cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who's traveled this stretch of I-40, I'm wondering how the road is overall (winding, hilly, etc) for a 37' 5th wheel. We've been through the Smokey Mtns but not with the 5th wheel, but only looking to get over to Gatlinburg and then day trip through Smokey Mtn NP.

This is a pick up and pack up (from Tucson) our graduating youngest daughter from Virginia Tech. Taking the 5th wheel to eliminate the need for bathrooms, restaurants and hotels. And enough room to pack her stuff!

Thanks for any info!
13 REPLIES 13

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Concerning your campground selection.
Twin Creek is a nice campground but tight. It is close to downtown Gatlinburg. We have stayed there many times mostly with smaller campers but once in 35 ft MH. Again very tight.
Pine Mtn is very very nice and only a few years old. Has very clean showers and restrooms. Easy to get into and wide roads. Long pull throughs. Is located back off the strip so town hustle and noise is not a problem. It is located on the Gatlinburg end of PigonForge so if you want to go there the drive is only about 6 miles.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
the truckers are not allowed in the left lane for a few miles in the gorge. Sometimes they tend to get clogged up. If the timing is right, we will pull into the rest area, west bound, and check the tires and let these guys go on. These guys are trying to make a living and we are just traveling for pleasure. Let these truckers get on over the road and make it home

That's what I was saying, you really should use the right lane with them. They will set the pace and it is over the speed limit in spots lower in others.. You can get behind a "newbe" him I will pass and get behind one of the big boys. Like I said at 4am you cannot see those cures and how hard they are in the dark BUT you can follow the truckers taillights as they know.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
the truckers are not allowed in the left lane for a few miles in the gorge. Sometimes they tend to get clogged up. If the timing is right, we will pull into the rest area, west bound, and check the tires and let these guys go on. These guys are trying to make a living and we are just traveling for pleasure. Let these truckers get on over the road and make it home
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I do the "gorge" every year (sometimes twice) it is a twisty turny road with some up and down. I have a 2500 DMAX and a 39"+ travel Trailer. I follow a truck if he is dong the speed limit. If not I'll pass him and follow the next truck.. These guys do this run daily. It lasts for about 45 minutes then go back to the foot hill thing. Stay back from the guy in front of you as sometimes they need to brake and you will too. It is kinda fun after driving across TX, NM and other not so interesting states. The other thing I forgot was I do this at about 4:30AM in the pitch dark and in early spring when there are still snow storms and such but still with out a hitch (rv humor there). Have fun
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Between the 2 parks Pine Mountain is nicer but Twin Creek is closer to G'burg if G'burg is your choice to stay in. Things are pretty slow around here these days as most things aren't fully open yet.

If you decide on Twin Creek then take exit 440 or 435, either one and pick up 321 all the way to the CG. If you go to Pine Mountain then go to exit 432 and take 411 into Sevierville. You will go by Bush's Beans on 411 and its worth a stop or something to go back to. Nice little museum and cafe for a very good lunch. Great food. They close at 4.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
No prob other than closure of 1 lane from time to time (closed the other day according to the traffic sign I saw). Road is great. And I echo about staying away from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge unless you like the touristy trap stuff. If that's the case, youll be in hawg heaven there.

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I live in the area and have taken this stretch many times. You are going through the Pigeon river Gorge and trucks are limited to the right lane. Just get in behind a truck, keep a good following distance and use your tranny gearing to keep your speed down. It's an interstate so there are no hairpin turns or switchbacks but it is mostly down hill from Asheville and it has many curves and you will need to take it easy. Its not terrible. I have a 2500 gaser and I manage just fine.

Where in G'burg are you going for your stay? You can take exit 440, Wilton Springs, and connect to 321 to go into G'burg. You can take exit 435 if you want a Walmart to stop at before going to the campground. It leads to 321 also. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks very much for the reply! Hopefully staying in either Twin Creek RV Resort in Gatlinburg or Pine Mountain in Pigeon Forge. Confirmed that both are open, and I'll presume not very busy.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the area and have taken this stretch many times. You are going through the Pigeon river Gorge and trucks are limited to the right lane. Just get in behind a truck, keep a good following distance and use your tranny gearing to keep your speed down. It's an interstate so there are no hairpin turns or switchbacks but it is mostly down hill from Asheville and it has many curves and you will need to take it easy. Its not terrible. I have a 2500 gaser and I manage just fine.

Where in G'burg are you going for your stay? You can take exit 440, Wilton Springs, and connect to 321 to go into G'burg. You can take exit 435 if you want a Walmart to stop at before going to the campground. It leads to 321 also. Any other questions just ask.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A few curves and very little up and down. You should have no problem with that route. We drove it last spring. Visited relatives in Asheville and then went to PF/Gatlinburg for some rest.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled the other direction 2 years ago with the RAM 1500 with 5.7L v8 Gas w/air suspension and 34' TT (not 5th wheel). I can't remember anything particularly concerning or problematic. I'm vigilant about using the transmission to slow down on downhills and keep my foot off the brake as much as possible, never riding them occasionally stabbing them to slow down if necessary.

Hopefully goes without saying, but fwiw take into account how much "stuff" you're picking up and where its placed in the truck and fifth wheel. Weight and balance can make a huge difference.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I40 does not go anywhere near Gatlinburg! Take I40 west from Ashville to Hwy 66 South through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg. Those roads are doable towing your 5th wheel. Alternatively, you can take Hwy 321 from I 40 direct into Gatlinburg.

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
stallsmi wrote:
It depends on your tow vehicle. But we've travelled that route a few times with our 32' travel trailer and F250. No problems if you take your time and expect to go slower on some steep inclines.

2001 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke. But being an older truck, I don't have exhaust brakes. Don't mind going slow but I do like to be able to stop.

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your tow vehicle. But we've travelled that route a few times with our 32' travel trailer and F250. No problems if you take your time and expect to go slower on some steep inclines.