, I messed up. He said I90 to Helena. 287 is easy to Helena and the flattest. Except for politics of running I15 through Butte, they would have taken that route and saved about 20 million bucks. And it is scenic, but not that scenic at least from I90. We don't take it because it's boring.

We live in the Clancy area and take 69 up and down when headed south. It is approximately 5 minutes longer than 287 (we have timed it) but is more scenic but you do have a couple small passes to go through but a lot more scenic. All the good back roads are 70 mph in Montana.

IF you are headed to Glacier from Helena, head over to Avon on 12 and north on 141 through the seeley lake area. That is truly a beautiful drive nice roads only one pass (McDonald) that is not bad at all. All locals go this way.

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove that route Thursday, the 2nd, it was just fine. Nice little bakery on the main street into downtown. Just 1/2 block off the highway.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the west, National Parks and National Forests are often colored, even on maps without topography. They often cover mountains. 287 runs between two such blocks. Turn on terrain mode and it's evident that the highway runs straight across a valley. It's straighter and flatter than either I90 or I15. The interstates meet a Butte, a mountain top mining town.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
287 goes all the way from Choteau in the north to connecting to 191 just north of West Yellowstone. Yes, my mistake, but it does cross Ennis, but the OP asked about I-15 to (north) to Helena on 287. As far as I can see, there isn't a 297.

In addition, according to my Road Atlas, 287 is a scenic route. I bet you can go to YouTube, enter in "Hwy 287 Montana Scenic Route" and it'll come up with a video.

Ah yes, editing because I just found this video on 287 from Bozeman to Helena. At least it will show most of the route.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 287 from I90 to Helena is just fine. A few hills but nothing to worry about. Mostly 2 lane with a few passing lanes to Townsend then 4 lane much of the rest of the way. Beautiful drive.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
287 or 297??? Confusing.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I90 to Helena does not cross over Ennis.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Montana's... what?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, no problem, gorgeous drive. Virginia city, kind of touristy. But lots like it. Ennis is Fishin heaven.