cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-25 in Colorado

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recent info on travel on I-25. Weโ€™ll be traveling north from New Mexico through to Denver where Iโ€™d like to take I-76 northeast to I-80 and head east to Lincoln NE. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
8 REPLIES 8

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
UP DATE:

Thank you guys for your advice. I guess I should've check here earlier, when I posted this topic we were already in Colorado Springs. :S

I decided to throw caution to the wind and "go for it" this morning! We left the KOA a little before 9:00 this morning, it being Sunday traffic was at a minimum. We "breezed" through that construction zone near Monument! I can see why you guys said to avoid that area! I can only imagine what kind of mess that area is in rush hour, geez.

Traffic in Denver wasn't too bad at all, especially because it was Sunday morning. We drove straight through town. We were on I-76 by 10:15 or so headed in a northerly direction! Thanks again for the help!!

Dan

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Take Thom's advice. The bridge construction at Rocky Ford is done.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
I second Thoms advice. avoid Denver take secondary roads to Limon then north on 71. 71 is sometimes narrow, rough pavement in places, but also interesting. Its America outside the city. Is that boring to see the land, farms and ghost towns like Model? If it is perhaps you should rethink rv travel.
You will travel the same speed, avoid all the construction and The horrendous traffic. Safer and just as fast.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take Thom's advice and avoid I25. The section between Monument and Castle Rock is under construction and a mess due to many lane changes. There are accidents and traffic stops almost daily. I travel south regularly with an RV and avoid that route by using local roads. Longer but more relaxing.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips guys.

I see there's a bypass around Denver, 225 to 70 and I could hook up with 76. Is that a worth while by pass or would I just be better off going right straight through town on 25 to 76?

Dan

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
dapperdan wrote:
Looking for recent info on travel on I-25. Weโ€™ll be traveling north from New Mexico through to Denver where Iโ€™d like to take I-76 northeast to I-80 and head east to Lincoln NE. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

There will be construction projects, large and small on I-25, particularly around Colorado Springs, from the Springs to Monument, Monument to Castle Rock, and Castle Pines north for about 10 miles. Since you would be getting off on I-76, the construction projects north of Denver won't be a factor.

There is an alternative unless you have a compelling reason for wanting to stay on I-25. Take US 160 EAST out of Trinidad to US 350. Take US 350 toward LaJunta. Before you get to LaJunta, CO 71 intersects. That's the road you want to take, all the way to I-76. There's a bridge repair project outside of Rocky Ford just off US 350 but shouldn't impact much, with a detour posted.

It's wide open travel and some say boring, but well worth it to avoid the circus that is I-25. Fuel up in Rocky Ford or top off your tank; it's about 90 miles from Rocky Ford to Limon with nothing in between. Proceed on north on CO 71 from Limon to Brush, again with not a lot in between, and about 75 miles. Pick up I-76 in Brush (US 34 east a few blocks to the entrance to I-76 east)

It's a good state highway, but I cannot emphasize enough that it is a long, straight, boring drive. That said, I will take it over I-25 any time that I need to go from northern to southern Colorado.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the worst part is thru Denver. The rest is clear sailing.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live north of Denver and when we have to take I-25 going south we always go early in the morning. Like 6 or 7 am.