cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-17 Phoenix to Flagstaff

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, I'm looking for a road report for I-17 northbound from Phoenix to Flagstaff.

I'm pulling a heavy 5th wheel toyhauler .... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cee ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614
11 REPLIES 11

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BoonHauler wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, it's greatly appreciated. I'll have to get one of those Truckers atlases, thanks for that info as well.

I'm more concerned with the long 6% uphill's, my truck and trailer does well on the downhill's.

Thanks everyone that posted, you guy's are the best!

6% grade should NOT be an issue for that 5.9L CTD unless trailer is too heavy to begin with

That tractor motor should just purrrrrr ---mine does :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
As soon as you leave the Phoenix area you'll have an uphill with curves for a few miles. Then it will be fairly level for a while until the downhill described below into Camp Verde. Then you'll have a long uphill to Flagstaff. It's steep and long but we've been on steeper.

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended if you're going to be driving mountain areas):

"from the south into Camp Verde, downhill 6% for 7 miles". This is the biggie for your trip. Downshift before you even begin the downhill. Don't try to slow down once you're into the downhill.

Thanks for the heads up, it's greatly appreciated. I'll have to get one of those Truckers atlases, thanks for that info as well.

I'm more concerned with the long 6% uphill's, my truck and trailer does well on the downhill's.

Thanks everyone that posted, you guy's are the best!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
Between Black Canyon and Sunset point---7 miles

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as you leave the Phoenix area you'll have an uphill with curves for a few miles. Then it will be fairly level for a while until the downhill described below into Camp Verde. Then you'll have a long uphill to Flagstaff. It's steep and long but we've been on steeper.

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended if you're going to be driving mountain areas):

"from the south into Camp Verde, downhill 6% for 7 miles". This is the biggie for your trip. Downshift before you even begin the downhill. Don't try to slow down once you're into the downhill.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long does it take to climb 5000 ft at a 6% grade?

about 15 miles.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know how long those 6% grades are?
2014 BoonHauler 3614

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Up hill all the way. ๐Ÿ™‚ About 5000 feet elevation difference.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
We were on it a couple weeks ago North and South bound. Wasn't bad at all. we ran into some wind which makes some sections a bit tougher, but all was good for us.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Weather looks good this week. There will be some ramp closures and paving work after April 9 at the I-17/I-40 interchange.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typical divided Interstate with few sections of 6% grade

Worst area is roughly 20 miles south of Flagstaff where the roadway is completely falling apart......hot summer/cold frozen winter and heavy trucks
Big sections of missing asphalt/bad patch jobs with concrete/very rough surface etc

Don't know how heavy your custom dually tandem axle hauler trailer is.

I have a 2007 3500SRW and tow 14K 5th wheel.
Coming out of Camp Verde going north I set cruise on 65MPH w/o issue
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check this site before you leave. Things change constantly.

http://www.az511.gov/traffic/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel